Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #61
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

No lie.

9/11 was my first day at work in the AF [at my actual job].

Needless to say my enlistment was action packed.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #62
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Default Re: How many people on ISH lost a friend/family member at the WTC on 9/11?

I had this great little apartment on Duffield St in Brooklyn right at the bottom of the Manhattan Bridge basically on the corner of Flatbush and Tillary. NYC is noisy as f*ck all the time but this morning was absurd, I couldn't believe how many sirens I was hearing. My brother called and finally got me out of bed and I realized that I was hearing all those sirens for a reason. I remember going back and forth between the TV and my fire escape to try to understand what the f*ck was happening. I had a good view from my fire escape but smoke was dominating the scene. I went down to the street and it was surreal at best. They'd shut down traffic on the manhattan bridge and it was packed side to side end to end with people walking across from manhattan. Some of them were covered in soot, some of them were running, crying-- all of them had shock or horror on their faces- it was intense.

I had a friend who worked down there who came out of his office to the street and he and another guy he'd never met before had a moment of "what the f*ck is happening?" and then just took off running- they ran something ridiculous like 50 blocks (neither were runners) before they stopped, hugged, parted ways and never saw each other again.

I remember the smoke turning the sunset extra red that night, very eerie- the smoke carried on for days. The shit that really stuck with me was the people's reactions- the native new yorkers who'd lived there their whole lives and didn't know what to do with it- the overly sensational/dramatic people who wanted to make it all about them- the sadness- the complete lack of social segregation for the days surrounding it. It was abnormally quiet and still for many days after. There was a no fly period and there would occasionally be military planes flying over head and you would see whole blocks of new yorkers look up to see the plane- something you'd otherwise take for granted. The fire stations were active memorials for months after, flowers, pictures, candles outside every single one. The area around "ground zero" was something out of a movie for ages, it looked like we were being kept from an alien landing- city blocks were guarded and blocked off around a perimeter and you could see the lights from the workers from a great distance. Suddenly there were men with automatic weapons in the subway stations.

In many ways it's the most dramatic day of our lifetimes (we= young americans) - we live in a pretty sheltered and "dull" era as far as major events- I know it's something that will stick with me forever and I'm "glad" (historically) to have been there to see so much of it first hand.
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #63
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
I had this great little apartment on Duffield St in Brooklyn right at the bottom of the Manhattan Bridge basically on the corner of Flatbush and Tillary. NYC is noisy as f*ck all the time but this morning was absurd, I couldn't believe how many sirens I was hearing. My brother called and finally got me out of bed and I realized that I was hearing all those sirens for a reason. I remember going back and forth between the TV and my fire escape to try to understand what the f*ck was happening. I had a good view from my fire escape but smoke was dominating the scene. I went down to the street and it was surreal at best. They'd shut down traffic on the manhattan bridge and it was packed side to side end to end with people walking across from manhattan. Some of them were covered in soot, some of them were running, crying-- all of them had shock or horror on their faces- it was intense.

I had a friend who worked down there who came out of his office to the street and he and another guy he'd never met before had a moment of "what the f*ck is happening?" and then just took off running- they ran something ridiculous like 50 blocks (neither were runners) before they stopped, hugged, parted ways and never saw each other again.

I remember the smoke turning the sunset extra red that night, very eerie- the smoke carried on for days. The shit that really stuck with me was the people's reactions- the native new yorkers who'd lived there their whole lives and didn't know what to do with it- the overly sensational/dramatic people who wanted to make it all about them- the sadness- the complete lack of social segregation for the days surrounding it. It was abnormally quiet and still for many days after. There was a no fly period and there would occasionally be military planes flying over head and you would see whole blocks of new yorkers look up to see the plane- something you'd otherwise take for granted. The fire stations were active memorials for months after, flowers, pictures, candles outside every single one. The area around "ground zero" was something out of a movie for ages, it looked like we were being kept from an alien landing- city blocks were guarded and blocked off around a perimeter and you could see the lights from the workers from a great distance. Suddenly there were men with automatic weapons in the subway stations.

In many ways it's the most dramatic day of our lifetimes (we= young americans) - we live in a pretty sheltered and "dull" era as far as major events- I know it's something that will stick with me forever and I'm "glad" (historically) to have been there to see so much of it first hand.
well, to lighten the mood a bit, heres the neg rep I got for starting this thread.

Quote:
You look like an uglier version of Lamar Doom.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #64
Lamar Doom
Fresh Kid Turned Rotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
well, to lighten the mood a bit, heres the neg rep I got for starting this thread.

thanks for the compliment canadian baller

might change my custom title to something like "a more handsome boozehound"
Lamar Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #65
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Doom
thanks for the compliment canadian baller

might change my custom title to something like "a more handsome boozehound"
nice, I like it. Hold on.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: