Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Default What if boxing matches were always 12 rounds instead of 15?

Imagine the outcome of the some of the all-time great battles that went the distance and well as the bouts where the last 3 round had a large impact on the result.

Ali probably would have beaten Frazier by majority decision

Hitman definitely would have held off Sugar Ray and gotten then decision

Joe Louis vs Billy Conn. Conn prevails, UNLESS he stupidly tries to go for the knockout as he did in the 13th which in turn got him KO'd in the same round.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: What if boxing matches were always 12 rounds instead of 15?

Marciano's signature win, the 13th round KO of Jersey Joe Walcott, would have been an easy UD victory for Joe.

Sugar Ray Robinson would have added the light heavyweight title to his resume. He was on his way to doing so, easily beating Joey Maxim, but 104 degree heat gave him heat exhaustion and he couldn't continue after the 13th round. He was WAY ahead on the cards at the time... Maxim needed a KO.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

.........Ray retired (the 1st time) after that fight to go tapdancing and run a nightclub (The movie Harlem Nights was loosely based on it). After 3 years of being out the ring, he came back and was damn near back to original form.

Next to Jordan, the greatest athlete to come back from retirement. These fighters of today can't hold a candle to SRR. Floyd may brag about being better than a lot of all-time great and even name names, but notice he NEVER mentions SRR, cause he knows what's up.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
jaydacris
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
.........Ray retired (the 1st time) after that fight to go tapdancing and run a nightclub (The movie Harlem Nights was loosely based on it). After 3 years of being out the ring, he came back and was damn near back to original form.

Next to Jordan, the greatest athlete to come back from retirement. These fighters of today can't hold a candle to SRR. Floyd may brag about being better than a lot of all-time great and even name names, but notice he NEVER mentions SRR, cause he knows what's up.

actually, he did say he was better than srr.

Quote:
Yep, Im better than Muhammad Ali! Sugar Ray Robinson? Yep, Im better than Sugar Ray Robinson! I would never say its another fighter better than me. Absolutely none, boasted the confident and brash Floyd Mayweather Jr. on the latest episode of 24/7 Mayweather/Mosley. Say what? Better than Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson? Its true that all fighters should be confident and feel as though no one can beat them, however, those feelings are generally reserved for fighters that are still actively fighting.

I truly believe Im the best. I know Im the best. I gotta be a damn fool to give this sport 33 years of my life to say theres another fight better than me, he would try to explain. One would think that every fighter would show respect for the all-time greats, but not Floyd Mayweather. Evidently, his talents transcend the abilities of those that paved the way before him. The irony is that Floyd strives to be considered the best pound for pound fighter in the world, a term that was created for Sugar Ray Robinson, the very man that Mayweather claims to better than.
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:
Floyd may brag about being better than a lot of all-time great and even name names, but notice he NEVER mentions SRR, cause he knows what's up.

Floyd mentions SRR here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL4WgXQh3hM
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:

SRR is No. 1 and no one is even close. I often shuffle around my top five p4p in positions 2-5.

Henry Armstrong, Harry Greb, Roberto Duran, and Willie Pep can all make a case for any of those positions, but the guy at the top NEVER changes. His resume and accomplishments are beyond compare. At his absolute peak, his record was 128-1-2 and that was against the most elite competition in five different weight classes (back when there were way less classes).

He was a natural lightweight and he won the middleweight title.... FIVE TIMES.

Unreal.

As for Floyd, I'm not sure what people would have him say when he is asked... "Nah... Robinson was way better than me."

That kind of honesty isn't in any fighter's DNA. Countless fighters in the past have claimed to be the greatest that has ever lived. Boxers NEED to have that kind of bravado to step into the ring and do what they do.

There is only one correct answer, though... And it isn't close and likely never will be.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 08-19-2010 at 05:15 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
lefthook00
College star

SRR to boxing would be like combining Wilt and MJ. That's how much in the lead he is.

Things would be a bit different if championship matches were 12 rounds instead of 15 back then. I'm not exactly sure how things would play out. It would be like asking what it would be like if MMA championship matches were 3-4 rounds instead of 5.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: