Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #31
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: NFL Week 1 Discussion and Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Yeah it's tough. And of course my dad HAS to get married on a Sunday. Figures he's a Cowboys fan.

It's your dad's wedding.. C'mon man....
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #32
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

When I think NFL opening kickoff, I think Taylor Swift
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #33
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
...and Dave Matthews.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #34
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:

She was looking pretty fine in that dress.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #35
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
I would say a little bit slower. I get annoyed with football a lot because of all of the commercial breaks. It grows quite tiresome after awhile. They did a study and found out there are 13 minutes of real action in one football game as well. It feels like a lot more but I can see where people are coming from when they criticize football.

If you have 2 good teams going at it though, it's usually very entertaining. Although it's hard to pick up what everyone's job on the field is, like gap control and what techniques and schemes are being played. So picking up the advanced aspects of it are hard but understanding the basics is pretty easy.

How long is an NFL game even?. I think I got most of the positions down. It's just the defensive schemes\offensive schemes I'll be lost.

Going to follow the Broncos so hopefully there half ways decent.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #36
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
How long is an NFL game even?. I think I got most of the positions down. It's just the defensive schemes\offensive schemes I'll be lost.

3 hours is probably the average.

Good luck with those Broncos. I think they'll be better than people expect but who knows. They've lost most of their talent!
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #37
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
3 hours is probably the average.

Good luck with those Broncos. I think they'll be better than people expect but who knows. They've lost most of their talent!

Quite the length I see. All I know is that some Elvis Dummerville guy is injured . It's insane how many players are on a roster and how many make an impact. So much different from the NBA where like 8-9 guys only make an impact on a team.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
AK47DR91

Quote:

Think of her as the talented cheerleader.

So beautiful, so talented.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #39
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:

The overall game is pretty cut-and-dry. However, it is the little nuances that you are going to have to get down. For instance, in what situations should a defense blitz? What should offenses do to counter blitzes?

What is a good run-down and what is a good pass-down?

What are the differences between the two main defensive schemes used in the NFL? There is the 3-4 and the 4-3. Basically, the 3-4 means three down liinemen and four linebackers. A 4-3 is four down linemen and three linebackers.

Depending on the defensive scheme that a team runs, they will want a specific kind of player. For instance, the 3-4 requires DE/OLB combo players and a big nose tackle to take up space.

These are the little things that you will learn.

Also, another thing that you may want to get a grasp on are the penalties. They are very important and can be very confusing in football for people that are just learning the game.

What is considered a hold? When should pass interference be called? What does 'illegal man downfield' mean?

It is just a matter of watching and learning. Once you are able to sit down and watch games comfortably knowing all of the rules and what each player on the field should be doing, there isn't a better game in the world. The fact that it can be so complicated is what makes it so great.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:59 PM   #40
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Quite the length I see. All I know is that some Elvis Dummerville guy is injured . It's insane how many players are on a roster and how many make an impact. So much different from the NBA where like 8-9 guys only make an impact on a team.

Ya its nuts. 53 man roster then theres 8 people on each team's practice squad along with those on the PUP list and so on. So many... lol

Dumervil was a beast last year. Shame he got injured. Of course you guys got Tebow but I doubt he'll be a huge contributing factor this year. Hopefully some of your young players will step up.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #41
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Drew Brees is going to eventually win a senatorial seat by the biggest margin in Louisiana history
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #42
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
The overall game is pretty cut-and-dry. However, it is the little nuances that you are going to have to get down. For instance, in what situations should a defense blitz? What should offenses do to counter blitzes?

What is a good run-down and what is a good pass-down?

What are the differences between the two main defensive schemes used in the NFL? There is the 3-4 and the 4-3. Basically, the 3-4 means three down liinemen and four linebackers. A 4-3 is four down linemen and three linebackers.

Depending on the defensive scheme that a team runs, they will want a specific kind of player. For instance, the 3-4 requires DE/OLB combo players and a big nose tackle to take up space.

These are the little things that you will learn.

Also, another thing that you may want to get a grasp on are the penalties. They are very important and can be very confusing in football for people that are just learning the game.

What is considered a hold? When should pass interference be called? What does 'illegal man downfield' mean?

It is just a matter of watching and learning. Once you are able to sit down and watch games comfortably knowing all of the rules and what each player on the field should be doing, there isn't a better game in the world. The fact that it can be so complicated is what makes it so great.

Thanks for some of the info. Kinda excited. Most of my friends\family are pretty into football and I'm kinda the lonesome one into the NBA. I'll probably never come close to liking the NFL as much but seems pretty fun to watch.

Do people know the players in the NFL like the NBA?. Like can you kinda give a break down of most players in the league? It's the mass about of players that's confusing me
Old 09-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #43
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Whoever repped me, thanks. I felt black marked lol.

And I was negged because someone didn't like what I shared on the what makes you weird thread. O well...

Ugh, Nadal/Verdasco is going to be on at the same time as Saints/Vikings. I'm going to be flipping back and forth a lot.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #44
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Thanks for some of the info. Kinda excited. Most of my friends\family are pretty into football and I'm kinda the lonesome one into the NBA. I'll probably never come close to liking the NFL as much but seems pretty fun to watch.

Do people know the players in the NFL like the NBA?. Like can you kinda give a break down of most players in the league? It's the mass about of players that's confusing me

I would say not even close. I consider myself a fairly close observer of the NFL and the most knowledgeable of all my friends and I couldn't name half of the players on multiple teams. Some maybe only 10-15 or so. You have to be really dedicated, which I'm not. Just too many people. It's just one of those things you have to accept.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #45
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
I would say not even close. I consider myself a fairly close observer of the NFL and the most knowledgeable of all my friends and I couldn't name half of the players on multiple teams. Some maybe only 10-15 or so. You have to be really dedicated, which I'm not. Just too many people. It's just one of those things you have to accept.

Kinda figured that. Are people obsessed with statistics in football like they in basketball?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: