Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-30-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How to be a better teammate?

I know it sounds corny, but if I'm playing with some scrubs or guys who aren't too athletic, I try to say positive things as much as possible. If I notice something that the guy isn't doing, I'll pull him to the side and be like "ayo, when I drive and kick, shoot it. Don't worry I'll be there for the rebound" or "don't try to dribble much because he'll steal the ball. Stop, pass to me and go to the rim. More than likely you'll be open so I'll hit you with a pass. Go straight up towards the rim no matter what".

From my experience(I'm only 23 so I'm not gonna act like I'm real old or something), I've found that guys who don't play ball much or aren't too athletic usually make mistakes because of their confidence. Hesitating, shooting too fast, trying to do too much...it's all about confidence. If I can say something to get guys to slow down and think a little, it usually means more buckets and better overall play for the team.

Bottom line, learn when to be a dick and when to be a leader. It's really the only chance you have at improving a team full of unathletic scrubs.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
Ghettobird
Banned

Ghettobird is a pretty well-respected posterGhettobird is a pretty well-respected posterGhettobird is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa
I know it sounds corny, but if I'm playing with some scrubs or guys who aren't too athletic, I try to say positive things as much as possible. If I notice something that the guy isn't doing, I'll pull him to the side and be like "ayo, when I drive and kick, shoot it. Don't worry I'll be there for the rebound" or "don't try to dribble much because he'll steal the ball. Stop, pass to me and go to the rim. More than likely you'll be open so I'll hit you with a pass. Go straight up towards the rim no matter what".

From my experience(I'm only 23 so I'm not gonna act like I'm real old or something), I've found that guys who don't play ball much or aren't too athletic usually make mistakes because of their confidence. Hesitating, shooting too fast, trying to do too much...it's all about confidence. If I can say something to get guys to slow down and think a little, it usually means more buckets and better overall play for the team.

Bottom line, learn when to be a dick and when to be a leader. It's really the only chance you have at improving a team full of unathletic scrubs.

i am exactly the same way, i'm only 26 but i play with lots of younger guys, that i know are better, but you start playing a full court game with better guys and they start freezing, and just getting outta rythym, iknow i really appreciated soemone pulling me aside and giving me some help when i was younger so i try to do the same thing
Ghettobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejumpa

Yea it really depends on the person tho. Me, I am a great follower. I can also lead too, but I am a very good off the ball player so if there is a playmaker on my team and he wants me to do certain things, I will do them. I have to respect who is talking to me tho... and I know within the first couple plays if following the guy's lead is going to lead to success.

But yea, the key to getting the most of scrubs is to put them in positions to be successful. You either get the scrub who doesn't do much of anything, or the scrub who tries to do too much... When you give those guys specific tasks, the game slows down for them, they build confidence, and they will become at least more productive than they were. I would pull him aside real quick and say "Yo... you want to help the team win right? Look man... slow down (or pick it up) and do what you can do best.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #19
Snapwebsolution
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Snapwebsolution has an OK reputation so far

There are few compliments in sports greater than when a person is described as a team player, but there is also a sort of negative connotation that goes with the term, as if a player has to be this way since his individual talent is not that strong. However, anyone on a basketball team can be a team player, regardless of level of skill or "star" status. In the sport of basketball, there are several ways for an individual to become a better team player, which means that she is willing to go the extra mile for the good of the squad. There are tangible things that can be done on the court in practice and in games as well as off the court to achieve this goal.

Last edited by Snapwebsolution : 10-11-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Snapwebsolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #20
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Hmm please be more specific? I think you're just talking about the importance of being a teammate than actually how to be a better teammate.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: