Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

Candianballer's ignorant thread got me thinking. How many of you know someone who lost their life at the WTC?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

I personally don't know anyone, it happened when I was a freshman in high school and to be honest I didn't even know what the twin towers were at that point in my life.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation
Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

nobody i know, or even friend of a friends grand uncles second cousin's kid type of connections.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

I was on the subway going over a bridge as one of the towers was on fire and was the first person in my subway car to announce (yell) it to everyone else. And then we got stuck in a tunnel for a while where it's hard to get radio reception but after holding my cd player/radio up at odd angles I managed to hear the news explain what actually happened and was the person to tell everyone else in the car.

And then later after getting out of the subway and being on the sidewalk in lower Manhattan I saw both of the towers fall with my own eyes.

Wow, it's been a decade, yet just typing this stuff still gives me chills on my arms

As for who I knew who died in the WTC, no close friends, but I did know a few people

Jeff
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah I still recall where I was when I heard.

It took me about 3 hours to realize that one of my really good friends I grew up with from gradeschool on was dead. He had just graduated from Princeton, bought himself a beamer (always a goal of his) and started working for a trading firm based in the tower. He was on the 96th floor of the north tower. Still cant type this today without getting teary eyed.

I went a bought a pack of pallmall unfiltereds (I hadnt smoked in 3-4 years and havent again since) and a liter of wild turkey and tried to drown my sorrows. His funeral was one of the hardest things I have ever done.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

leopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this boardleopoldstotch is popular on this board

next month marks 9 years.

coincidentally, i watched the movie 'reign over me' last night. it's about a story how one man has to collect his life together after losing his wife and 3 daughters in one of the plane crashes. good movie.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
next month marks 9 years.

coincidentally, i watched the movie 'reign over me' last night. it's about a story how one man has to collect his life together after losing his wife and 3 daughters in one of the plane crashes. good movie.
yeah, when somebody tells me adam sandler is a shtty actor, i direct them towards this movie. btw is this a tru story?
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

That day is liked fixed in my memory so clearly.
I was at a middle school in around 76th street. I was pretty damn oblivious back then and the teachers had a lockdown on the information so no one told us what happned. It was this girl's birthday who I liked. So i spent the whole morning trying to figure out how to wish her a happy birthday. Then her parents picked her up before I did it lol. After that I chilled with a friend and we played around with this condom that he found. Then words started to spread around lunch time that some sh!t went down. Kids were all joking that we were bout to go to war with cuba. Parents picked more kids up and I didn't really know anyone so nobody actually told me what happened. Around 2PM I went home turned on to Cartoon Network and damn realized what happened.

It was a tuesday I think. and I was so stupid I was more preoccupied with not having school on wednesday and listening to cds.

sometimes when I look back to when I was younger I'm almost annoyed by how juvenile my mind was then.

Last edited by heyhey : 08-19-2010 at 12:33 PM.
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

Ya, it was crazy. I didn't know the towers existed until it actually happened.

I didn't know anybody that died.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Joshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation hereJoshumitsu has an incredible reputation here

Damn, I was just in sixth grade and the kids were all talking about it. Then, I returned home after school and saw those clips. It still shocks me to this day.

But I've heard stories of people who tell me they survived because they were late or because they were sick that day.

Also, someone from NY told me the image of everyone banding up together after the attack is just a facade. What really occurred was chaos for weeks and months.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Ya, it was crazy. I didn't know the towers existed until it actually happened.

I didn't know anybody that died.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 PM   #12
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

nah but the community college had like a wall dedicated to people from south jersey. it was outside my girls late night class so i spent a lot of time reading all the articles (about the people from s jersey) and sht. sad.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I was in midtown on the way to work on the subway when the first plane hit and i was walking home (i finally found a subway downtown) then the buildings went down. (That's why i always wonder why people have such trouble wondering why the buildings went down, i was walking downtown already when the second plane hit and you could hear it from where you were, it was a terrible violent thing.

anyway, my cousin lost his fiance, one of my friends from college was working there, and two friends from school died, one because he was interviewing at Cantor. We also lost a few friends who were firefighters. This was also the time i consulted a lot, so i would work occasionally at some of the firms in the towers, so i am 100% sure people i worked with died. I never have checked, i didn't want to know. Very sad.

However, both my brother in law and one of my best friends in the world both were not there at the time because both were late to work that day. My brother in law was late because his daughter decided Daddy HAD to take her to work that day, and threw a tantrum about it, and my friend, she just didn't feel like waking up. The world is funny sometimes.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

BTW, even though it was horrible to be in the city that day (it was bizarre) i am glad i was in the city, because I think a lot of people don't have that perspective, and they use the WTC incident because they think conspiracy theories are fun, and it's a big event they can use to be contrary about. It gave me a good perspective that events where people die are never ever something to be taken casually. Lives are ruined.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #15
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
Damn, I was just in sixth grade and the kids were all talking about it. Then, I returned home after school and saw those clips. It still shocks me to this day.

But I've heard stories of people who tell me they survived because they were late or because they were sick that day.

Also, someone from NY told me the image of everyone banding up together after the attack is just a facade. What really occurred was chaos for weeks and months.

No, it was always very calm - it was calm and orderly at the time it was happening. It was bizarelly calm. Everyone shut down. That's just patently false.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: