Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
theaussieguy
Local High School Star

Default Finally felt like i had a knockdown jumper last night

So i first picked up a bball last year at the age of 20. I'd never played seriously before and the last time i attempted i would of been a 5 foot 3 kid. Over the last year i have fell in love with the game, and last night, for the first time since i started, i was actually extremely comfortable in my shot. I knew exacly what i needed to do to get that ball in. I knew that if i could elevate right, and release the ball right at the point of de acceleration, it would go in.I am 5 foot 10, not heavy but slightly musclular and athletic. I can touch a regulation rim and think my handles are right up there, even though im lacking basic fundamentals. However i have discovered the best thing you can do to improve your game is just by doing things that do not feel right. I mean so many people would neglect their left handed layup but its just one of those things that EVERYONE can get good at, but not everyone learns. So at this point of time im slowly adding to my arsenal.

Over the last few weeks i have watched a lot of Kobe videos, taken extreme notice of what he does with his hands/body when he shoots. Last night it all came together i could see it so clearly in my mind what kobe does to get that ball in. At first i wasn't comfortable letting my arm flow like a snake, but i started doing it at first even though it felt wierd. After 20 minutes though it felt like i knew exacly how kobe feels when hes knocking down jumper after jumper. I particulary paid attention to how Kevin Garnett and Kobe shoot. As they elevate their bodies rotate in a way so that their shooting arms are perfectly centred about their body. Even though they may be twisted, their legs keep the balance as the body goes through the motion.

I discovered the feel for the ball when previously i would just chuck the ball up and hope for a result (i now know what a chucker is). But last night it was just the greatest feeling. I could just release my arms like a snake, just how kobe does it, sort of like your hand is the head and you want to try and peer into the hoop, all the while using your left hand as a subtle guide to your shot.

feelsgoodman.jpg
theaussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: Finally felt like i had a knockdown jumper last night

Yea it feels good when you have a sweet jumper... I have had one for years so I know how you feel

I know what you mean though. You have to do things that feel weird... as long as what you are doing is the correct way. I try to teach my friend moves and he messes them up so bad cus he just isn't used to making movements like that... but with practice he gets better and more comfortable with them. You should have seen him when I was trying to teach him the Eurostep, it was a disaster... but now he can do it just fine. I have yet to see him use it in a game... but that will come in time. Your shot will continue to develop and you will get that feeling over and over again. Just keep working.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 08-26-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
AJ2k8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaussieguy
So i first picked up a bball last year at the age of 20. I'd never played seriously before and the last time i attempted i would of been a 5 foot 3 kid. Over the last year i have fell in love with the game, and last night, for the first time since i started, i was actually extremely comfortable in my shot. I knew exacly what i needed to do to get that ball in. I knew that if i could elevate right, and release the ball right at the point of de acceleration, it would go in.I am 5 foot 10, not heavy but slightly musclular and athletic. I can touch a regulation rim and think my handles are right up there, even though im lacking basic fundamentals. However i have discovered the best thing you can do to improve your game is just by doing things that do not feel right. I mean so many people would neglect their left handed layup but its just one of those things that EVERYONE can get good at, but not everyone learns. So at this point of time im slowly adding to my arsenal.

Over the last few weeks i have watched a lot of Kobe videos, taken extreme notice of what he does with his hands/body when he shoots. Last night it all came together i could see it so clearly in my mind what kobe does to get that ball in. At first i wasn't comfortable letting my arm flow like a snake, but i started doing it at first even though it felt wierd. After 20 minutes though it felt like i knew exacly how kobe feels when hes knocking down jumper after jumper. I particulary paid attention to how Kevin Garnett and Kobe shoot. As they elevate their bodies rotate in a way so that their shooting arms are perfectly centred about their body. Even though they may be twisted, their legs keep the balance as the body goes through the motion.

I discovered the feel for the ball when previously i would just chuck the ball up and hope for a result (i now know what a chucker is). But last night it was just the greatest feeling. I could just release my arms like a snake, just how kobe does it, sort of like your hand is the head and you want to try and peer into the hoop, all the while using your left hand as a subtle guide to your shot.

feelsgoodman.jpg

Amen to that, i started working on my left hand a while back now and now my left hook is more consistent than my right hand. Even had a couple of games where my left hand outscored my right

Good to hear about your jumpshot mate i need to work on mine some time, really is some room for improvement. I know what you mean in your last paragraph though, i get that occasionally and nothing pisses me off more than losing that feel
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

A sweet knockdown pull-up jumper, IMO, is the most exhilirating (sp?) feeling you can have as a player. In high school I was about 6'5" by the time I was a senior but had always played SG or SF. the summer between my junior and senior year I spent countless hours doing different drills incorporating a pull up jumper from various angles from 15-18 feet out. I'd shoot anywhere from 500-1000 shots a day, and 30%-40% of those would be pull up mid-range jumpers. I knew once season started I would normally have a player 5-8 inches shorter than me guarding me. (On ocassion I'd be matched up with another guard in the 6'3"-6'5" range.) With us having two 6'6" bigs at PF and C, my opportunities to post up my smaller defender would be limited with them monopolizing the pivot.

Thus, I decided to develop a pull-up jumper. I mean, I was a kid in the MJ glory years, and for some reason, there was nothing more asthetically pleasing than seeing him get his shoulder past his man, stop on a dime, and elevate from 18 out and nail a pull-up jumper over his man. I was enamored with this aspect of his game from a young age.

My first game of my senior year I had a career night. I ended up playing and defending 4 different positions, but I was in a zone offensively. I started the game at SG defending a guy who was 5'9", who was also guarding me. In the first quarter I hit a couple of early threes, and then decided to try out my mid-range game. On one possession I had the ball at the top of the key, jabbed left, went right, pulled up from about 17 feet and nailed a the jumper. A couple of possesions later I had the ball on the wing. I got my man on my hip driving baseline, pulled up on a dime from about 15 feet out and knocked down another mid-range jumper. It felt great.

My line ended up being...

28 minutes, 27 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, 5/8 2P FG, 3/4 3P, 8/8 FT.

What I'm getting at, is I'm with the OP and Swaggin. When you have your jumper going, it feels great. I felt ungaurdable that game. Five years later, and my mid-range pull-up is still the staple to my game.
KG215 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

^^^ And I should pull up more than I do. It's a part of my game that I practice, but I never really do it in games. There have been games whether it be 1 on 1 or 3 on 3 where I have used it. I do use it coming off screens (and occasionally off of pump fakes) in 5 on 5, but rarely ever in an iso situation. It's definitely something I want to work on when I am able to get back on the court. It's such a deadly shot... you get your guy back on his heels, or you get past on his hip with your first step and boom... pull up, good.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
^^^ And I should pull up more than I do. It's a part of my game that I practice, but I never really do it in games. There have been games whether it be 1 on 1 or 3 on 3 where I have used it. I do use it coming off screens (and occasionally off of pump fakes) in 5 on 5, but rarely ever in an iso situation. It's definitely something I want to work on when I am able to get back on the court. It's such a deadly shot... you get your guy back on his heels, or you get past on his hip with your first step and boom... pull up, good.

True. The first time I really discovered my pull-up was in a JV game towards the end of my 10th grade year. I was still growing into my body (6'1" size 14 shoe at that time) so I wasn't that quick or explosive. We were playing a team who put a 5'9" guard on me. In the first quarter I remember jabbing right, sweeping left, taking two dribbles, and pulling up from about 17 out. I had struggled a little early on because I couldn't get all the way past my man and to the hole, and couldn't really post him up because our bigs were always there. On that pull-up I realized I had a 4 or 5 inch height advantage and all I needed to do was just slightly get past my man, get him on my hip, elevate and knock down the jumper. It was only a JV game, but I ended up with something like 32 points and I'd say 20 of them came on pull-up jumpers ranging from 13-19 feet out.

I didn't really start utilizing my pull-up until after my growth spurt ended up putting me around 6'5" and my coordination caught up with my body. The pull-up was the one thing that separated me from every other 6'3"+ player in our conference my senior year and there really wasn't an honest way to defend me. I was always a very good knockdown 3 point shooter, but adding the pull-up to my game really made scoring easier. Granted I didn't play in a conference loaded with future college players or anything, but it was the best conference in the second biggest classification in the state.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea I can only imagine how easy the game would be if I was 4+ inches taller than my defenders. Pulling up without worrying about contests is a nice luxury to have lol. You are right tho, when you have the height advantage, all you have to do is get that guy on your hip. Look at Kobe's game winner against Milwaukee. He is 3 inches taller than Bell... didn't even care if he got past him... he knew he was pulling up and all he had to do was get him moving sideways and he could elevate over him. When you are a little 5'11 guy like me... you need better space creating moves ha... When I get back, I'm going to really work on the B Roy cross... the one where he goes right and then puts it between his legs... that's a great space creator.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #8
KG215

Quote:
Yea I can only imagine how easy the game would be if I was 4+ inches taller than my defenders. Pulling up without worrying about contests is a nice luxury to have lol. You are right tho, when you have the height advantage, all you have to do is get that guy on your hip. Look at Kobe's game winner against Milwaukee. He is 3 inches taller than Bell... didn't even care if he got past him... he knew he was pulling up and all he had to do was get him moving sideways and he could elevate over him. When you are a little 5'11 guy like me... you need better space creating moves ha... When I get back, I'm going to really work on the B Roy cross... the one where he goes right and then puts it between his legs... that's a great space creator.

If only I had 1/4 the quickness of Kobe then I would've been playing D1 ball instead of an NAIA school. But yeah, I made a career off my pull-up jumper. Like I said, it's what separated me from all the other bigs in our conference, and without it, i would've been a 7th or 8th an in high school and never sniffed a schollie.

Now all I have is pick-up. My favorite move (I tend to play a lot of PG) is to get the ball about 30 feet out, dribbling with my right, and just give a slight hesitation (just enough to get my man slightly out of his stance, go between the legs, take two or three dribbles (by this point my man, at best, is on my hip) and pull-up from about 15-18 out. It's kind of similar to B-Roy's move, except about 100 times uglier and slower.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

I was talking about this move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_155kjVqd4&feature=fvst

See you wouldn't even have to do that because you are going to have the height advantage... but damn I've seen that move work so many times and it's real pretty pretty too

So you are saying you like pulling up going left? Or do you start out going left and then cross over back right? Pullups going to my left are uncomfortable for me... a stepback (Ala Paul Pierce) is way more natural to me. I don't know what it is either... it's like the only movement that is uncomfortable to me on the court. I think it's cus I feel like have a hard time getting squared up... I have never practiced it much either... which obviously has to change.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 09-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
KG215

Quote:
I was talking about this move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_155kjVqd4&feature=fvst

See you wouldn't even have to do that because you are going to have the height advantage... but damn I've seen that move work so many times and it's real pretty pretty too

So you are saying you like pulling up going left? Or do you start out going left and then cross over back right? Pullups going to my left are uncomfortable for me... a stepback (Ala Paul Pierce) is way more natural to me. I don't know what it is either... it's like the only movement that is uncomfortable to me on the court. I think it's cus I feel like have a hard time getting squared up... I have never practiced it much either... which obviously has to change.

Yeah, something real similar to that. B-Roy is one of my favorite players in the league. At my physical and athletic peak (I'm 23 but been out of competitive ball for 2 years) I'd say my game was very similar to his, but obviously nowhere nearly as good, effective, or efficient as he is. He gets a little bit more elevation on his pull-ups, but even in college where I played a lot of SG I had a 2-3 inch height advantage, so with my height and reach (6'5", 8'6" standing reach) I didn't have to have great elevation, fortunately. Almost anytime I'd get into the lane I'd stop and give a head fake and go with the up and under, or try and draw some sort of contact.

I'm more comfortable going right and then pulling-up, but over the years I worked so much going left as well and then pulling-up, that it wasn't that uncomfortable. However, since I'm right handed my defender usually shaded me left, so I'd either give a slight hesitation and then crossover from my right hand to my left, or just start in my left hand, hesitate enough to get one step on my defender, and then pull-up.

Another move I lived off of before I really developed a pull-up...Defender usually shaded me baseline when I had the ball on the wing, I'd get by man man (ad to be an iso situation), and when the big came over to help I'd do a 180 degree spin move back towards the middle, and shoot a little fader/stepback over the helping post man. Like I said, I wasn't blessed with great quickness or an ankle breaking first step, so I had to figure out ways to just get a step or two on my man and shoot a lot of off-balanced and/or tough shots.

Last edited by KG215 : 09-01-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
theaussieguy
Local High School Star

good posts guys you've encouraged me to go down to the court this minute lol. I havn't worked on a pull up jumper much at all but after watching a video of Ray Allen and how he improves his shot i will definitely keep a few things in mind.
theaussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Another move I lived off of before I really developed a pull-up...Defender usually shaded me baseline when I had the ball on the wing, I'd get by man man (ad to be an iso situation), and when the big came over to help I'd do a 180 degree spin move back towards the middle, and shoot a little fader/stepback over the helping post man. Like I said, I wasn't blessed with great quickness or an ankle breaking first step, so I had to figure out ways to just get a step or two on my man and shoot a lot of off-balanced and/or tough shots.

Yea seems like a pretty good move... I mean yea when you don't have great athletic ability, you have to get used to shooting unorthodox shots. The better you can shoot weird tear drops, fadeaways, etc... the more effective you are going to be as a less athletic player. You have adjust to yourself basically lol.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: