Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-27-2010, 02:45 AM   #16
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default Re: The proposed 18-game season: Bad idea, or Awful idea?

If you don't want to elaborate then go away. The "injuries are part of the game, so accept it" logic is tired. The violent nature of the sport does not take away the owners' responsibility to do whatever they can for player safety. And the idea that teams that can't deal with injury aren't good enough is stupid when in reality no team in the league is good enough to win the SB without their starting quarterback.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #17
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If you don't want to elaborate then go away.

I did elaborated or do you have trouble reading?

Quote:
The "injuries are part of the game, so accept it" logic is tired.

Tired? That's the ****ing game. Players get injured, you deal with them and move on. 4 preseason games + 16 regular season games = 20 games. 2 preseason games + 18 regular season games = 20 games. I can understand the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' line of thinking, but I'm with the 'they don't need 4 preseason games, so take 2 and turn them into regular season games' line of thinking.

Quote:
The violent nature of the sport does not take away the owners' responsibility to do whatever they can for player safety.

Then, why don't they just stop playing the sport altogether? Why don't they just play 2-hand touch? Why not give the QB a different colored jersey and then make a rule where nobody is allowed to hit him? The owners' responsibility? So everyone else is allowed to be as reckless as possible?

Quote:
And the idea that teams that can't deal with injury aren't good enough is stupid when in reality no team in the league is good enough to win the SB without their starting quarterback.

Yes, usually QB is the worst place to have an injury, but teams have won with shitty QBs and some have won with QBs who didn't play much during the regular season. If a team puts all their eggs in 1 basket, then it's their fault if they don't have a capable back up. Am I suppose to believe that teams are going to start falling apart just because they add 2 regular season games? It will be impossible for teams to adjust to the addition of 2 more games? They can't find a way to rest a player here and there and have their back up get more pt?

Why is having 4 preseason games and 16 reg. season games better than 2 preseason games and 18 reg. season games?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #18
clipse026
Local High School Star

You make a good argument for it. The big difference with the 2 extra preseason games instead of regular season games is that starters don't exactly play a ton in preseason. The injury risk is still there but they're not as exposed as much when everybody is working their way into football shape or the contact part that they haven't been doing all off season.

Also there are next to no backup qbs right now capable of leading a team to the Superbowl. I understand having depth but name me some backups that can lead a team like that? Peyton Manning goes down and Indy is finished. And that's a perennial great team. We've seen Minny without Farve, not so good. Arizona minus Warner is going to be terrible.Philly with Jeff Garcia is the only time I can even think of a team getting to the playoffs without a starter for a long period in recent years.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #19
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

I love it how no one is factoring in playoff games into this discussion..
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
I did elaborated or do you have trouble reading?
No, I read
Quote:
I'm not apologizing for not elaborating in this thread.
And I'm starting to see why you chose that username...

Quote:
Tired? That's the ****ing game. Players get injured, you deal with them and move on. 4 preseason games + 16 regular season games = 20 games. 2 preseason games + 18 regular season games = 20 games. I can understand the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' line of thinking, but I'm with the 'they don't need 4 preseason games, so take 2 and turn them into regular season games' line of thinking.
The argument is tired and stupid as well. If people just accepted problems because they've always been there we'd never make any progress. Football is a dangerous sport, and exposing the players to even more danger for no reason beyond making a few more dollars at the cost of losing more players doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you convert those 2 preseason games you are forcing starters and stars to play more as we all know that important players don't play much in preseason games.

Quote:
Then, why don't they just stop playing the sport altogether? Why don't they just play 2-hand touch? Why not give the QB a different colored jersey and then make a rule where nobody is allowed to hit him? The owners' responsibility? So everyone else is allowed to be as reckless as possible?
You're going off the deep end with it. All I'm saying is that they've already got enough injuries, enough stars missing the postseason. No need to make it worse.
Quote:
Yes, usually QB is the worst place to have an injury, but teams have won with shitty QBs and some have won with QBs who didn't play much during the regular season. If a team puts all their eggs in 1 basket, then it's their fault if they don't have a capable back up. Am I suppose to believe that teams are going to start falling apart just because they add 2 regular season games? It will be impossible for teams to adjust to the addition of 2 more games? They can't find a way to rest a player here and there and have their back up get more pt?
This is just stupid. How are the Colts supposed to get their hands on a back-up that could adequately replace Manning? Saints with Brees? Aaron Rodgers over in GB? And we could go on. There is a limited number of guys out there that can play QB, or are good cover corners, DLs that must be double-teamed, etc. and with the salary cap it's impossible to have a back-up that can come close to matching the starter at most positions. I's quite possible in any given season that there aren't even 30 guys capable of playing QB well, but you think teams are supposed to have two when if the starter is good they're already paying him 10+ mil per season?

Tack on those two games and we will have more injuries, and thus the quality of the teams we see in the postseason is going to go down.

Quote:
Why is having 4 preseason games and 16 reg. season games better than 2 preseason games and 18 reg. season games?
Already answered this question. Again: You are forcing starters to play more. Everyone knows you play your key guys far less in the preseason. Most teams don't play stars at all in the final game of the preseason.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I think its an awful idea because the set up now is perfect. The preseason is long enough so that starters get to tune things up and players trying to make the team/become contributors get to show their stuff.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
And I'm starting to see why you chose that username...

I just took what you said and flipped it back on you.

Quote:
Football is a dangerous sport, and exposing the players to even more danger for no reason beyond making a few more dollars at the cost of losing more players doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you convert those 2 preseason games you are forcing starters and stars to play more as we all know that important players don't play much in preseason games.

Starters usually play 2-3 quarters in the 2nd and 3rd preseason games. Tom Brady played into the 4th quarter in their last game. You're saying it's fine if starters play 2-3 and sometimes 4 quarters in meaningless preseason games, but they can't play 3 and half quarters in those 2 extra games that would actually mean something? Also, some teams will have a playoff birth locked up with a couple games to go, so they'll have plenty of opportunity to rest starters late in the season.

Quote:
You're going off the deep end with it. All I'm saying is that they've already got enough injuries, enough stars missing the postseason. No need to make it worse.

Who are all the stars that missed the postseason?

Quote:
This is just stupid. How are the Colts supposed to get their hands on a back-up that could adequately replace Manning? Saints with Brees? Aaron Rodgers over in GB? And we could go on.

Quote:
I's quite possible in any given season that there aren't even 30 guys capable of playing QB well, but you think teams are supposed to have two when if the starter is good they're already paying him 10+ mil per season?

Maybe they'll put a bit more emphasis on their back ups or just trade for one if something comes up. You don't need a great QB as a back up. A couple years ago, Campbell went down and Todd Collins stepped in and led the Redskins to the playoffs. Collins has played rather sparingly throughout his career, but proved capable of leading the Skins to the playoffs. They had to go through the Giants, who ended up winning the SB, the Vikings, who were ahead of them in the playoff race, and the Cowboys, who ended the season at 13-3. The Ravens won the SB with Dilfer, the Panthers nearly won the SB with Delhomme, and the Bears nearly won the SB with Grossman. Are you telling me it's that hard to find a QB as shitty as Dilfer, Delhomme or Grossman? Todd Collins has led a team to the playoffs, but you want me to shed a tear if a team like the Colts can't get their hands on a Collins-level QB?

Quote:
Tack on those two games and we will have more injuries, and thus the quality of the teams we see in the postseason is going to go down.

Where is evidence that this will become a big problem or that teams will find it impossible to adjust?

Quote:
You are forcing starters to play more.

That's a good thing in my book. I'd rather see a player get injured during a season where they play 18 meaningful games with just 2 meaningless games as opposed to 16 meaningful games with 4 meaningless games.

Quote:
Most teams don't play stars at all in the final game of the preseason.

And, that shows how meaningless that game is.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: