Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Some of my post moves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CQhETfh08Q

Sorry all i have are a few moves from the left block... I stopped the video and forgot to hit record again when I went to the right block... but the sun was totally in my eyes from over there and I had a hard time making shots anyway. I mentioned a few of these moves in the other thread and said I would post a vid... so I wanted to make sure I stuck to my word (i am a day late with it tho). But yea... these a few of the moves I utilize while playing in games. I have recently developed that sweeping hook in place of a more generic hook... It's a lot quicker, takes less energy, and won't get blocked... and it's at least as accurate going in if not moreso.

Also, I generally don't have the same dribble patterns while in the post... I mean if I always took 2 dribbles before my move, my defender would pick up on that pretty quick... but today I didn't think about it too much and not having a defender you can fall into weird habits. Many times I will not even take a dribble tho... It's completely random for me what I do in terms of dribbling in the post... but I really like to use an array of moves and dribble patterns to keep defenders guessing. I really did do a crap load of more moves on the other side and then I came back to that side... so it definitely sucks I forgot to film. Oh well, next time
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Some of my post moves

Stopped the video before watching the first minute. The form on your sweeping hook is nice and your spin is smooth. But once you spin you carry the ball very, very low. You show the ball to the defense, mainly the help defender who double teams you. He can swipe easily at the ball. Always keep the ball high (near the chest area) in that situation so you can protect it.

You do the same with the baseline fade-away.

I really like the Black Tornado (remembering Shaquille O'Neal Laker style ). That's the baseline spin for those of you who don't know Shaq quotes.

You have good post moves and are a decent finisher but it's really important to protect the ball and focus on that. The closer you come to the rim the more they'll reach in and steal the ball from you.
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

you have a really solid base, should be easy for you to post up dudes who are the same height. I don't know how to shoot hook shots, looks interesting might give that a try. oh when I do my up and under, I turn into the paint and finish w/ the hand furtherest from the rim. so if i turn into the paint from the right block, step through, I finish w/ the left hand and use my body to shield.

I usually like to back down and then fade away w/ a bank shot and power inside w/ a drop step and put it up strong.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Your hook shot is good , but my suggestion or you is to be quicker and Dont over-do your fadeaway lol , you were almost out balanced when you released the shot. But yeah if you wanna keep makin that form , just make sure you have the right foot on the right spot.
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by devin112
you have a really solid base, should be easy for you to post up dudes who are the same height. I don't know how to shoot hook shots, looks interesting might give that a try. oh when I do my up and under, I turn into the paint and finish w/ the hand furtherest from the rim. so if i turn into the paint from the right block, step through, I finish w/ the left hand and use my body to shield.

I usually like to back down and then fade away w/ a bank shot and power inside w/ a drop step and put it up strong.

I do the exact same thing, I never fake away from the pain then finish on that side. I'm an undersized point guard so when I find myself with the ball down low I always use that move, almost everyone goes for the fake.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Stopped the video before watching the first minute. The form on your sweeping hook is nice and your spin is smooth. But once you spin you carry the ball very, very low. You show the ball to the defense, mainly the help defender who double teams you. He can swipe easily at the ball. Always keep the ball high (near the chest area) in that situation so you can protect it.

You do the same with the baseline fade-away.

I really like the Black Tornado (remembering Shaquille O'Neal Laker style ). That's the baseline spin for those of you who don't know Shaq quotes.

You have good post moves and are a decent finisher but it's really important to protect the ball and focus on that. The closer you come to the rim the more they'll reach in and steal the ball from you.

I don't think I could keep the ball high on those... On the sweeping hook the whole sweeping motion starts low and then ends up high. I was watching some Pau Gasol highlights and when he does his fadeaways he doesn't keep the ball high... In fact he doesn't really keep the ball high on any of his moves, just when he gets it under the rim. Like I know what you mean tho cus Bynum almost always keeps the ball high and never gets stripped, then you have Dwight who never keeps it high and gets stripped quite a bit. However, I am such a good passer out of the post (that and shooting are the two things i can legitimately say I am good at ) that I know if a double game I could dish it off... I generally don't get doubled down there tho cus most of the time I don't get enough opportunities for that. I could try to keep the ball more in front of my body tho as opposed to the side... That's about the only thing I can think of. On my little step through move tho yea I have to be especially careful cus the ball is really exposed down there.

Yea the Black Tornado (Maybe the Red Tornado for me ) is a move that I love. If I feel the defender has a lot of his weight into me... it's tornado time lol. Hopefully have gotten away from him enough to score, but if not, then I can just dribble baseline and find someone.

Quote:

Yea if a guy is my height, then I am licking my chops cus I feel like that's a mismatch. If a guy is taller (like more than 2 inches) then I just have to be smarter with my moves. Its pretty easy for me to seal my man and get where I need to go tho... it's just finishing that can be tricky. That up and under is based off of experience. From my experience, if people lunge at me, they end up on my left side, so I just take that step towards the basket and finish. A traditional up and under yea you would come back middle and finish with 2 hands or off hand. that just isn't the way it works on that move tho... people are in position to stop that. I make adjustments based on where the defender is tho so if he has lunged toward my right side, then I would just step middle and finish with my hand farthest from the basket (like you were saying).

Quote:
Your hook shot is good , but my suggestion or you is to be quicker and Dont over-do your fadeaway lol , you were almost out balanced when you released the shot. But yeah if you wanna keep makin that form , just make sure you have the right foot on the right spot.

Yea I tend to be off balance when I shoot that shot off the dribble. If do it without a dribble... just a 180 degree pivot, my shot is much more on balance. I am so used to shooting off balance tho that it is actually natural for me... However, right now, my vertical is pretty awful, so I think it's worse than it normally is. when I had my vert up, I could jump higher and get more on balance. Or maybe not... I haven't filmed playing bball myself until after the injuries so maybe I am the same just slower and not jumping high
Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

Iike the up and under going into the middle beccause when help comes I have the option of front rim or side of the rim versus limited to side of rim for u.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #8
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

My favorite post player to watch is Hakeem. I was too you to ever see him live in his prime, but watching highlights of him is amazing, even if I am a point guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMrcBdXU9Nw

And one question... how come no one ever puts this guy a top 10 great of all time? He was finals mvp twice, won a regular season MVP, and just had a dominant game. Bot sure who I would take, him or shaq or even kareem if given the chance.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have a few points, but don't take to serious cause i barelly post anyone lol

- Your hook shoot is good, but you have to do that faster.
- Your "Jordan Fadeway" if you see it's almost short every time, cause you're making the shot when you're still turning.
- Got some pretty left hand, most of the people barelly try to do that in a game.
- The up and under is a good move, but not to do in a 5x5 game, cause the help defense will block you (you have the pass i know).
- Your jumper looks good, with good balance and nice "hand" work.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
Maga_1

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
My favorite post player to watch is Hakeem. I was too you to ever see him live in his prime, but watching highlights of him is amazing, even if I am a point guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMrcBdXU9Nw

And one question... how come no one ever puts this guy a top 10 great of all time? He was finals mvp twice, won a regular season MVP, and just had a dominant game. Bot sure who I would take, him or shaq or even kareem if given the chance.

Olajuwon was not a "media" player, he wasn't fancy and didn't try to be a star .. that's why a think he's underrated by all of us.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:

I have him in my 10

1. Jordan
2. Kobe
3. Shaq
4. Magic
5. Kareem
6. Bird
7. Duncan
8. Hakeem
9. Wilt
10. Russell (and it's only token from winning so many ships)

That season in like 88 or whatever it was when he averaged like 28, 15, and nearly 5 blocks was incredible... and the guy had the prettiest post game you'll ever see.

Quote:
- Your hook shoot is good, but you have to do that faster.
- Your "Jordan Fadeway" if you see it's almost short every time, cause you're making the shot when you're still turning.
- Got some pretty left hand, most of the people barely try to do that in a game.
- The up and under is a good move, but not to do in a 5x5 game, cause the help defense will block you (you have the pass i know).
- Your jumper looks good, with good balance and nice "hand" work.

Yea the hook I can definitely work on the speed (it's new to me so I'm going to be a little slow) but it's a very difficult shot to contest (even if it's slow) because the release point is so far from the defender... which is why I barely have to jump while doing it too.

Yea I don't get great elevation so I kind of have to shoot the fadeaway while still turning. It also really makes it hard on the defender to recover and contest... but yea when I miss it's short cus I I'm shooting while I'm still turning and didn't get enough on it.

My left still needs work. I airballed 1 right before that but the rest I made or they rimmed out (I shot like 6 or 7 of them). I have a solid left, but it's definitely not my go to move and not a move I would probably try in the clutch I can confidently do it in the middle of a game tho.

Yea if the help came on that up and under I would just dish it off. Luckily for me, I don't play with many 6'8+ guys so I don't really have to worry so much about help D. People come over, but I can float it over them without too much of an issue. But yea i mean playing with those really big guys, they can come from the other side of the key and send that into the stands lol.... but that's if I didn't pass to their guy that they left and got an easy dunk
Old 08-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I don't think I could keep the ball high on those... On the sweeping hook the whole sweeping motion starts low and then ends up high. I was watching some Pau Gasol highlights and when he does his fadeaways he doesn't keep the ball high... In fact he doesn't really keep the ball high on any of his moves, just when he gets it under the rim. Like I know what you mean tho cus Bynum almost always keeps the ball high and never gets stripped, then you have Dwight who never keeps it high and gets stripped quite a bit. However, I am such a good passer out of the post (that and shooting are the two things i can legitimately say I am good at ) that I know if a double game I could dish it off... I generally don't get doubled down there tho cus most of the time I don't get enough opportunities for that. I could try to keep the ball more in front of my body tho as opposed to the side... That's about the only thing I can think of. On my little step through move tho yea I have to be especially careful cus the ball is really exposed down there.

Yea the Black Tornado (Maybe the Red Tornado for me ) is a move that I love. If I feel the defender has a lot of his weight into me... it's tornado time lol. Hopefully have gotten away from him enough to score, but if not, then I can just dribble baseline and find someone.

I have seen a video tutorial of MJ explaining his fade-away. Also about carrying the ball high. Of course carrying the ball low will result in more momentum but good defenders will get the ball from you every time. Of course you don't need to do it, just some advice.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Yes, very nice moves. I now know about how to do fadeway and hook, and I realize why I'm getting so much contact from the defender(I just actually turn into them instead of taking the step).

Question:How long do you practice and how do you do it? I'm still devoloping a practice schedule.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

Even though I didn't practice it at all this summer the hookshot was still butter. My other finishes weren't tho. I couldn't really attack the rim because I wanted to be careful. Got some nice penetrations at times which is a good sign I guess.

For fun I tried to do the Dream Shake. Started on the left block, backed down twice, faked the spin towards the baseline, faked the left hook and wanted to step through but I ran right into the helpside, lol. Got the ball to my teammate in the end.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #15
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
Even though I didn't practice it at all this summer the hookshot was still butter. My other finishes weren't tho. I couldn't really attack the rim because I wanted to be careful. Got some nice penetrations at times which is a good sign I guess.

For fun I tried to do the Dream Shake. Started on the left block, backed down twice, faked the spin towards the baseline, faked the left hook and wanted to step through but I ran right into the helpside, lol. Got the ball to my teammate in the end.

That would be some awesome youtube video ahah
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: