Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation
Default Will the Jets live up to all the over the top hype?

Just because a team goes deep into the postseason, then adds a few more players, that doesn't automatically indicate they will be go even further the next season. This seems to be the primary reason why the Jets are getting so much hype, yet people are not looking beyond the surface.

Fact is they were an above average team with an great defense. They still have so serious problems moving the ball downfield and the patchwork job new players brought won't make a difference overall. Taylor is too old, Cromartie hasn't been effective since 2007 and he's a gambler anyway. LT obviously lost a step and won't make up for the losses of Washington and Jones. Not to mention they don't have a proven replacement for Faneca.

I don't see them making this big leap to elite status as people are making them out to be. They'll win a quite a few moderate scoring games from defense alone, but they'll lose their fair share too because they're gonna have a hard time scoring.

I got them finishing 10-6 at best.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #2
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board
Default Re: Will the Jets live up to all the over the top hype?

I'm with you. I've taken some heat on this message board for not buying into the Jets hype. I don't even think they'll make the playoffs. It wouldnt surprise me if they finish 3rd in their own division.

I'm not a Sanchez believer. Losing Thomas Jones is bigger than people realize. And if they can't get Revis on the team? They definitely are not making the playoffs. Cromartie isn't the same beast he was a few years ago. Kyle Wilson is nice, but he is a rookie, and CB is one of the harder positions for rookies to get accustomed to.

And with all the trash talk and guarantees Rex Ryan is making all the time, its just gonna make life more difficult for the J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets.

By the way, they'll start the season 0-2, at least, and the key is how they will handle that. They start with Baltimore and New England.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
Lebron Bryant
Go Patriots!

Lebron Bryant has not been impressing people

No they won't.
Lebron Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Deadpool
Great young streetballer

Deadpool is considered somewhat coolDeadpool is considered somewhat cool

I agree with everyone else here. This is a wild card team at best.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
craigthomasb
College star

craigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation herecraigthomasb has an incredible reputation here

It all comes down to the QB, if sanchez is good enough then they will get to the conference final IMO, if not then they will be average, from what ive seen of sanchez, he wont put up stats like rivers, brady, manning, brees etc. but he has the mentality to lead the team (maybe a bit like rothlisberger) and i think, if he stays healthy, they can be very very good, look at their offense, its ready, and defense is solid, revis will sign before the season
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

They added Kris Jenkins, Cromartie, Tomlinson, McKnight, Wilson, and Holmes to a team that made a push for the superbowl.

Recap:

They added an impact DT, a legit 2nd corner, a legit backup running back, an explosive runner in McKnight, a legit nickle corner in Wilson...a former superbowl MVP who is in a contract year at wide reciever.... that's a lot.

They lost Thomas and Rhodes (who got benched last year because he played poorly) and Faneca. That's it.

If the hyper suggests they are the favorite to win the superbowl, then that's a bit much.... but if it's a legit superbowl contender.... that's fair.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'll answer this question when we find out if Revis is playing...

yeah they got a nice D without him...but not SB nice...

what Revis did last year was unreal...it makes everyone else's job on that D MUUUUCH easier...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

HisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation here

Even with Revis they're still probably only the fourth best team in the AFC.
HisJoeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
They added Kris Jenkins, Cromartie, Tomlinson, McKnight, Wilson, and Holmes to a team that made a push for the superbowl.

Recap:

They added an impact DT, a legit 2nd corner, a legit backup running back, an explosive runner in McKnight, a legit nickle corner in Wilson...a former superbowl MVP who is in a contract year at wide reciever.... that's a lot.

They lost Thomas and Rhodes (who got benched last year because he played poorly) and Faneca. That's it.

If the hyper suggests they are the favorite to win the superbowl, then that's a bit much.... but if it's a legit superbowl contender.... that's fair.

Kris Jenkins was already there fyi...

Anyway I'm more of a Jets believer then most of the people here, but I will acknowledge that they're not a team that should be mentioned in contending for the super bowl because they're simply not that good.

Signing Revis will be crucial to the strength of that defense, although, There are a lot of lesser known players on that defense with wicked talent though. Look at David Harris for example..127 tlks, 5.5 sacks last season. Talk about a quiet achiever.

Losing Thomas Jones won't mean that much because his success in past seasons was due to the stellar O-Line of the Jets that he was playing behind. He really wasn't capable of breaking for huge chunks of yardage the way that Shonn Greene can.
Tomilson might suprise a few people as well..nothing major, but a solid backup at RB IMO. I think they're a 10-6 team with Revis, without..maybe only 8-8. Thats how valuable the dude is to that defense..

Last edited by takeittothehoop : 08-24-2010 at 07:54 AM.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Expectations are sky high. Not sure what that schedule looks like off hand. Hard to say if they will live up to the hype. Much depends on Revis returning and most importantly Matt Sanchez progressing. I understand NYJ pound the ball like no other but he still has to play the position well and they also have weapons I cant see them neglecting. So if they pass more Mark is gonna have to deliver.

Sidenote: His personality on that HBO Hard Knock series irks me. Cornball. Also I forgot NYJ got Kyle Wilson a CB. Damn if Cromartie can step his game up thats a crazy CB collection of talent.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:05 AM   #11
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Expectations are sky high. Not sure what that schedule looks like off hand.

Baltimore
Pats
@Dolphins
@Bills
Minnesota
@Denver
BYE
Green Bay
@Lions
@Cleveland
Texans
Bengals
@Pats
Dolphins
@Steelers
@Bears
Bills

easily 10-6
probably 11-5

I guess it all depends on the QB.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #12
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Kris Jenkins was injured for their stretch run including the playoffs, so no.... he wasn't apart of that specific team and should be viewed as being an addition.

If the Jets had one weakness on defense in their run last year it was straight up the middle. He solves that if he's healthy and playing.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Quote:
Sidenote: His personality on that HBO Hard Knock series irks me. Cornball.

He comes across as a pampered brat, just like Leinart. Remember the scene where the QB coach (Schottenheimer) was giving him some tips? Mark was just sitting there looking down and fiddling with his bookbag as if the coaches were on HIS clock.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: