Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Round Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation here
Default John Stockton(17 assists) and Karl Malone(39 points) in Boston Garden 1989

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuz350SWwl4

box score here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...912200BOS.html
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: John Stockton(17 assists) and Karl Malone(39 points) in Boston Garden 1989

I don't think people realize how good Stockton was anymore. People saying Payton was better

This also makes me sad that they didn't have the right team around them from 88-93 instead of 96-98 when Stockton was past his prime, and Malone wasn't near the athlete.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Round Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: John Stockton(17 assists) and Karl Malone(39 points) in Boston Garden 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I don't think people realize how good Stockton was anymore. People saying Payton was better

This also makes me sad that they didn't have the right team around them from 88-93 instead of 96-98 when Stockton was past his prime, and Malone wasn't near the athlete.

True. Stockton was as good defender as Payton in his Prime. He always was better offensively, always took the IDEAL DESICIONS. No one made the Jazz better than Stockton
Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #4
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

WADE MONEY has an OK reputation so far

stockton with the jordanesque up and under at 1:15
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
jalbert009
High School JV MVP

jalbert009 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1

Stockton will always be my fave point guard ever. I really wish him and Malone won at least one ring during their careers together.
jalbert009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
joyner82
Banned

joyner82 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayjoyner82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

It's a shame Malone won an MVP and has gone down as the greater player of the 2 as Stockton clearly made Malone into what he was. He had a very good face up game and was athletic early on, but Stockton took him to the next level.
joyner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
jalbert009
High School JV MVP

jalbert009 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner82
It's a shame Malone won an MVP and has gone down as the greater player of the 2 as Stockton clearly made Malone into what he was. He had a very good face up game and was athletic early on, but Stockton took him to the next level.

I completely agree with you dude. Good point guards improve players around them. I want to see how Al Jefferson will improve this year with D-Will next to him.
jalbert009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert009
I completely agree with you dude. Good point guards improve players around them. I want to see how Al Jefferson will improve this year with D-Will next to him.
Al Jefferson mainly does his own work. A PG like Deron won't help much, because Al isn't the kind of guy who might benefit from transition play, like a young athletic Malone. Al is mainly a guy who creates his own shots with his talent on the block, and not from getting set up from Deron. Jefferson will benefit most from having outside shooting threats like Okur, Deron, etc to take some of the double team pressure off him.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
AirJordan23
Local High School Star

AirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat coolAirJordan23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
Stockton was as good defender as Payton in his Prime.
AirJordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
olddangerfield
Banned

olddangerfield has decent reputation

It's seriously a travesty that Stockton and Malone both don't have rings.
olddangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordan23

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...stockjo01.html

Defensive Rating

1986-87 NBA 101.9 (6)
1987-88 NBA 102.2 (8)
1988-89 NBA 101.1 (6)
Old 08-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
magnax1
Not a mormon

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyner82
True, at least for Malone's 88-93 years when he didn't have a very good post up game, and wasn't much of a passer. They also contributed to each others longevity because they were able to play off of each other so well and didn't have to work quite as hard because of it.
And I wouldn't say Stockton was as good of a defender as Payton, however, he was probably the best help defending PG ever in his prime. He tore apart defenses in a similar way to Pippen, in that he shut down passing lanes and really damaged offenses continuity. He wasn't as good at it as Pippen, but he had a similar defensive skill set.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: