Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

BTW, does anyone else remember the millitary plane fly bys downtown after the towers went down? That was the most scared i think i ever felt out in the street. I was wondering if we were literally being attacked (like bombs were going to start falling). There was very little news that was useful walking in the street, at first people were saying 20 planes were missing, there were other attacks, millitary was about to attack someone imminently, etc.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

i was in 8th grade sitting in history when we were notified they let us out of school early. and no i did not know anyone who died in the attack.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I didn't know anyone personally that died, but I knew 3 people who were in the buildings and got out safely. On top of that, there was someone in my old company that was on the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania. I was in Manhattan on the day it happened. One of the most surreal days of my life.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #19
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster

i did not... but i remember that day for sure. i'm from lithuania, and at that time i was 12, it was sunny and we were walking to play ball and friend tells me about attack on u.s. that he saw on news... i saw the clips only later, in the evening. we were talking could it be russia because it also declared special states. it was pretty shocking. i can't imagine being there in manhattan as some of you actually were.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
sunsfan1357
Word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
That's not too far fetched. I believe Hawker is a couple years younger than me so when this happened he was probably in 7th or 8th grade. Not many children outside of NY knew what the Twin Towers were or that they existed. As I mentioned in my post, I was a freshman in high school and didn't know what the Twin Towers were.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #21
SCY
Put yr guns up

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
After that I chilled with a friend and we played around with this condom that he found..

SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #22
Snoop_Cat
Banned

I didn't, but a friend I know did... causing him to develop an irrational but understandable (oxymoronic, I know) hatred of Muslims. Obviously, as a neutral person in the matter I don't have anything against their people as a whole but my friend absolutely HATES anyone and anything associated with Islam... blatantly antagonizing against them. The recent mosque controversy in NYC has him furious and he nearly lost it against a crowd of mosque supporters downtown the other week.
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #23
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
I didn't, but a friend I know did... causing him to develop an irrational but understandable (oxymoronic, I know) hatred of Muslims. Obviously, as a neutral person in the matter I don't have anything against their people as a whole but my friend absolutely HATES anyone and anything associated with Islam... blatantly antagonizing against them. The recent mosque controversy in NYC has him furious and he nearly lost it against a crowd of mosque supporters downtown the other week.
your friend needs some counseling. To misdirect his anger over this to an entire religion is silly.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #24
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
your friend needs some counseling. To misdirect his anger over this to an entire religion is silly.

It is overwhelming, I agree. However, I think as an outsider/not affected directly, its easy to say things such as "He's overreacting" or "That's totally unjustifiable". But when the villains in this case are of a specific category that's already not exactly favorably seen in the US and killed 3 of his friends/family, that kind of reaction is almost understandable. I'm not justifying his mind set because I agree it is wrong, but I have tried to conceptualize it from his perspective and I think it would too create a large degree of hatred in almost anyone.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound

The use of that word in this context made me cringe. lol
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #26
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
It is overwhelming, I agree. However, I think as an outsider/not affected directly, its easy to say things such as "He's overreacting" or "That's totally unjustifiable". But when the villains in this case are of a specific category that's already not exactly favorably seen in the US and killed 3 of his friends/family, that kind of reaction is almost understandable. I'm not justifying his mind set because I agree it is wrong, but I have tried to conceptualize it from his perspective and I think it would too create a large degree of hatred in almost anyone.
well, I was affected directly. I didnt lose a family member, but a very dear friend who I had grown up with since I was 7 and he was 6. And yes, I had a lot of anger (still do), but I can also recognize that it wasnt "muslims" that did this, but a specific organization of terrorists (who are doing it for political, not religious reasons) who hide behind a world religion.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
The use of that word in this context made me cringe. lol
misguided? ignorant? what would you prefer? I used silly since its a very childish way to approach the situation.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #28
bada bing
College star

Quote:

your friend needs serious help. such anger is nothing short of what the nazi's felt towards the jews or what the black man had to face at the wrath of the white man. Why are you okay with your friend feeling this way?

i say this because this is what is happening in America now. People are getting in trouble for using the N word or saying something against jews or other minorities but when it comes to muslims it is okay to say whatever racist/hate comments against them. Thats not cool and really needs to be controlled.

as a side, remember that many muslims died on 9/11 and many many more have died as a consequence of those attacks in afghanistan, pakistan and Iraq. and dont forget all the people that died in terrorist attacks in countries like yemen, pakistan, india, indonesian, malaysia and across europe because of those terrorists.....so its not fair that someone would hate muslims so much when in fact they are the ones that suffered the most by those people......
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #29
Snoop_Cat
Banned

boozehound - I'm sorry for your loss. I personally was not directly impacted in this situation, so I'm not going to pretend like I know what it must feel like.

@booze and badabing -

I don't agree with his mentality nor am I trying to justify it any way. I acknowledged that that mindset is straight up WRONG. Thankfully, his emotions have quelled down a bit and his attitude is more of a racist attitude, that being still ignorant and completely irrational is a step above what he used to be, and only really takes tangible action when there is a "in-the-face" reminder such as pro-mosque rallies, which is still an irrational action, I know but its about progress in my opinion.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
bada bing
College star

Quote:
boozehound - I'm sorry for your loss. I personally was not directly impacted in this situation, so I'm not going to pretend like I know what it must feel like.

@booze and badabing -

I don't agree with his mentality nor am I trying to justify it any way. I acknowledged that that mindset is straight up WRONG. Thankfully, his emotions have quelled down a bit and his attitude is more of a racist attitude, that being still ignorant and completely irrational is a step above what he used to be, and only really takes tangible action when there is a "in-the-face" reminder such as pro-mosque rallies, which is still an irrational action, I know but its about progress in my opinion.

i know what you mean. I said all that because of what is normal these days. The racist attitude that is being allowed by everyone is just preposterous ( for some reason i wanted to use this word today). Just look at the comments being made by people on tv and during the hall meetings against islam and its followers. This needs to be controlled right away before its too late. This is how hate and marginalization of people starts. The right in this country is getting out of hand....
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: