Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-24-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea i became a much better shooter (As did my friend) when me and my friend would rebound for each other and give each other roughly 20 shots (or until we missed after 20) rather than just play change. You can get into such a great rhythm and put so many more shots up. I would say I improved my shooting percentage by roughly 7-10% in about 3 months.

I have always loved one on one... not so much for offense, but for defense. Offensively it's really only good for the post because if you get by your man, there is probably going to be help, and that's just not there in 1 on 1. 21 is much better for offense IMO... but worse for defense because you know you have help (rather than not knowing if you really do or not). Generally you will be 1 on 1 in the post tho so it's a great tool for getting your post game up. You can practice all the post moves you want, but most of the time there is going to be contact on those moves and you have to be able to adjust to it. I can make little drop step lefty hook on the baseline with no defender with pretty good consistency... but when I'm being guarded, having to spin off of someone, that body contact, it throws off the shot... So I need to keep practicing with someone on me so I get it.
Thanks for the one-foot squats link.

In terms of developing man-to-man defense and effective dribble moves, I'm going to go ahead and throw out "one-on-one-on-one" too. I run it differently than just "21". In my mode, it's a revolving game of one-on-one. Player A (offense) will face Player B (defense) to start. If Player A scores, he stays while Player C will revolve in on defense.

The difference here is that once the defense grabs the board, the play becomes dead. If Player A shoots and Player B rebounds, the ball is checked up top where the roles are reversed (Player B takes his turn on offense against Player A).

It seems like it'd be an easier version of one-on-one but somehow, by checking up on each changed possession, all the energy of both players is centralized and focused upon the one-on-one matchup. There's no worry about energy conservation. What this yields is ultra-competitive exchanges on each possession, forcing creativity, execution and exertion every play.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

i have a specific routine. first, i start with form shooting. start at the first hash in the paint directly in front of the rim. i make five swishes in a row before i move back to the second hash, and i make five swishes again. then i move back to the last hash and i make five more.

next i do straight ball handling drills. i have a number of two ball drills that i do. i also lay on my back and dribble on my side and behind my head.

after ball handling comes midrange jumpers. i do the ray allen drill +1, -2 from the elbows. great drill that i recommend to anyone.

from there i'll work on whatever moves i feel i need to for that day/week. practice runners with both hands, crossovers into pull-ups, post moves, etc. anything that will make me a more dynamic offensive player.
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #18
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
- Shoot around, 10 shoots for each position (2 baseline, 2 45 and one from the middle) , short, mid range and downtown. (150 shoots) and then 20 free throws
- Dribbling around the court, alterning with jump shots and penetrations.
- Put chairs in some positions and try to re-create some pick and rolls situations to shoot or penetrate.
- Shoot around, 10 shoots for each position (2 baseline, 2 45 and one from the middle) , short, mid range and downtown. (150 shoots) and then 20 free throws.

Summer workout.

I love the chairs, especially when I'm getting a little bored of workouts I just practice with my chairs, makes things a little more exciting when I'm practicing
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #19
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Thanks for the one-foot squats link.

In terms of developing man-to-man defense and effective dribble moves, I'm going to go ahead and throw out "one-on-one-on-one" too. I run it differently than just "21". In my mode, it's a revolving game of one-on-one. Player A (offense) will face Player B (defense) to start. If Player A scores, he stays while Player C will revolve in on defense.

The difference here is that once the defense grabs the board, the play becomes dead. If Player A shoots and Player B rebounds, the ball is checked up top where the roles are reversed (Player B takes his turn on offense against Player A).

It seems like it'd be an easier version of one-on-one but somehow, by checking up on each changed possession, all the energy of both players is centralized and focused upon the one-on-one matchup. There's no worry about energy conservation. What this yields is ultra-competitive exchanges on each possession, forcing creativity, execution and exertion every play.

Yea that's the way I like to play one on one too if there is 3 people... and I like to mix it up by being in different situations i.e. being given the ball in the high post, low post, baseline 3, etc. I start out at all different positions on the floor, pick my spot that I want the ball, and then have player C pass it to me... That way, we can practice sealing our guy, V cutting to create space to receive the pass, etc. It also incorporates passing as well. Player C needs to give a good pass... and that's practice as well. IMO if have 3 people, that's the best all around way to practice... 21 to me is a better way of practicing how to score (because of the help D)... but you aren't ever going to magically start out with the ball at the top of the arc in a game.. so it's good to practice other (game) situations

The way we are talking about with the player ABC rotation, this is better for the offensive player because every defender you face is going to be at least somewhat fresh. There won't be any lazy defensive plays where the guy gave up because he was tired. There is too much pride involved when you have energy there definitely will be lazy offensive plays tho, especially if someone scores 4 or 5 in a row... but that's when you have to push through the fatigue.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 08-24-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:10 AM   #20
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
What the ff.. Dang I guess I really needed to change my training schedule or something. Mine is-

Warm Up-5-15 minutes of shooting layups/shoot closely
10 Free Throws
Do 10 Form Shooting Shots(use one hand only and make sure correct form) from 5 spots around paint
10 Free Throws
Do Around the body dribbling drill one minute/Do where you dribble ball with fingers in front of you called up the ladder one minute/Do squeeze the banana drill where you squeeze basketball one minute/Do figure 8 no dribbling one minute/Do catch catch under legs one minute/Do figure 8 dribbling/Do reverse figure 8 dribbling/Do through the legs dribbling infront and back one minute/Do spider drill one minute

Practice passing by 10 overhead passes/10 behind the back/10 bounce pass/10 chest pass

Practice each move 15 times:crossover/double crossover/in and out/spin/reverse spin/under the leg/behind the back/

Make 5 shots from each move/Pass 5 times from each move

50 free throws

off topic:HELP ME CLEAN IT UP PLEASE. I think I'm practicing excessive stuff.

incorporate your dribble moves with a shot or lay up, you'll save time

you should get a buddy or someone to help you with those passing drills, i think it's good to have but precise passing can't really be practiced if you just bounce it off the wall because most of the time, your team mates are moving, you wana hit them with a precise pass without them chasing the ball

lastly, work on your defense, i dont have it in my routine and but that's probably the most important thing that can help your game. do some slides, quickness drills, keeping the hands up ...etc.
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #21
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

I usually play 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, or 5 on 5 at the gym. I guess that covers my defence training/basketball iq training. I changed mine to the following:

5 minute warmup

10 shots from 5 places with one hand shooting practice (sometimes it takes 20 minutes because my backyard has a lot of junk in it and I have to manuever around them so I guess I need to change this into something else).
5 minutes of overhead /behind the back/bounce/chest passing to specific targets

10 minutes of around the head/torso/feet then up the ladder/then figure 8 and reverse figure 8/ then do it with dribbling/then crab dribbling/then spider

make at least 50% of freethrows with making at least 10 shots(so max I could miss is 20 and I also do them more close up because need to get more used to do new form and I if I try to do at the free throw range, it will mess up).

do 10 random ingame situations and make 10 shots for each

make 20 close up(will change to real free throws once I get used to do the form) free throws and maintain at least 50%

do 10 random ingame different situations and make 10 shots for each

make 30 close up free throws with at least 50%
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #22
LittleMoney45
I airball my layups

LittleMoney45 has an OK reputation so far

I'm 14 and these are the drills I do:

Circle Drill: Set up 4 cones along one sideline, 1 at half-court, another at the corner of half-court and the sideline, and finally three cones side-by-side right outside the paint. I do an in-and-out move on the first three, spin move on the 4th sideline cone, stepback crossover in between that cone and the halfcourt one, a double-move at the halfcourt cone, and a behind the back or spin move at the halfcourt-sideline cone, and finally a move going hard to the basket on the final one, such as a Euro-step, reverse, floater in the lane, etc.

Ball Handling Drill: Don't know what it is called, but my dad sets up a cone a couple feet from the 3pt-line and then one at the elbow. I then do a basic crossover at each cone and go hard to the basket at the end. Then I continue to do more moves like between the legs, behind the back, spin move, double moves, and stepback crossover.

Touch Shots: Do at least 5 little touch shots from right in front of the basket, then move back, repeat, do both blocks, and finally have to make 20 free throws. I then do baseline and wing shots.

Double-Move layups and off the dribble jumpers.

Game Situations: Act like I'm bringing the ball up like a 1 and make a move, pass it to the big man(my dad) and cut to the basket, or pop a 3.

Spot-up shooting.

Then I usually run a game with whoever else is shooting around in the gyms, and I also play with the older guys on Sundays and Wednesdays, when many of them are up there.
LittleMoney45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #23
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

lilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation herelilojmayo has an incredible reputation here

Just do this this is what i do everytime when i enter a gym to practice, been doing since i saw the video like 1.5 months ago . It improve every facet of your shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk

Last edited by lilojmayo : 09-12-2010 at 07:27 AM.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #24
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo
Just do this this is what i do everytime when i enter a gym to practice, been doing since i saw the video like 1.5 months ago . It improve every facet of your shot.

Hmm might have to write that list down and start doin it... will prolly take me marginally longer than it takes him though
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilojmayo

It really goes to show you that even one of the best NBA shooters, miss a ton of shots.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

Birmingham1955 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2k8
Hmm might have to write that list down and start doin it... will prolly take me marginally longer than it takes him though

I tried it, but it is a little to advance for me, I need something more basic. I have trouble making a regular set shot, now your going to tell me to take step backs when i am off balance, to advance.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #27
Point Blank
Superbowl or Bust!

Point Blank has decent reputation

When practicing shooting, I usually shot the ball where the ball ends up after a miss or make.
Point Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #28
Snapwebsolution
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Snapwebsolution has an OK reputation so far

Dribbling around the court, alterning with jump shots and penetrations. Shoot around, 20 shoots for each position short, mid range and downtown. and then 40 free throws.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:18 AM   #29
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

How do you guys find empty courts, people to practice with on friday nights, cones and etc?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #30
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

going around the 3 pt arc, must make 7/10 to advance to next spot, keep going until you dont make the cut, then its the next persons turn. first one to go baseline to baseline wins. if you really want to work on your stroke play where you can only make swishes.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: