Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 08-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Default 'Melo Deal officially DEAD

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski reports that the Nuggets have decided to deal Carmelo Anthony and that the Nets and the Clippers "have emerged as the two most probable destinations for Anthony because they have assets that appeal to Denver"--young players and draft picks.

Woj doesn't detail who or what Denver would want for 'Melo but the Nets have 10 players under the age of 27 and 10 draft picks over the next three years. Beyond the two coastal teams, which appeal to Anthony's wife, LaLa Vasquez, Woj thinks three others could make a play: the Rockets, Warriors and possibly the Bobcats.

Woj says Anthony told new Nuggets owner, 30-year-old Josh Kroenke, last weekend that he wanted out.

The meeting grew testy, he writes, and there's now little if any hope Anthony will stay in Denver. "Sources insist itís no longer a matter of if the Nuggets trade Anthony, but when, where and for whom heís traded for."
http://www.netsdaily.com/

Hmm. Tied with the Clippers... What exaclty are the Nuggets looking for is the question. If I was Melo I would play in the weaker East because going to the Clippers wont help him win anytime soon. Sterling is not a good attraction imo.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
BALLin01
Local High School Star

Default Re: Nets are in the Lead for Carmelo Anthony?

Would love to see Melo in a Nets uniform
BALLin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

If we get Melo, this below average summer suddenly becomes decent. Though I dont think its gonna happen.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #4
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I don't trust Wojo at all.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #5
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I don't trust Wojo at all.
Unfortunately neither do I... Nothing new going on though so... Seems interesting.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Blu
I brick open layups

If we in fact are leading contenders for Melo, the Nets better not deal Favors or Lopez. Those 2 should be untouchable. If they are looking for young talent, deal Travis Outlaw + devin harris + fillers for Melo.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I don't think Harris, Outlaw does anything for them. They can do better than that for Melo.

I'd put my money on Terrence, Favors and 3 draft picks for Melo. I'd hate losing Favors, but Melo is a sure shot at putting us as a top team in the east.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Blu
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
I don't think Harris, Outlaw does anything for them. They can do better than that for Melo.

I'd put my money on Terrence, Favors and 3 draft picks for Melo. I'd hate losing Favors, but Melo is a sure shot at putting us as a top team in the east.

Then I wouldn't do it. I know that sounds crazy but if Carmelo has that Wes guy, then there will be a tremendous amount of baggage that comes with Melo. What happens in 3 years when Melo wants out after his current extension (if he even gets it)? If Favors is in the package, I'd back out. I would be willing to do a T-Will, harris, outlaw, 2 1st round picks though. But in my eyes, Favors is untouchable because his potential is very very high. And lets get real, finding stud big men is very hard in today's NBA.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu
Then I wouldn't do it. I know that sounds crazy but if Carmelo has that Wes guy, then there will be a tremendous amount of baggage that comes with Melo. What happens in 3 years when Melo wants out after his current extension (if he even gets it)? If Favors is in the package, I'd back out. I would be willing to do a T-Will, harris, outlaw, 2 1st round picks though. But in my eyes, Favors is untouchable because his potential is very very high. And lets get real, finding stud big men is very hard in today's NBA.
Favors is no guarantee to be great. He has shown no signs of being the next dwight howard so I would give him up in a heart beat for a proven top 5 wing player. I mean favors could be a good player but there's no telling right now. Why not give up the prospect for a sure thing? Besides we already have a top 5 center/stud big man in lopez.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Favors is no guarantee to be great. He has shown no signs of being the next dwight howard so I would give him up in a heart beat for a proven top 5 wing player. I mean favors could be a good player but there's no telling right now. Why not give up the prospect for a sure thing? Besides we already have a top 5 center/stud big man in lopez.
IDK about that... whou would we start at PF? Kris Humphries? Sean May? Troy needs to be included for salaries unless they deal Harris(Doubt Nuggets want him).
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Moving Favors for Melo is a no-brainer. Three draft picks will be too much. Two and Favors, T-Will plus matching saleries should make it happen. A trio of Lopez-Melo-Harris could do damage. A hustling/defending 4s are still available.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
gigantes
A piece of fluff

if i were GM, i'd give up very, very little for carmelo... for two specific reasons:

first, is that the nets are in the driver's seat on this one. they're already one of his two top destinations, plus teams being dictated a trade by their stars --always, always-- have to settle for well below their true value.

now personally, i dislike that fact very much, but as a nets fan, i say that we need to rape the nuggets as much as possible on this one. >)

second is that, despite carmelo's -immense- offensive talent, he's always been a flaky, immature ball-hog. in other words, the type of player who puts stats on the board and fannies in the seats, but who rarely wins championships. and now, on top of that, we know that carmelo has zero loyalty towards any team that he plays for. and, i mean, yes, that's become the reality for today's sports stars, but even so, there are still some stars that want to win more than they want to make money. jordan in bball and dawson in baseball took paycuts in order for their team to sign the best players around them, for crying out loud.

so... trading harris? no problem. trading a #1 pick and a couple #2's? sure! trading favors? okay, if it's absolutely positively necessary to win the bidding war.

but trading more than that? are you insane?

i mean, trading two #1 picks? absolutely insane IMO. because the nets should have top lottery picks for the next couple years.

and trading t-will or lopez? absolutely insane. lopez (as a highly desirable center commodity) is almost worth the same as carmelo already, and as we know, we're in the driver's seat on this one.

and re: t-will,
his physical gifts and determination are so high (IMO) that he has the potential to be even -better- than carmelo when all is said and whined about. to be more specific- when t-will went into the doghouse last season and found a way to emerge from it with an even stronger attitude, i thought that right there, he did more than what 99% of other top picks would have done. in other words, his competitive instinct (helped by maybe his family and advisors) moved him past the pouting phase and back to tearing up the court, all within the space of his rookie season. and that is truly, truly rare IME.

so, to be blunt- you guys who are dangling t-will and more than one #1 pick for anthony, i just don't get what planet you're from at this point.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
if i were GM, i'd give up very, very little for carmelo... for two specific reasons:

first, is that the nets are in the driver's seat on this one. they're already one of his two top destinations, plus teams being dictated a trade by their stars --always, always-- have to settle for well below their true value.

now personally, i dislike that fact very much, but as a nets fan, i say that we need to rape the nuggets as much as possible on this one. >)

second is that, despite carmelo's -immense- offensive talent, he's always been a flaky, immature ball-hog. in other words, the type of player who puts stats on the board and fannies in the seats, but who rarely wins championships. and now, on top of that, we know that carmelo has zero loyalty towards any team that he plays for. and, i mean, yes, that's become the reality for today's sports stars, but even so, there are still some stars that want to win more than they want to make money. jordan in bball and dawson in baseball took paycuts in order for their team to sign the best players around them, for crying out loud.

so... trading harris? no problem. trading a #1 pick and a couple #2's? sure! trading favors? okay, if it's absolutely positively necessary to win the bidding war.

but trading more than that? are you insane?

i mean, trading two #1 picks? absolutely insane IMO. because the nets should have top lottery picks for the next couple years.

and trading t-will or lopez? absolutely insane. lopez (as a highly desirable center commodity) is almost worth the same as carmelo already, and as we know, we're in the driver's seat on this one.

and re: t-will,
his physical gifts and determination are so high (IMO) that he has the potential to be even -better- than carmelo when all is said and whined about. to be more specific- when t-will went into the doghouse last season and found a way to emerge from it with an even stronger attitude, i thought that right there, he did more than what 99% of other top picks would have done. in other words, his competitive instinct (helped by maybe his family and advisors) moved him past the pouting phase and back to tearing up the court, all within the space of his rookie season. and that is truly, truly rare IME.

so, to be blunt- you guys who are dangling t-will and more than one #1 pick for anthony, i just don't get what planet you're from at this point.

Great post, agreed. I really think its a good idea to stick with T-Will rather then go for Melo. Of course, if we can get Melo while somehow keeping T-Will, then I would definitely pull that trigger, though I dont that is possible.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:52 AM   #14
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
IDK about that... whou would we start at PF? Kris Humphries? Sean May? Troy needs to be included for salaries unless they deal Harris(Doubt Nuggets want him).
We don't even have a reliable wing player right now. I personally think favors will be an emeka okafor type player and so I would give him up for melo in a heart beat.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #15
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Moving Favors for Melo is a no-brainer. Three draft picks will be too much. Two and Favors, T-Will plus matching saleries should make it happen. A trio of Lopez-Melo-Harris could do damage. A hustling/defending 4s are still available.
Who do you have in mind?
Players like Gooden, Haslem, and Verajao would be nice. Not sure how to get them though... The Outlaw signing looks worse everyday.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: