Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Default What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

I am out of my playing days, but want to start back up again and look at least respectable on the court. What are some of the things you guys do to improve your game.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
I am out of my playing days, but want to start back up again and look at least respectable on the court. What are some of the things you guys do to improve your game.

- Shoot around, 10 shoots for each position (2 baseline, 2 45 and one from the middle) , short, mid range and downtown. (150 shoots) and then 20 free throws
- Dribbling around the court, alterning with jump shots and penetrations.
- Put chairs in some positions and try to re-create some pick and rolls situations to shoot or penetrate.
- Shoot around, 10 shoots for each position (2 baseline, 2 45 and one from the middle) , short, mid range and downtown. (150 shoots) and then 20 free throws.

Summer workout.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
- Shoot around, 10 shoots for each position (2 baseline, 2 45 and one from the middle) , short, mid range and downtown. (150 shoots) and then 20 free throws
- Put chairs in some positions and try to re-create some pick and rolls situations to shoot or penetrate.
- Shoot around, 10 shoots for each position (2 baseline, 2 45 and one from the middle) , short, mid range and downtown. (150 shoots) and then 20 free throws.

Summer workout.
ill try it. ill update you guys if it helps me or not
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
ill try it. ill update you guys if it helps me or not

I don't know what you need in specific .. maybe you got some things that you need to work harder then you can adjust your drills.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:

Summer workout.

About how long does that take you?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
About how long does that take you?

45 minutes, an hour.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
623baller
dedicate

Quote:

Summer workout.

i got a similar routine too

i do the following at each of the 5 spots (2 baseline, 2 45 and top of the key)

Mid Range
- triple threat position, pump fake and 1 dribble step to pull up (make 10).
(triple threat for baselines, cross over to pull up for top of they key and 2 45)

Threes
- spot up or cross over to pull up (make 10)

Layups
- triple threat position, pump fake and 1~2 dribble step to layup(make 10)
- triple threat position, pump fake and 1~2 dribble step to layup(make 10)
(triple threat for baselines, cross over to pull up for top of they key and 2 45)

Free Throws
- Make 5

at the end of the day, we are looking at about 225 shots made

on average takes me a little over 1 hr to finish as well.
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
45 minutes, an hour.

Not bad... was looking for a workout around that long to have my friend do tonight.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
stridge
Decent playground baller

around the world, but I must make 5 shots in a row from each spot to advance. if i am short on time then usually its just 3 in a row.
stridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

If you really want to be a consistent shootet one of my friends at the gym jamie benton used to play at bc and hes automatic, he says he used to practice the same shots 50 times.

Example:
1-2 step shot x50
Dribble to 3point pullup, steve nash x50
Step back x50

Its tough but you'll be automatic, I mix it up though, 50 shots then a dribbling drill, easiest with music
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

What the ff.. Dang I guess I really needed to change my training schedule or something. Mine is-

Warm Up-5-15 minutes of shooting layups/shoot closely
10 Free Throws
Do 10 Form Shooting Shots(use one hand only and make sure correct form) from 5 spots around paint
10 Free Throws
Do Around the body dribbling drill one minute/Do where you dribble ball with fingers in front of you called up the ladder one minute/Do squeeze the banana drill where you squeeze basketball one minute/Do figure 8 no dribbling one minute/Do catch catch under legs one minute/Do figure 8 dribbling/Do reverse figure 8 dribbling/Do through the legs dribbling infront and back one minute/Do spider drill one minute

Practice passing by 10 overhead passes/10 behind the back/10 bounce pass/10 chest pass

Practice each move 15 times:crossover/double crossover/in and out/spin/reverse spin/under the leg/behind the back/

Make 5 shots from each move/Pass 5 times from each move

50 free throws

off topic:HELP ME CLEAN IT UP PLEASE. I think I'm practicing excessive stuff.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #12
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
What the ff.. Dang I guess I really needed to change my training schedule or something. Mine is-

Warm Up-5-15 minutes of shooting layups/shoot closely
10 Free Throws
Do 10 Form Shooting Shots(use one hand only and make sure correct form) from 5 spots around paint
10 Free Throws
Do Around the body dribbling drill one minute/Do where you dribble ball with fingers in front of you called up the ladder one minute/Do squeeze the banana drill where you squeeze basketball one minute/Do figure 8 no dribbling one minute/Do catch catch under legs one minute/Do figure 8 dribbling/Do reverse figure 8 dribbling/Do through the legs dribbling infront and back one minute/Do spider drill one minute

Practice passing by 10 overhead passes/10 behind the back/10 bounce pass/10 chest pass

Practice each move 15 times:crossover/double crossover/in and out/spin/reverse spin/under the leg/behind the back/

Make 5 shots from each move/Pass 5 times from each move

50 free throws

off topic:HELP ME CLEAN IT UP PLEASE. I think I'm practicing excessive stuff.

You do too many basic stuff !
Put some IN GAME drills, mostly shoots or "imagine" drills dribbling with screens.
The basic stuff that you pratice like passes and 8 dribbles are basic stuff that you should only do like 15 minutes, everything together.

Last edited by Maga_1 : 08-23-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I've mentioned this before but if you guys have access anywhere in your area to a shooting machine (aka The Gun) do whatever you need to do to get on there and get some reps. You can crank out hundreds of shots in a half hour (spot up, mid range, on the move, etc).

In lieu of a machine, I'm always huge on partner shooting. Simple concept really: one person shoots, gets his own rebound, passes to his partner who should be spotting up. Rinse, repeat. We'll aim to hit 50 spot up mid range shots, then add a pump fake with one dribble or shot over contest, or three pointers. . .whatever comes to mind. Next to the gun, it's the second most effective way to get up hundreds of shots in a short amount of time.

I've also really warmed up to the idea of playing one-on-one. When it's just you and a pal, if you guys push one another, it's a great workout and a fine tool in developing elusive offensive maneuvers as well as stopping power on D.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I've mentioned this before but if you guys have access anywhere in your area to a shooting machine (aka The Gun) do whatever you need to do to get on there and get some reps. You can crank out hundreds of shots in a half hour (spot up, mid range, on the move, etc).

In lieu of a machine, I'm always huge on partner shooting. Simple concept really: one person shoots, gets his own rebound, passes to his partner who should be spotting up. Rinse, repeat. We'll aim to hit 50 spot up mid range shots, then add a pump fake with one dribble or shot over contest, or three pointers. . .whatever comes to mind. Next to the gun, it's the second most effective way to get up hundreds of shots in a short amount of time.

I've also really warmed up to the idea of playing one-on-one. When it's just you and a pal, if you guys push one another, it's a great workout and a fine tool in developing elusive offensive maneuvers as well as stopping power on D.

Yeah I love the gun its amazing, and one on one is great for working on your game.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

Yea i became a much better shooter (As did my friend) when me and my friend would rebound for each other and give each other roughly 20 shots (or until we missed after 20) rather than just play change. You can get into such a great rhythm and put so many more shots up. I would say I improved my shooting percentage by roughly 7-10% in about 3 months.

I have always loved one on one... not so much for offense, but for defense. Offensively it's really only good for the post because if you get by your man, there is probably going to be help, and that's just not there in 1 on 1. 21 is much better for offense IMO... but worse for defense because you know you have help (rather than not knowing if you really do or not). Generally you will be 1 on 1 in the post tho so it's a great tool for getting your post game up. You can practice all the post moves you want, but most of the time there is going to be contact on those moves and you have to be able to adjust to it. I can make little drop step lefty hook on the baseline with no defender with pretty good consistency... but when I'm being guarded, having to spin off of someone, that body contact, it throws off the shot... So I need to keep practicing with someone on me so I get it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: