Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 11-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #1
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

jrt1584 has an OK reputation so far
Default Great KG article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...t&lid=tab5pos1

Kevin Garnett should have flipped out by now. And I'm not talking about a simple tantrum. Why isn't he acting more disruptively than the schoolkids in "The Wire?" He should arrive for home games wearing a sweatshirt that reads I HATE IT HERE. He should give Dwane Casey the nickname Expletive Deleted. He should call Marko Jaric, Ricky Davis and Mark Blount Loser No. 1, Loser No. 2 and Loser No. 3 and refer to Kevin McHale only as the Guy Who Ruined My Life. He should be looking to get whistled for a "flagrant nine" foul and lying on scorers' tables on the road praying for a drunken spectator to lob a beer at him so he can break out his best Artest moves. He should hire Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell impersonators to go with him everywhere, just so he can tell anyone who asks that he wants a reminder of the one season when he didn't want to kill somebody.

All right, that last idea is a little ridiculous -- no one on the planet could begin to resemble either Cassell or Spree -- but you get the picture. KG's basketball career has become a borderline American tragedy. Here's one of the greatest big men ever, one of the fiercest competitors in any sport, someone who could finish his career with historic scoring and rebounding numbers ... and yet we have absolutely no clue how good he really is. He's played with, by my count, only six quality players in his 12 seasons: Joe Smith, Stephon Marbury, Terrell Brandon, Cassell, Sprewell and Wally Szczerbiak. His only "decent" coach was Flip Saunders, who is currently running the Pistons into the ground. The guy making the player moves has always been the memorably incompetent McHale, and KG's only owner, Glen Taylor, famously squandered four first-rounders by illegally negotiating Smith's ill-conceived, cap-violating contract.

How badly has this team been mismanaged? It hasn't drafted a quality starter in seven seasons. It essentially traded Cassell for Jaric and threw in a first-round pick. It has surrounded KG with career losers and bad-attitude guys like Davis, Blount, Troy Hudson and Eddie Griffin. If there's a master plan, it seems to be: "Let's kill our cap space, squander as many picks as possible and see if KG snaps." If you remove Mark Madsen from the current roster, KG has more career playoff minutes than everyone else combined.

He isn't a young dude anymore, either. Do you realize he's 30? That this is his 12th season? That he has played more than 900 NBA games (including playoffs)? KG might be 30, but if NBA years were like dog years, he'd be, well, pretty damn old.

It's impossible not to feel sorry for him. Always one of the most intense players in the league, Garnett's emotion has morphed into something much more grim, as if he's fighting the urge to pull a Kermit Washington on someone, anyone. Seeing him in person, you can practically hear the clock ticking, like he's an aging single woman with rumbling ovaries. You can see the desperation on his face, the frustration, and almost hear the anguished inner monologue: "My career is wasting away." He's the most tragic figure in the league, a superstar buried on a perpetually impotent team, a loyal player who can't stand losing but is stuck with selfish guys and keeps finding himself walking off in defeat. His saga is the saddest subplot of the 2006-07 season.

And few fans seem to give a crap.

Well, I give a crap. To be fair, though, I don't care as much about KG as I do about his place in history. I want to know how good he is. Don't we need an answer? After old friend Paul Shirley was released by the Timberwolves before the start of the season, he sent me a gushing e-mail about KG's everyday brilliance that said if KG had played on a contender his entire career, "people would speak of him as a candidate for best player ever." Will that end up being KG's legacy: the coulda-shoulda-woulda star who ended up the Ernie Banks or Barry Sanders of basketball?

I can't help thinking that in one sense he deserves some of the blame. Yes, he's one of the best power forwards ever. I rank him fourth, behind Tim Duncan, Charles Barkley and Karl Malone, and just ahead of McHale and D.C. from Fast Break. And we know he can produce in the clutch from that monster 2004 MVP season that culminated in a sublime 32-point, 21-rebound Game 7 against the Kings. We can also agree, his career would have been different if he had somehow switched places with Duncan.

But maybe KG is too passionate for his own good. By all accounts, he's so wound up before games, it affects everyone around him; he wouldn't even allow anyone to listen to music in the locker room before Cassell arrived. He's not above punching teammates in practices. And he's famous for yelping ferociously after big plays, clenching his fists and screaming toward the ceiling like a WWE wrestler. He's never learned to adapt his game to the situation; he plays the same in a mid-November blowout and a deciding playoff game, which explains why he seemed spent during the 2004 conference finals against the Lakers. That was his longest season by far -- seven months and exactly 100 games -- and in classic KG fashion, he averaged 24-14-5 in the regular season and an almost identical 24-15-5 in the playoffs. Superstars like Duncan know when to dominate and when to keep something in reserve for big moments. KG plays only in fifth gear. Of course, that nonstop fervor has always been his most admirable quality, right up there with his insistence on passing out of double- and triple-teams (even if he's finding crummy outside shooters and inadvertently hurting his chances). Along with Steve Nash, he's the ultimate team player. Which makes this whole thing such a shame. I watched the Timberwolves lose on consecutive nights recently and realized two things. First, they don't have an above-average player other than KG. And second, KG's body language, especially after Peja Stojakovic's game-winning three, makes him seem almost resigned to his fate, like an unhappy husband who can't stomach the thought of a divorce because he doesn't want to hurt his children. It's depressing to watch.

In his shoes, maybe you or I would have sabotaged our situation already, but that's what is great about KG: Instead of quitting on a lost cause to force Minnesota's hand, he just keeps busting his butt and waiting to be saved.

And that's why someone needs to save him. For the good of the league, David Stern needs to "nudge" McHale and Taylor to make a move. Trade the man to the Bulls or the Clippers or the Lakers, all of whom have the right combination of young players and picks to make a palatable exchange. Stick Garnett in a big market with quality teammates and see what happens. We need to see what he can really do, and so does he.

Whether he wants to admit it or not.
jrt1584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #2
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Great article. The big problem I have with all of it is that, KG does not have help around him. Who is our defensive stopper? KG is. Who has to hit the Big shot if KG is doubled and tripled team? KG is. Somehow KG has to fight off the double and triple teams in order to get off a shot.

And if KG were to come into camp with a mannerism that is not like him, the media would eat him alive. Say KG came to camp with a chip his shoulder or started to talk about the coaching and the managment or the overall leadership, people would start to question KG, like they did when the Slam magazine article did a story on him this off season.

So, the best thing for KG is to finish out this season. Ask the ownership to ship him to the Lakers and watch Kobe and KG take off.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

shut up, negativity man...from the bottom to the top is what i say...bottom of our division to the top!
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 11:24 PM   #4
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04mzwach
shut up, negativity man...from the bottom to the top is what i say...bottom of our division to the top!

At some point u gotta lose that optimistic attitude and take a realistic look at things. With the players that the Wolves management have given to support KG over the past, there's no way KG will be able to take this sorry team anywhere close to a championship. KG needs a legit #2 guy and it doesn't appear that Taylor/McHale are ever gonna give that to him. I'm one of KG's biggest fans but an even bigger T-Wolves fan. I hate seeing KG's prime go to waste like it is, he deserves better. If KG ever leaves, the team he goes to will automatically become my 2nd favorite team.

If Malone could never win a championship with Stockton, Nash hasn't yet with Marion/Amare, Dirk with some very deep Mavs teams... what makes u think that KG is gonna be able to with half the talent these other guys have? MJ always needed Pippen, Kobe needed Shaq, Shaq needed Kobe/Wade... Unless the Wolves are somehow able to swing a deal for 1 of the other stars that are in similar situations as him (Pierce or AI), the smart thing to do would be to trade KG for some depth and give him a fair shot at winning something before it's too late for him. Or how about merging the Wolves/76ers/Celtics into 1 team??

C- Dalembert/Perkins/Hunter
PF- KG/Webber/Gomes
SF- Wally/Davis/Hassell
SG- Pierce/Iguodala/Foye
PG- Iverson/James/Telfair

That team would be dominant... Championship contenders for sure.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
jjswifty

jjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation herejjswifty has an incredible reputation here

thats a great article(even tough I didnt read it all). KG has no help and they blame him. I hate when they compare him to Duncan and they say Duncans better. KG proved that with a little help(cassel,Spree) he could lift a team. Hopefully he gets traded soon to a better place.
jjswifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:37 AM   #6
Perezident
Kings>>>Clippers

Perezident has no real reputation yet.

yea like the kings
Perezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #7
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perezident
yea like the kings

The Kings have what the Wolves have & dont have what the Wolves need, which is a decent big man to help KG. And no, Miller/Thomas do not count...
Old 11-24-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjswifty
thats a great article(even tough I didnt read it all). KG has no help and they blame him. I hate when they compare him to Duncan and they say Duncans better. KG proved that with a little help(cassel,Spree) he could lift a team. Hopefully he gets traded soon to a better place.

I know, I hate that too. Duncan has a defensive stopper. Duncan has a legit #2 scorer, Manu. Duncan has a point guard. Pretty much Duncan has balance all around him, KG has none of that. And like you stated, when KG had Spree and Cassel, they dominated. A dangerous PG opens up so much more. A legit #2 scorer or a #3 scorer helps the offense become that much better. KG needs that.

The one thing that I love about KG, is his loyalty to the team and his respect for the team, the owners, and Minnesota. People whine about the fact that he "shut it down" last season at the end. No duh!! After 10 years of giving your all, every day, you get burned out, and I don't blame him. The guy played hurt for all of the season (Knee) and people question his commitment to the team?

I stated before, if KG leaves us, I will not be mad at him. He has been a model citizen for the city of Minneapolis and for the state of Minnesota. He has been a blessing for the NBA. You root for players like KG to get that ring. And if he has to leave to get that ring, I will not dislike KG one bit. Just send him to the Lakers.....lol!!
Old 11-24-2006, 11:36 PM   #9
04mzwach

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

Another win for the wolves against the Hornets...
Man, we have lots of talent, you just stopped having faith in our team cuz of the past couple seasons...a bad start doesn't mean we're not a playoff team.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:32 AM   #10
jrt1584
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Man, we have lots of talent, you just stopped having faith in our team cuz of the past couple seasons...a bad start doesn't mean we're not a playoff team.

It's nice to see some optimism, but it does get kinda old. Where is the "lots of talent" that u always speak of?

Mike James? 0 pts, 0 rebs, 5 ast, 0 stls, 3 to's, 0-5 FG
Ricky Davis? He'll have 1 or 2 good games and then follow it up with a streak of games where he disappears
Eddie Griffin? Our supposed answer to the Wolves center problems got his 2nd DNP in 3 games, his 3rd DNP of the season

Seriously, the only T-Wolves players that have met or exceeded expectations on how they were supposed to do this year has been KG (as always) and Craig Smith. U could add Foye to that list but can't really because he hasn't gotten enough playing time to prove himself yet.

Beating the Hornets, a potential playoff team, on the road is a good start. Beating the Knicks at home was nothing, thats a game that we were supposed to win and we did. We need more of these wins against potential playoff teams to prove that we belong on the list when talking about teams that could make the playoffs this season.

The only other big win for the Wolves this season was on the road against the Nuggets and we followed that up with a loss to the Blazers. We end the month of November playing at home vs the Clippers tomorrow night, at Dallas on monday night, & at Houston on tuesday night. If the Wolves can take 2 of those 3 games and end the month of November at or above .500, i'll start to believe in them a little more.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:58 AM   #11
04mzwach

I think we can beat the clippers, i like the match-ups. Ricky Davis should score at will and i hope they play foye more because i dont think james can get around their pg. yeah, craig smith is a blessing with those offensive rebounds. that's really what we need a lot more of, offensive rebounds. i don't care about griffin at this point, he can come in and do what he does but if he doesnt improve then there's no use giving him burn with craig smith out there.

edit: this team works, jaric was said to be crap but when he's a spot up shooter...he plays quite well and if Ricky Davis...he is a key player...if he puts up 20 a game and Blount stays hitting those jumpers along with 6 or 7 rebounds...we will make the playoffs with no doubt in my mind. James has to be hot every once in a while too, he can't have bad games like he did tonight all the time. I hope things work out with James, he seems to be gauranteed make when he's wide open from long range, which I like. But I still want to see what Foye can do with about 25 minutes. Maybe James will get injured sometime throughout the season and Foye will have to fill in a little bit more. That might be a blessing in diguise even though I like Jame's style...once he's on...he really doesn't know when to stop. He gets cocky and takes stupid shots, like the new york game. He felt confident and KG was giving him the nod then he pulled up for two stupid shots and missed them both. Then following that game, he goes 0/5. I like the limited amount of shots though, it's key that when someone isn't shooting well that they keep their shots to a minimum and it's nice to see that he's proving the critics wrong that he's not just a ball hog but a team player. this is a team game and i see the chemistry. dont worry jrt...i know u pretty much believe the wolves are done this season but i know better. we have a good fighting chance, these next 4 game are key though. if we lose these, i would feel like we don't have much of a shot cuz all of these next 4 teams are contenders. if we can take 3/4...i say we make the playoffs...if we go 1/4...i say we don't.

talent comment:
hudson's been good at times and he gave us a win, foye is a future all star, craig smith is the steal of the draft, trenton hassell improves every year, ricky davis could be something really special if only he could stay more consistent, mike james is money from outside when open, kg...enough said...probably best year yet, we have a deep team, jaric is a great spot up shooter, reed needs a little more burn...he's shown signs of consistency, if mccants comes back and has his shot down...we could tear up our division, we have a lot of talent...and this year we seem to be developing more chemistry. we were like new york last year cept we had KG so we got a better record. that's my point of view anyway.

Last edited by 04mzwach : 11-25-2006 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
JellyBean
College superstar

Quote:

I would say that I have lost faith in the "talent". I am not convinced that we have enough bench depth to compete with the Spurs, Mavs, Lakers, Jazz, and Suns. We can beat teams that don't have bench depth, because we are even on that part. But when we play teams like the Hornets, Hawks, Bobcats....we should win. But when it comes to games against teams that have depth at every position, we don't have an answer.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:42 PM   #13
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

james with 0 again vs clipps

what a huge waste of money
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
BlockShot
I hit open 5-footers

BlockShot has an OK reputation so far

cheak foye out! 17 minuites 15 points mmmmmm thats the guy want
BlockShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:57 AM   #15
04mzwach

t-wolves...playoffs...book it
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: