Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Was the NBA forum always this bland and nitpicky?

I just created two imaginative topics in the NBA forum. So far the responses were nitpicking the scenario.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but back in the "Golden Era" of the NBA forum threads like that were just answered and not really nitpicked. It sparked good conversation. Yeah, soem nitpickers but on the whole we were all really good.
Wasn't that the case or was I just dreaming? Today's posters lack imagination.

Follow along with those threads and see what I'm saying. If you can don't mention this thread in the ones I've created in the NBA forum. As much as I can I'll try to keep thoses threads going to entertain you guys.

Threads: Kobe and Wade staying with one team
- First to be traded in the big three
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Was the NBA forum always this bland and nitpicky?

BTW, this thread was not intended to call anybody out or create a negative image of the NBA and posters, it just seems different.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You can't joke about ANYTHING in the NBA forum anymore. Everyone's so anxious to show that they have more NBA knowledge than anyone else that it's all serious business all the time.

I made this post a few weeks back in a thread about some forgotten NBA stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Steve Francis. For those who never got to see him play, think Dwyane Wade's explosiveness mixed with Allen Iverson's dribbling and Chris Paul's playmaking skills. He had the jump shot of Ray Allen with the basketball IQ of Derek Fisher. He was basically the most efficient PG of the new millenium until those damn injuries took him down. And for those of you who WERE lucky enough to see him play...shhhhh mind your own business.

Obviously being ironic/sarcastic/joking...I got neg repped 4 times for it with people saying "wow you obviously know nothing about basketball" and "Chris Paul >>>> Steve Francis."

I made another thread about Space Jam, obviously a joke yet again, that turned into a 3 page thread of guys having a serious debate

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=184907
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:
You can't joke about ANYTHING in the NBA forum anymore. Everyone's so anxious to show that they have more NBA knowledge than anyone else that it's all serious business all the time.

I made this post a few weeks back in a thread about some forgotten NBA stars

Obviously being ironic/sarcastic/joking...I got neg repped 4 times for it with people saying "wow you obviously know nothing about basketball" and "Chris Paul >>>> Steve Francis."

I made another thread about Space Jam, obviously a joke yet again, that turned into a 3 page thread of guys having a serious debate

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=184907

Lol, I remember that post.
Yeah, it does seem like everyone is an analyst first, fan second. They work harder on picking the details instead of creating an imaginative debate or sense of humor.

If there is an option A or B, everyone always goes option C
Old 08-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Lol, I remember that post.
Yeah, it does seem like everyone is an analyst first, fan second. They work harder on picking the details instead of creating an imaginative debate or sense of humor.

If there is an option A or B, everyone always goes option C

And the sad thing is I think this is how real life conversation is gonna end up in the next few decades. Problem with the internet is everyone has unlimited info at their fingertips all the time, so it makes everyone think they're an expert on everything. Half of the people in the NBA forum are like 15 and never even watched 90s basketball, but they'll argue to the death with someone about it because they can look up Kevin Johnson's PER and *POOF* gain the ability to evaluate the guy and compare him to modern players.

With all the Smart phones and stuff now people are gonna be having discussions at bars, at school, etc and anytime someone brings up a point they don't agree with they'll just whip out their phone, google it and say "end thread" (yes they'll actually say it).

Prime example of technology killing the fun of something....when Dwight did his Superman dunk. The nerds come out saying "he should have been disqualified that wasn't a dunk at all. He just threw the ball down". Then someone argues that point and all of a sudden they're on dictionary.com and basketball reference sites pointing out that the definition of the move states that as long as the shot is hurled in a downward motion from a position above the hoop, it's considered a dunk. People can't just enjoy conversation/entertainment anymore because they need the ego boost of thinking they know more than anyone else
Old 08-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Everyone is an expert on everything, even the teams they don't watch, because they can look up stats. I remember people talking about how maybe Marbury could start on the Celtics and i said, no way - i've watched him for 2 years and his knees are shot, he got old, he's not that good, and people didn't say i was wrong because they saw differently, i was wrong because his PER was good in some months, or they found specific good stats games, etc. What my eyes say (bcause im a knick fan) is not true, they had to fight it based on specifically carefully chosen stats. it's terrible. whats the point?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The NBA Forum sucks.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #8
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Guys like Joyner are the epitome of what's wrong with all these new stat obsessed fans. He STRICTLY uses stats when debating, doesn't make any kind of observation that requires you to watch the games.

"Durant is a better passer than Melo, just look at their adjusted +/- and WSp48/Roland Rating!" ....What?
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #9
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
Guys like Joyner are the epitome of what's wrong with all these new stat obsessed fans. He STRICTLY uses stats when debating, doesn't make any kind of observation that requires you to watch the games.

"Durant is a better passer than Melo, just look at their adjusted +/- and WSp48/Roland Rating!" ....What?

He also think that 21 yrs.old Durant was better than 21 yrs.old Jordan and LeBron.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Welcome to the fallout.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #11
B-Low
The Love B-Low

The worst it EVER got for me was in the thread "Incredible Hang-Time"

A debate started up about whether Jordan actually had greater hang-time than any other player. Here's some of my favorite posts

First, a simple OP by Pete

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nb7q...os=CcT2vvR6Qsw

I wish they showed the full dunk from the side angle

anyone else have an alternate link?

this is incredible

Then it just erupted into all this

Quote:
Technically it is possible to differentiate hang time from just jumping high, think about it, say Jordan gets some speed and jumps straight up as high as he can, he would have jumped his highest and gotten a lot of hangtime now say Jordan gets some speed and instead of jumping straight up jumps diagonally, the height of the jump is less but he hangs in the air the same amount and instead uses the force for flying longer distances as opposed to just jumping straight up. You ever thought about that?

Also what people refer to hangtime is often just the ability to double clutch and do stuff in the downward part of the flight which isn't really hangtime but rather a skill of coordination.
Quote:
pretty much this. To be numerical,

1/2 g x t^2 = y

where

initial velocity (the velocity you leap off the ground with) = v
acceleration of gravity = g = 9.8 m/s^2
hang time = t
vertical = y

First day of class of high school physics

Quote:
Re-read my post. I don't think you get it. I explained it as simple as possible.

If you still don't get it, do an experiment with this simulation:
http://galileoandeinstein.physics.vi...jarapplet.html

try 2 different scenarios:

1) The straight up and down jump:

Velocity=5m/s, Angle=90 degrees, Mass=70kg

2) The long jump:

Velocity=10m/s, Angle=30degrees, Mass=70kg

You should find hang time is 1.02s in both cases. Play around with the numbers, and you will find hang time depends only vertical distance.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it was a much more relaxed place in the early 1800's.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
Scott Baker
Acquaintance Rape!

Scott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation hereScott Baker has an incredible reputation here

Weak era for posting.
Scott Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The worst it EVER got for me was in the thread "Incredible Hang-Time"

A debate started up about whether Jordan actually had greater hang-time than any other player. Here's some of my favorite posts

First, a simple OP by Pete

Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #15
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
That's not anything too bad. Basic high school formula everyone learned and it was relevant to the discussion (some idiot thought how long you jumped affected flight time, when that's simply not true).
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: