Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here
Default Can They Do This?

Quote:
If you're tardy to 4 times (doesn't matter what classes) you get suspended for a day

This is the new attendance policy (straight from one of the peeps I still keep in touch with) at my old highschool. Honestly, if I was to get this type of ISH and I was in highschool still, I would be late 4 times in the first day and then tell them to make me come home the following day... tell them to make me stay home and not go to class... tell them to keep me from learning.

With normal and even halfway logical people, this would work. Doesn't matter. These jackasses already f*cked with my little FRESHMAN brother on his VERY FIRST day today, and any administrator/principal/schmuck/watever who messes with my fam is gonna get a little taste of something.

I got nothing concrete yet, but I know the school superintendent very very well... perhaps a few formal complaints will make me feel better, even if it accomplishes nothing. However, there will be riots at this school... there really will be.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Can They Do This?

It's not that hard to be on time.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:42 AM   #3
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

tell your brother to not be late to class. that will solve everything.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
It's not that hard to be on time.

But its impossible to be 100% or even 99% for an entire year. The total amount of days missed because of suspensions by the top 25% of the class alone is cause for outrage.

Its no secret that with budget cuts and whatnot that cutting down on advanced placement programs and stuffing as many kids into "leadership class" (aka, waste three class periods every off day) because they don't have enough classes to fit everyone or teachers to babysit highschool kids. What a great way to almost guarantee yourself anywhere from 5-15% of the kids missing of all the blocks available in a week.

These ignorant jackasses need to get their sh*t handed to them. Im not going to be the one to do it, but if I can piss off enough people it just might make me happier.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
tell your brother to not be late to class. that will solve everything.

I would agree if he was a problem child. He's not. Admittedly, I was a bit of a f*cktard in high school, but this kid isn't. He is beyond brilliant, beyond hardworking, and they have already put him "on notice" because his FIRST GODDAMN DAY AS A FRESHMAN he was late to two classes because HE COULDNT FIND HIS GODDAMN CLASSES.

There is a f*cking problem with that.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 AM   #6
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
But its impossible to be 100% or even 99% for an entire year.

No it's not. Also, if you don't make it a habit (i.e. not being late on the first day of school), teachers will usually let it slide.

Edit: Yeah, kinda messed up since he couldn't find his class actually. Sounds like a problem with the teachers, not the new rule.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo
No it's not. Also, if you don't make it a habit (i.e. not being late on the first day of school), teachers will usually let it slide.

Edit: Yeah, kinda messed up since he couldn't find his class actually.

I get that. The policy wont get followed a hundred percent because teachers just cant possibly be that heartless (though one of them will prove me wrong), but a system where they keep kids who want to learn out of school is BS.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #8
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I would agree if he was a problem child. He's not. Admittedly, I was a bit of a f*cktard in high school, but this kid isn't. He is beyond brilliant, beyond hardworking, and they have already put him "on notice" because his FIRST GODDAMN DAY AS A FRESHMAN he was late to two classes because HE COULDNT FIND HIS GODDAMN CLASSES.

There is a f*cking problem with that.

Ya, that goes over the line in my opinion. Teachers usually gave a 2-3 day grace period before counting tardies.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 AM   #9
Scott Baker
Acquaintance Rape!

Scott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
But its impossible to be 100% or even 99% for an entire year. The total amount of days missed because of suspensions by the top 25% of the class alone is cause for outrage.

It's really not hard to be on time.

My school had 5 lates = 1 day suspension. Every quarter the count would reset, so you could be late 16 times and never miss school... Also, if you are late all you need is a written note from your mom/doctor/family saying what's up, or a call, and you're all set.

I feel like you're overreacting.

Hell, I would call my school pretending to be my dad, and say I wasn't coming in that day.
Scott Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 AM   #10
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Ya, that goes over the line in my opinion. Teachers usually gave a 2-3 day grace period before counting tardies.

at the very very least I was expecting this... if they don't fix it after I complain and wipe the slate clean, im really going to lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I feel like you're overreacting.

No shit Sherlock, squeaky wheel gets the grease and im gearing up to get this straightened out.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
Scott Baker
Acquaintance Rape!

Scott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
No shit Sherlock, squeaky wheel gets the grease and im gearing up to get this straightened out.

But why is it such an issue for you?
Scott Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That is a bit strange, schools usually have grace periods for the first week, especially for first time students. If you are going to complain, you should press this point home. And that this should reset every year as well, can you imagine trying not to be late 4 times in 4 years? That's going to be impossible.

But don't act immature about it, it just makes your argument less valid, no matter how good it actually is.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:15 AM   #13
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Baker
But why is it such an issue for you?

I would understand if it was me. If it was me, I wouldn't care and just let it roll off my back and take it as a day off and pretend like it didn't bother me cause it wouldn't.

But this is my little bro. He shouldn't have to be a victim of a school system so broke that they cant provide adequate teaching and that weeds out the kids who "don't care about class" and get them out of their way for a day.

He deserves better. He WANTS better then I did. I made the best of an ugly situation because I didn't care, but he does and so I care. He's gonna have to learn to fight his own battles, but when some arrogant asshole administration team who's trying to act BA cause its their first year on the job start making sweeping changes to make visible (though harmful) movement to then try to pass it off as improvement, we have a problem. If someone comes along and makes my brother feel bad for something like this on his first day when patience is required from a position it is to be expected from, they deserve to hear how piss poor of a job they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantolli
That is a bit strange, schools usually have grace periods for the first week, especially for first time students. If you are going to complain, you should press this point home. And that this should reset every year as well, can you imagine trying not to be late 4 times in 4 years? That's going to be impossible.

Resets every year... so I guess its 16 total over 4 years? Still asinine.

Last edited by Fallguy20 : 08-19-2010 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:09 AM   #14
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. Or enroll somewhere else.

Anyways, 1 day suspension isn't that big a deal. It's too lenient.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #15
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Its no secret that with budget cuts and whatnot that cutting down on advanced placement programs and stuffing as many kids into "leadership class" (aka, waste three class periods every off day) because they don't have enough classes to fit everyone or teachers to babysit highschool kids. What a great way to almost guarantee yourself anywhere from 5-15% of the kids missing of all the blocks available in a week.

These ignorant jackasses need to get their sh*t handed to them. Im not going to be the one to do it, but if I can piss off enough people it just might make me happier.

That's not true. I go to one of the largest highschools in the country and I've been late once this whole year, at most. If the rest of the kids in his classes can make it on time, he can too.

Last edited by Venom : 08-19-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: