Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Smile How to be a better teammate?

Dang, I realized I'm terrible at 5v5. I must take care of this problem before basketball starts. In every single game I played, there is either a ballhogger, a shooter, a fail point guard, and a bunch more. In this one pickup game I played today, there was a ballhogger/fail point guard. The fail point guard was advancing the ball, but he took too long. He was literally running in circles. Somehow, the ball kept on going to the ballhogger who made 2/30 shots(**** me). I made 0/3 because of forced 3's. Well, it was ok. We lost 8 to 11.

30 minutes after the game, the ballhogger was saying, "Dang no one was helping me" even though my teammates and I were all open to get passed too. I could see the truth in this, because he was just rushing in and his vision was limited to just seeing the basket. It was also partly his fault for not dishing it out to the rest of the team, and what else could we do if he's just trying to rush in for a layup against 4 people?

30 minutes after the game, the fail point guard was saying, "Dang I thought we were going to all work together" even though he's just running in circles. I could see the truth in this, because he was...wow I can't think of anything besides sometimes we weren't open lol, and oh yeah..He thought that we were going to help him or something even though he's hogging the ball. We can't do anything else besides setting screens since he won't pass it..

Well, we all talked together, and the fail point guard was telling about each of my teammates strengths. Then he whispered loudly,"What about him, he barely does anything?" Then my teammates told about how I was the best shooter/ball handler on the team. The fail point guard then said,"Wow, you should yell at us or something". I was going to quit the goal of joining the basketball team until I heard my teammates said that. So here I am. Please share some tips.

Wow, I didn't know my rant would be so huge. Well, if anyone wants to read my story, then go ahead.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How to be a better teammate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Dang, I realized I'm terrible at 5v5. I must take care of this problem before basketball starts. In every single game I played, there is either a ballhogger, a shooter, a fail point guard, and a bunch more. In this one pickup game I played today, there was a ballhogger/fail point guard. The fail point guard was advancing the ball, but he took too long. He was literally running in circles. Somehow, the ball kept on going to the ballhogger who made 2/30 shots(**** me). I made 0/3 because of forced 3's. Well, it was ok. We lost 8 to 11.

30 minutes after the game, the ballhogger was saying, "Dang no one was helping me" even though my teammates and I were all open to get passed too. I could see the truth in this, because he was just rushing in and his vision was limited to just seeing the basket. It was also partly his fault for not dishing it out to the rest of the team, and what else could we do if he's just trying to rush in for a layup against 4 people?

30 minutes after the game, the fail point guard was saying, "Dang I thought we were going to all work together" even though he's just running in circles. I could see the truth in this, because he was...wow I can't think of anything besides sometimes we weren't open lol, and oh yeah..He thought that we were going to help him or something even though he's hogging the ball. We can't do anything else besides setting screens since he won't pass it..

Well, we all talked together, and the fail point guard was telling about each of my teammates strengths. Then he whispered loudly,"What about him, he barely does anything?" Then my teammates told about how I was the best shooter/ball handler on the team. The fail point guard then said,"Wow, you should yell at us or something". I was going to quit the goal of joining the basketball team until I heard my teammates said that. So here I am. Please share some tips.

Wow, I didn't know my rant would be so huge. Well, if anyone wants to read my story, then go ahead.

As i understood, your teammates asked you to be "the lider". You know, you can play every position and be the lider ..
Sometimes people don't like when you yell at them, they don't like to see the anger on the court but if they're your friends i think you can say something like "**** you man, pass the ball or do some something good to the team, set some screens, work in the low post, stop shooting 3's" and they will listen you but you know that you have to show them that you have your weaknesses to and say "damn, sorry team .. my mistake" after a poor play.

I'm a PG, and most of the people say that my biggest strenght is that i know "how to clean the house" i talk to them trying to do the best for the team even if it's not the good for all the players.
I'm the guy who says "pass that guy the ball and let him play until he fail, he's scoring now .. give him the ball" and then when he fail say "it's ok, lets run another play".

Most of the times depends on who are you playing with.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Man I hate these guys who only wanna play point. Like I've played with some guys where if you get the rebound they yell, slow down pass it back, then just walk it up and either put up a terrible shot or make some trying to be fancy pass.

I just try to bring it up myself whenever I can, try to get everyone involved. But it is an awful way to play, its best when a guy gets a rebound, unless hes a big or has no handles, that the person who got the rebound can bring it up and everyone else looks to score, otherwise the game can get boring, especially if you havent touched the ball in a while.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Yea whenever i get a board I bring it up unless we have a true point who knows what he is doing. Most of the time that is not the case tho so I bring the ball up and usually look to start swinging it around.

Just keep playing 5's man... You will get better. Your game isn't going to translate right away, but eventually with practice it will.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 AM   #5
devin112
Local High School Star

devin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected posterdevin112 is a pretty well-respected poster

u were going to quit and you play passive? sounds like you need work on your inner game more then anything else. if you truly loved the game you wouldn't consider quiting because you can always find enjoyment in it some way. Even if you don't get to shoot a ton or handle the ball for the team, there's still a lot you can do to contribute and also have fun. Set picks and roll to the hop or pop, win some extra possessions for the team by grabbing offensive boards, D up get a steal or block, etc... ala gerald wallace.

i've played w/ complete strangers where i'm the odd man out of the team and i just let them do there thing and try to contribute. people will notice you have game and start passing less to the ball hog and a little more to you and the important thing is when you do get the ball make it count and take a good shot or good play. forcing 3's is the worst thing you can do, who's going to want to pass it to you? take it to the paint son! lol good things will happen if you play strong and attack, maybe a layup, foul, or pass.

but it doesn't sound like you love the game that much if you're willing to quit and decided to get stay in because a friend stroked ur ego.

Last edited by devin112 : 08-21-2010 at 06:06 AM.
devin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

i agree with a lot of what you said, those are majority of the reasons why i don't like playing "at the park"

but now's the reality check for you

you can be a much better teammate if you do the following things off the ball

when the "fail pg" is dribbling in circle, get yourself opened up and visible to to him so he can dish it off to you. (if everyone just stood around, dont expect people to get you the ball, there might be a reason the "ball hog" always get the ball, either he makes himself open and visible or the defense sags off on him so much that he appears to be open all the time)

Better shot selection. you mentioned you were 0/3 on from 3 pt line because they were forced shots. there's no shot clock in a street game or even if you play in high school rule, pass the ball if you are in trouble.

other things you should do are cutting the lane, setting screens , crash the board and play good defense. all those things will get you or your teammates some easy baskets.

now going back to why i agree with some of your points. in a street game where most people think they know how to play. they wont recognize you for doing the fundamentally correct things, sometimes when you get open people simply don't have the vision to see you and dish the ball to you. they'll only remember when you missed a shot or had a bad play.

given that, if you truly dont think it's much of your fault and you've done all you can to help your teammates then i suggest you do the following:

#1. play with people you know, or stick to the same 5 all the time so you guys know what each other is capable of and wants to do. (let's be honest, if it's a bunch of strangers with uneven level of skills, it's going to turn into 1 vs 5 for most part of the game)

#2. play organized ball, get on a team and run with that club
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
bobbyflay

WOW ARE YOU SERIOUS, MY POST GOT DELETED AGAIN?(poured my heart out on it) Ok back on topic.

Yeah, I really should be more vocal. I realized that when I did, the team was more successful. Like one time, my friend was trying to cross a guy over and over for 15 seconds. I then yelled,"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING. PASS IT TO __" He then passed it to the guy, and he made slashed through and made a layup. Another time, when the fail point guard was running in circles around the paint, I yelled,"HEY PASS ME THE BALL". I then did a euro step against the whole opposing team and dished it out with a no look pass to my teammate. He made the 3 pointer and everyone praised him.

I love basketball, because it's so.. can't explain it without an essay so..it's good. It's like I'm dancing and on drugs lol. I tried to set a few screens/pick and rolls, but they weren't that great. I did get about 8 steals though. I guess I shouldn't have let the guys do their thing.

I guess that's it. I should be more vocal and less passive. More and more in my life, I'm realizing people are asking me what they should do and if I could lead a group. I finally realized that it's because I make the right choices.. These solutions seem so simple and logical like getting in the person's vision. I guess the "fail point guard" was just waiting until someone got in the paint or something(the "ball hogger" always rushed in the paint). I guess the "ball hogger" was just waiting until someone went with him to attack the opposing team(he was sometimes looking around to pass it to someone but everyone was outside the 3 point line). I'll work on my inner game. Alot of these situations are happening in life excluding basketball too. I guess in situations like these, I should just get a kick in the ass. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll know what to do next time.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Work on your post game... You will get ignored sometimes but at least you made an effort to get the ball in a good position. I can't tell you how many times I have come down the floor only to have everybody standing at the 3 point line and it's a bummer. So, if you see that that nothing is really happening offensively, post up and call for the ball. Become a good passer out of the post... it's amazing how many people you will find. If you don't find anyone, start going to work. If you can be effective scoring from that position, then you know you are getting a good shot. Even if you miss, it's still a good shot... better than forcing 3's eh?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
MichaelCheazley
B-Eazy Mike Beasley

MichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In my opinion I highly recomend you work on offball movement. You tend to get the ball more if you can get open. This can lead to an assist, or someone helping your defender if you can lose them on defence. It usually opens up a lot of oppurtunities. One more important tip, play to your strenghts and be patient with ball hogs. Dont force too many bad shots up or youll get less touches. Just fully concentrate on getting defensive stops and youll be rewarded most of the time.
MichaelCheazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #10
JohnWall2
JOHN WALL ALLDAYERRDAY

JohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJohnWall2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

offball movement is important in basketball, whether if its pickup or not... i hate playing with guys who cant move without the ball or dont see offball cuts/screens
JohnWall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

You really have to find the right balance and adjust to your teammates. If you have a guy that likes to penetrate, then you don't have to move as much... just spot up somewhere and be ready to catch the pass. If you man takes his eye off you, then cut right behind him.

If you have a guy that dribbles at the 3 point line and is looking for someone to pass to, then you can move around a lot more and try to catch the ball in good positions. The best is when you have a guy in the post who can pass... everybody starts ball watching when the ball goes in there and you can get a lot of easy buckets.

I think the thing to make sure you don't to is move around too much and bring defenders into the guy who has the ball. Make sure he can see you... otherwise a turnover might result. Just the other day my friend did his patented baseline cut (moves from one baseline to the other) while a guy had the ball in the post... the guy who was guarding him followed him along the baseline and stole the ball from the guy in the post cus my friend brought him over and was out of the guy's line of sight. He knew what he did and said he was sorry... I have yelled at him for doing it before so hopefully that's the last time he does it
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
bobbyflay

Holy ****.. The freshmen team today played games of 5v5. There was a team who was pro, a team who was semi good, a team who was also semi good, a team who was ok, and guess what? I was on the team that sucked the most. Teammate 1:He's fat and obese but he knows what to do. The bad thing is he's not capable physically.
Teammate2:He's fat but he's ok. He doesn't know how to defend and move without the ball though.
Teammate3:He's my friend. He's ok but he's not fast(sorta 8 minute mile). He can't defend well and falls for fakes easily.
Teammate4:Seriously even though I know people can train and get better and anyone can play basketball, when I see this guy plays it just makes me think otherwise. He ballhogs, he has no handle, no court vision, no defence, he's fat and can't run(about 12 minute mile), and he shoots with two hands. He listens so that's good(HE DOESN'T ****in follow directions though).

Well we vsed one of the semi good teams. I played sort of passively and it became chaotic. Teammate #4 was turning over alot. Teammate #3 couldn't finish. We did ok on defence though. Final Score-5-0 We lost
I got pissed and took over. I gave everyone advice on what we should do.

Then we vsed the pro team.. I was controlling this one and it made a whole lot of difference. There was alot less turnovers and etc. The teammate #4 got packed alot because he just tried to shoot everytime even though I told him to fake. The other team started to do alot of fast breaks. I stole the ball about 3 times in about 15 seconds lol(I'm the only one that could keep up with the other team. They run miles in like 5 minutes. I stole the ball because they kept on throwing it to one person who sprinted down). My team was left in the dust. Then I penetrated their defence and got a travel called for?(pretty stupid. Right when I drove in, one of the other team's members just held their whole arm out when I picked up the ball and I took another step. It's still just a pivot step and if it wasn't, I'm allowed to take 2 steps.)Well in the end, we got one point so that's all that matters. Then they started getting smart.They started getting 3 guys to sprint. My friend tried to help but he was just too slow.. We lost by that tactic in like a minute.

Question:How could you make a team that's not physically capable, not skillfully capable, and are bad teammates a good team? (it seems obvious but please go in more detail).

Last edited by bobbyflay : 09-29-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Question:How could you make a team that's not physically capable, not skillfully capable, and are bad teammates a good team? (it seems obvious but please go in more detail).

You know you can't.
Itt's like asking this: "what the hell Nets could do last season to win the champinship'?"
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #14
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

I'd say you could try and really go pure PG to set your teammates up with wide open looks directly under the basket, but that tactic only works for a couple points until the D realizes what's up.

There really isn't a way when your teammates are completely terrible. There's a line where players have to be able to hit layups/handle decently or you're really in a tough situation. But in your situation, you're on the team that's the worst. So there's your signal to start dominating the ball and putting up big numbers. There's no worry about who should be taking the most shots since you're the best player on your team, so it's a prime opportunity to show off to your coach. He'll understand that you're leading a bad team so even if you lose, show off your skills.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #15
bobbyflay

Aaah I guess you have to sometimes just accept it You're right too carpevicis. I shouldn't have tried to play out of my team's limit. I should have thought about going out with a big bang.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: