Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Blu
I brick open layups

Blu has decent reputationBlu has decent reputation
Default Re: Nets are in the Lead for Carmelo Anthony?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Favors is no guarantee to be great. He has shown no signs of being the next dwight howard so I would give him up in a heart beat for a proven top 5 wing player. I mean favors could be a good player but there's no telling right now. Why not give up the prospect for a sure thing? Besides we already have a top 5 center/stud big man in lopez.

No NBA player is a guarantee to be great; especially since the only thing that has been played on the NBA level so far has been summer league. D-Rose played like garbage in his summer league. Other very talented players didn't do too hot in summer league. He has to learn the ropes and he has to get up to speed. He is only 18 years old? His body is already big to the point where he can start with limited minutes. You can't make a judgment on this guy with very limited summer league play. The kid has a work ethic that most guys his age don't. If we give up Favors for Melo, and Melo walks, what are we left with? Favors should be untouchable.

Edit: And as Gigantes stated before, Melo is a STAT padder. He was getting criticized as a possible bust because of his immaturity and inability to get his team in the post season until Billups arrived. People are so quick to forget that the little things are the reason some of these athletes get their hypes up. Without Billups, Carmelo wouldn't be in the same sentence as the current Melo. So what happens when he doesn't have Billups around? Melo is not a guaranteed product.

Last edited by Blu : 08-29-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu
Melo is a STAT padder. He was getting criticized as a possible bust because of his immaturity and inability to get his team in the post season until Billups arrived. People are so quick to forget that the little things are the reason some of these athletes get their hypes up. Without Billups, Carmelo wouldn't be in the same sentence as the current Melo. So what happens when he doesn't have Billups around? Melo is not a guaranteed product.
i didn't want to bring billups up, but now that you have, blu, i'm glad of it.

i mean, 'melo is a special, special player IMO, and by no means did i mean to undervalue him. but trades have their own special logic and circumstances, and we need to fully take advantage of that IMO.

but beyond that, i would like to chime in with you that billups is almost as much of a special player as melo is... only that he's older, and NBA fans don't take him as seriously as they should. nor fully give him credit for how much he makes an offense flow like magic.

IMO chauncy billups for a long time has been a PG wizard of enormous potency... only a small step below the absolute greats, such as kidd, nash and magic. (and possibly d-will, if d-will ever plays in a system which takes full advantage of him)

because just as a-stoudemire is about to find out this season, taking a wizardly PG for granted in order to stoke your own ego and greed can be a very painful mistake. but more to the point for us nets fans, can also create a number of headaches for the receiving team. as in, the one which thought that they were receiving a certain level production pre-trade, only to receive a far more disappointing level of production, post-trade.

it's times like these that i worry whether prokhy has a smart, experienced, disciplined man in charge...

paying too much for melo would be a terrible waste of many of the hard-earned assets that we have built up over the past couple years, IMO. the same assets that we slowly and painfully stockpiled while we paid the price of being loyal to a very bad and frequently unwatchable NBA team during that time.

you know?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:18 AM   #18
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu
No NBA player is a guarantee to be great; especially since the only thing that has been played on the NBA level so far has been summer league. D-Rose played like garbage in his summer league. Other very talented players didn't do too hot in summer league. He has to learn the ropes and he has to get up to speed. He is only 18 years old? His body is already big to the point where he can start with limited minutes. You can't make a judgment on this guy with very limited summer league play. The kid has a work ethic that most guys his age don't. If we give up Favors for Melo, and Melo walks, what are we left with? Favors should be untouchable.

Edit: And as Gigantes stated before, Melo is a STAT padder. He was getting criticized as a possible bust because of his immaturity and inability to get his team in the post season until Billups arrived. People are so quick to forget that the little things are the reason some of these athletes get their hypes up. Without Billups, Carmelo wouldn't be in the same sentence as the current Melo. So what happens when he doesn't have Billups around? Melo is not a guaranteed product.
Exactly my point. You cant say anything of him yet. Melo, however has a lot to be said for right now. Would give him up in a heart beat.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Nets are only in the lead if willing to give lopez + harris- favors is your own bad pick and you can't use a mistake to get a new franchise player
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #20
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gringos
Nets are only in the lead if willing to give lopez + harris- favors is your own bad pick and you can't use a mistake to get a new franchise player
what? I was close to deleting this post. Lopez+ Harris for a 1 year Carmelo Anthony... I dont see that happening at all. What a joke. Favors was a bad pick? How the hell would you know? I trust the Nets scouting more than someone like you.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #21
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
what? I was close to deleting this post. Lopez+ Harris for a 1 year Carmelo Anthony... I dont see that happening at all. What a joke. Favors was a bad pick? How the hell would you know? I trust the Nets scouting more than someone like you.
---
first off why wouldn't carmelo sign the extension to get traded if that is what he really wants (he is staying in denver anyway)
-----
Pretend that you can get superstars for packages not involving your best players if you want but if you want to look at reality it would take lopez + harris + maybe more to get carmelo
------
I'm not saying favors has no chance to be a good player, but in no way should you expect top 3 pick production
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #22
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Ignore him NF93. He's the same guy who said we should've taken Avery Bradley top 3.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #23
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

here's the reason why Favors is untouchable: we haven't seen what he can really do yet in the regular season. There's no way i give him up for melo right now so that in 3 years he becomes the best PF in the league...The smart thing to do here is to wait until the trade deadline in february so that we have a better take on the situation. Front office can at least see how well the talent we have meshes, see what everyone can do, and then make a decision. The reason why favors is projected to be a star is because he has all of the tools. He is the prototype of an nba all star PF. IMO, FAVORS, LOPEZ, and TWILL should not be traded. LOPEZ will be an allstar soon, Favors could be that possible next superstar that we are looking for from within (Kevin Durant) and TWill could have a break out year this year. Lets see what happens.

I would only give denver a first rounder, cash, and fillers for melo. Thats it because when free agency comes next summer, melo is walking and the nuggets will be left with nothing. Also lets consider the fact that someone touched on here earlier that he could sign a 3 yr extension or so and then LEBRON us for the Knicks, and then what? we are left wishing we didnt give up FAVORS who is suppose to be the future.

Last edited by JerzeyBlaze : 08-31-2010 at 12:45 PM.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #24
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The Nuggets brain trust wants you to know that 1) they are unwilling to say their relationship with Carmelo Anthony is at the end and 2) their relationship with his agent is not as has been reported.

Masai Ujiri, the Nuggets new GM, told the media Tuesday that he intends on meeting with the team's star forward soon and remains hopeful. "I'll wait and talk to Melo and see what he has to say. I think so far things have been positive. There's been a lot of speculation, but hey, that's how it works in our business."

Josh Kroenke, the Nuggets new 30-year-old owner, claims reports of a rift between Nugget ownership and Anthony's agent are wrong. "Anything that has been said is either someone trying to manipulate the situation behind the scenes, or other motives that are unknown at this point, but Melo and his representation have been great to us."

Meanwhile, MSG's college hoops analyst Jon Rothstein claims in a tweet that the Nets "look like favorites now but are fighting including lopez...Harris, Favors, and picks are package." He quotes no sources.
http://www.netsdaily.com/
Our starting PG and potential starting PF for a 1 year Melo?
What do you guys think? If we got him could we convince him to get a contract extension?
I don't want to get "Lebron'd"
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
JerzeyBlaze
BBall gets u cut

JerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat coolJerzeyBlaze is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
http://www.netsdaily.com/
Our starting PG and potential starting PF for a 1 year Melo?
What do you guys think? If we got him could we convince him to get a contract extension?
I don't want to get "Lebron'd"

heres what i think: Lopez and Favors should be untouchable. Favors (in addition to my previous post on him) only because we have to see what we have in him. We don't know yet until we see him play in a regular season game.

Everyone else is fair game. I really would not want to get rid of Harris only because we need a starting PG. If I were to deal Harris then Ty Lawson or even Billups would have to be involved in the trade. I wouldnt want to get rid of TWILL but I would do it for melo. An ideal trade would be HARRIS, Humprhries, picks, cash, Damion James or Twill for MELO and Ty Lawson. Thats if I had to do a trade. But lets not forget that the nets have the power not the nuggets we dont have to do anything right now.

I also dont want a guy who doesn't want to play for the organization. NO BS like playing for a year or 2 and then going to another team. i think right now we have a team of guys who want to be here in jersey/NY and that want to win. I like our group and we should see what they can do.

Last edited by JerzeyBlaze : 08-31-2010 at 06:21 PM.
JerzeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
heres what i think: Lopez and Favors should be untouchable. Favors (in addition to my previous post on him) only because we have to see what we have in him. We don't know yet until we see him play in a regular season game.

Everyone else is fair game. I really would not want to get rid of Harris only because we need a starting PG. If I were to deal Harris then Ty Lawson or even Billups would have to be involved in the trade. I wouldnt want to get rid of TWILL but I would do it for melo. An ideal trade would be HARRIS, Humprhries, picks, cash, Damion James or Twill for MELO and Ty Lawson. Thats if I had to do a trade. But lets not forget that the nets have the power not the nuggets we dont have to do anything right now.

I also dont want a guy who doesn't want to play for the organization. NO BS like playing for a year or 2 and then going to another team. i think right now we have a team of guys who want to be here in jersey/NY and that want to win. I like our group and we should see what they can do.
There is one PG I would love which makes me not mind if Harris is added.
Delonte West! He is a FA and could be a nice servicable PG. Legal issues aside I think his D and shooting would be nice. I also think you are underrating a top 10 player. Especially if you add Lawson

West-Williams-Melo-Murphy-Lopez
Farmar-Morrow-James-Humphries-Petro
Uzoh-Ross-May-Zoubek

Not bad.

Last edited by Nets fan 93 : 08-31-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #27
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Quote:
It could be only a matter of time before the Nets' pitchmen pile onto Mikhail Prokhorov's Gulfstream again, bound for some small room armed only with a Powerpoint presentation and enthusiasm. As Marc Stein reports, should he Nets and Nuggets agree to a deal, the Nets will then have to convince Carmelo Anthony to sign an extension.

How'd they do last time they tried it? Obviously, they didn't come away with the prize, but Brian Windhorst of ESPN ( formerly of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer) reports they certainly impressed more than the Knicks did back in July.

Windhorst writes the Knicks weren't even in LeBron James' top three, being stuck at the back of the line with the Clippers. That would mean the Nets were up there with the Heat and Cavaliers and the big reason was the Nets' presentation and how it --and the Nets pitchmen-- blew away their New York rivals
http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/12/18/...ss-a-superstar

Though we did not sign LeBron, we definitely had him thinking. He was impressed and I think we can definitely impress Melo. They probably have some of the powerpoint done now just in case.
Lets get him!!
Old 12-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
D12"Magic"
College superstar

D12"Magic" has a near all-star reputation hereD12"Magic" has a near all-star reputation hereD12"Magic" has a near all-star reputation hereD12"Magic" has a near all-star reputation hereD12"Magic" has a near all-star reputation hereD12"Magic" has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: The Carmelo Anthony Thread

I wouldnt risk it. Man this is 50/50 chance Favors breaks out in 3 years tops.
D12"Magic" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #29
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

'Melo: "Wherever I go, I'm going to sign the extension"
Quote:
Al Harrington has said he couldn't sleep if, like his teammate Carmelo Anthony, he had a $65 million contract extension "sitting on the table". Apparently, Melo feels the same way. Amid speculation that he would wait out the season, give up the extension and sign with the Knicks, the Nugget All-Star was asked Saturday about the extension and the Nets.

Was there a scenario where would sign the extension to play for the Nets? he was asked.

"Wherever I go, I'm going to sign the extension," he replied.

But then he was asked, "If they come to you and say, 'We have a deal to send you to the Nets,' would you sign?"

"I don't know," Anthony said. "I don't know. I'd have to deal with that when it comes."

As has been reported, the likely scenario would be for the Nets and Nuggets to agree to a deal, then the Nuggets would grant the Nets permission to talk with Anthony about an extension. Meanwhile, Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post looks at what 'Melo does best: win games.
http://www.netsdaily.com/2010/12/19/...sign-extension
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #30
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

> 'Melo: "Wherever I go, I'm going to sign the extension"

which is why you'll always go down as a major hit in NY, NY city. because, if you can be a dumbass there, you can be a dumbass everywhere... NEW YORK, NEW YORK!
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: