Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #31
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
How do you guys find empty courts, people to practice with on friday nights, cones and etc?

It's easiest to practice then, but it's hard to find people to practice with. No one in my town actually practices consistently, you might find a select few kids who practice a couple times a month but other than that they just run pickup.

Try and find a gym where good players go. My local rec center is always empty because the kids in my town don't want to go, but once I go to the next town over where college players/really good players go, it's always easy to find a run or dudes working out.

Last edited by carpevicis : 10-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #32
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
jerzymade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
jerzymade has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

I spend about 10 minutes doing crossovers and pounding the ball i never did drills except when i was in the house. Then once my hands are warm up i start from front of the rim with one hand shooting. After i consistanly made those i go around the world thats about 30 minutes and i finish doing alot of one dribble or two dribble pull ups and a couple of suicides for my lungs. BTW because i can't make a thread, does dribbling drills make a huge difference? because i never done them unless i was home(the wrap drills) I just dribble all over the place and practice my moves as fast and pounding the ball on crossovers too. I used to lose the ball alot.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #33
magnax1
Green Union's Grant
 
magnax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Preserve the green
Posts: 16,438
magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

I never understood the point of drills unless you can't play. There really isn't a better way to improve your game then just playing.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:11 PM   #34
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,232
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
I never understood the point of drills unless you can't play. There really isn't a better way to improve your game then just playing.

it has to be a mix of both things.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #35
magnax1
Green Union's Grant
 
magnax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Preserve the green
Posts: 16,438
magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
it has to be a mix of both things.
Well obviously you have to have some sort of foundation before you can play, but I always improve a lot more playing then when I do drills. You just don't learn the same sort of things you do in a game in drills.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #36
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,232
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Well obviously you have to have some sort of foundation before you can play, but I always improve a lot more playing then when I do drills. You just don't learn the same sort of things you do in a game in drills.

but you have to do the drills, to use that in your game. that's the main point.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #37
magnax1
Green Union's Grant
 
magnax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Preserve the green
Posts: 16,438
magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
but you have to do the drills, to use that in your game. that's the main point.
Yeah, but once you get a foundation you have learn how to execute that. Drills are only where you start, I'm not saying drills are useless, but everything in motion is much different then a drill, it doesn't always translate that well.
Maybe it's just me though.
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #38
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,232
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Yeah, but once you get a foundation you have learn how to execute that. Drills are only where you start, I'm not saying drills are useless, but everything in motion is much different then a drill, it doesn't always translate that well.
Maybe it's just me though.

No you're right, but i'm too .
A mix of both of our opinions is the right answer i think.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #39
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
jerzymade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
jerzymade has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Cause when i was younger i never did drills like the figure eight. I just practice all my in game moves but i really pounded the ball and went as fast as i could. And i build my arm strength and hand quickness through that. I was just wondering if it made a difference.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #40
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

^^^ aa I didn't spot the question you said in your post. I started doing drills at the beginning of the summer and it turned me from below average ball handler to great ball handler. I was going to post something about this in my other thread but might as well post it here. I'm kind of mediocre about spotting advanced plays, so I'm not the main ball handler. However, everyone trusts me in "times of chaos". By that I mean when there's like people triple teaming the point guard. They just dish it to me and the defenders either just back up to defend again or I end up doing a crossover or something into either a spin move or behind the back(always one of those), and then we score a easy bucket from a pass.

Oh yeah, if you want some drills that I kept from cleaning of my workout, they are around the world(body), up the ladder, squeeze the banana, forgot what its called but you dribble with one hand back and forth then both hands front and back, crab walk, figure 8, figure 8 high bounces, then spider(I used to do them in like 30 minutes but now I do them in 5-10 minutes from getting used to them).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:16 AM   #41
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Maga_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,232
Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Did you guys know that in ACB (2nd best league in the world) the morning practices are just fundamentals mainly? Like the figure eight and that type of things ..
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:40 PM   #42
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
jerzymade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
jerzymade has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
^^^ aa I didn't spot the question you said in your post. I started doing drills at the beginning of the summer and it turned me from below average ball handler to great ball handler. I was going to post something about this in my other thread but might as well post it here. I'm kind of mediocre about spotting advanced plays, so I'm not the main ball handler. However, everyone trusts me in "times of chaos". By that I mean when there's like people triple teaming the point guard. They just dish it to me and the defenders either just back up to defend again or I end up doing a crossover or something into either a spin move or behind the back(always one of those), and then we score a easy bucket from a pass.

Oh yeah, if you want some drills that I kept from cleaning of my workout, they are around the world(body), up the ladder, squeeze the banana, forgot what its called but you dribble with one hand back and forth then both hands front and back, crab walk, figure 8, figure 8 high bounces, then spider(I used to do them in like 30 minutes but now I do them in 5-10 minutes from getting used to them).

O no i wasn't looking for drills, like i said when i was growing up i never did those type of drills like figure 8 or the spider etc. I was just did all the moves i would do in a game as fast as i could and try to add different moves to them. I was wondering because one time @ the Y this kid was trying to do some drills, and i guess he saw me play and ask how i handle such great handle lol but i just told him that to pound the ball and do your crossovers as fast as you could. I didn't want to tell him nothing wrong so thats why i asked. I did do the wraps while i was in the house before i went to bed, snowing, etc.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #43
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

oh okay. Could everyone post what their dream basketball training or their ultimate basketball training is? I'm really serious. I'll be honest that lately, my basketball love for the game just ceased. I did practice an hour and 30 minutes everyday though. I'm almost automatic for all the shots I practiced and my handles are what they are from practicing, but I just realized I'm just so passive. Everybody just keeps on telling me to "be hungry". It didn't really affect me even though they literally said it for over 2 years already. Now, it just all hit me in one giant impact. I found out that the guys that I really respected that play basketball say I'm on the same level as them but I just need more experience on the relativity of basketball(they are 2 years older), my family are 100% in support of basketball right now because they see my dedication, and most of all I see myself as a basketball player now(I couldn't a couple months ago). I'm really ready now.

To Sum Up My Cheesy Burst Of Emotion: What's the ultimate basketball training?(I can't find any nba ones. I only found kobe's and it said that he just worked on whatever he thought of for 2 hours straight and then he plays pick up basketball wherever he wants to).
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #44
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
jerzymade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
jerzymade has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
oh okay. Could everyone post what their dream basketball training or their ultimate basketball training is? I'm really serious. I'll be honest that lately, my basketball love for the game just ceased. I did practice an hour and 30 minutes everyday though. I'm almost automatic for all the shots I practiced and my handles are what they are from practicing, but I just realized I'm just so passive. Everybody just keeps on telling me to "be hungry". It didn't really affect me even though they literally said it for over 2 years already. Now, it just all hit me in one giant impact. I found out that the guys that I really respected that play basketball say I'm on the same level as them but I just need more experience on the relativity of basketball(they are 2 years older), my family are 100% in support of basketball right now because they see my dedication, and most of all I see myself as a basketball player now(I couldn't a couple months ago). I'm really ready now.

To Sum Up My Cheesy Burst Of Emotion: What's the ultimate basketball training?(I can't find any nba ones. I only found kobe's and it said that he just worked on whatever he thought of for 2 hours straight and then he plays pick up basketball wherever he wants to).

ummm from my experince nba players don't do too many different things. They just have more resources. I mean from the players i know they do basic drills to keep their skills sharp. For example figure 8's two ball, pound dribble drills, and ball wraps. The things is that they do use alot of intensity and concentration. Their is no secret drills out there that only the pro's know. Here is a vid from a guy named dre i stumbled across his vids while on youtube and use his vids for my nephew's when i'm not there personally to show them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkQVRL82fDE It's one of many misconception's of pro basketball. (Bad grammar) The most important thing while working out is game intensity with everything go as hard as you can and you see the improvement.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:45 PM   #45
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: winchester
Posts: 217
bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: What drills to you do guys do when you practice?

Yeah I just figured it out. It looks like I have to create my own ultimate workout, because everyone plays differently I guess.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy