Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: D3 or another college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I went over the ideas I had after HS with my parents yesterday and they said it was fine and that I didn't have to decide right away. I told them I still put school first but if I had the chance to play and go to a great school I'd have to think it over.

Yeah that's the plan I'm going to follow, I don't have to make the decision now so I'm just going to improve, be the best I can be and when the time comes weigh my options.

That you don't have the right to decide?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
That you don't have the right to decide?

You mean my options? I don't have the right to decide what they end up being but I'll have some say in what I choose.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:30 AM   #18
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Well like I said, you always have a choice, regaurdless if you parents act like semi nazi's
Old 09-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #19
Dipset_Ballin
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Dipset_Ballin has an OK reputation so far

bro UAA d3. I went to NYU and played and loved every second of it. UAA is the best becuase it is only D3 squad that takes planes and has the best academic schools with ball there is for d3. We have us-NYU, Wash U, U Chicago, Rochester, Carnigie Melon, Brandesis, Emory
Dipset_Ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #20
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Thanks, my grades are not too great and I'm currently failing a class so I've decided to take a break from basketball and other activities to study more. I'll probably end up not playing the whole year, it sucks that my basketball goals are over for now, but I have other things to attend to.

I was kinda upset when I realized it but it's cool now. Getting good grades is awesome
Old 09-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #21
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

noooo.. well if it works for you then I guess it's good. Maybe you should just get like an hour or two for hw and another hour to study. I mostly have ap classes and I have a B or higher in all the classes except reading..(needa change my work ethics)

Last edited by bobbyflay : 09-25-2010 at 10:34 PM.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 AM   #22
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Thanks, my grades are not too great and I'm currently failing a class so I've decided to take a break from basketball and other activities to study more. I'll probably end up not playing the whole year, it sucks that my basketball goals are over for now, but I have other things to attend to.

I was kinda upset when I realized it but it's cool now. Getting good grades is awesome

Typical. It's not hard to not a fail a class and play basketball in High School. I don't see why you can't do both unless you are just copping out. Who am I to judge tho? Only you know.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #23
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Typical. It's not hard to not a fail a class and play basketball in High School. I don't see why you can't do both unless you are just copping out. Who am I to judge tho? Only you know.

If I could do it, don't you think I would? It's a combination of things like my academic results not being up to par and uneven time spent training.

I'm also not copping out: I said I was taking a break for now. If I was copping out I'd be upfront and say I was going to stop trying to play in college. When I said I wanted to play D3 it wasn't something I said to try and impress people or stir up commotion, I did it because it was something I truly wanted to do. Now, there are other things I have to attend to.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:15 AM   #24
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

But here is the thing Carp. I don't know your schedule, but I'm guessing your school schedule is something like 8am-3pm. That leaves you with 7-9 hours after school to practice, workout, and do your schoolwork. In High Scool, unless I had a test to study for or some huge thing I put off until the last day or 2, then I never had more 2 hours of homework. Let's say you spend 3 hours of time between lifting and practicing (good amount of time), then you still have roughly 4-6 hours to do your homework.

This is the last thing I am going to say about this tho because the ball is in your court. For someone who has talked the talk tho, you aren't walking the walk. You say all this and that about wanting to play, but now you have other things to attend to? Maybe you do maybe you don't... or maybe it got tough... maybe you are starting to doubt yourself... or maybe you are just losing interest? Whatever it is... it's a shame to see it, but you are the one who has to deal with it.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #25
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

You're right in that it's all in my decision but if I had lost interest, I would have said I lost interest. Right now my schedule is abnormal because of additional classes I have to take, everyday 3-6 after school and then I'm working 3/5 days after the classes/school.

With the time crunch it's been trickier to manage a schedule but don't take that like I'm making an excuse. Once the class is over, which is next week, I have more time because right now I'm doing things 7am-9pm. I already said I haven't lost interest, I said I was taking a temporary break, it could be one week, it could be 2, to try and fix everything and get organized.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:01 PM   #26
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
You're right in that it's all in my decision but if I had lost interest, I would have said I lost interest. Right now my schedule is abnormal because of additional classes I have to take, everyday 3-6 after school and then I'm working 3/5 days after the classes/school.

With the time crunch it's been trickier to manage a schedule but don't take that like I'm making an excuse. Once the class is over, which is next week, I have more time because right now I'm doing things 7am-9pm. I already said I haven't lost interest, I said I was taking a temporary break, it could be one week, it could be 2, to try and fix everything and get organized.

It sounds like you do have a crazy schedule, but all I can think about is watching the movie hoop dreams and seeing the kid get up at 5 to take a bus to school, walk a mile, take another bus, go to school, work after school so he could pay for the school, and still have time to play basketball and do his school work.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
knickmybockers
Can barely lace up my sneakers

knickmybockers has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
I just started my junior year of HS and with that comes college talks with my parents and stuff, taking more classes/standardized tests for better entry into colleges. I've still been finding time to practice ball but I've had second thoughts about playing college ball.

If I end up playing basketball in college, it will most likely be at the D3 level in a rather obscure school. My parents would not accept that idea and I'm starting to wonder what I should do. My other choice which I'm leaning towards right now is to try and get into Cal Berkeley or another Cal school, one where I would not be able to play on their team but would be able to attend a very nice school and pursue an excellent career later on.

What should I do? Basketball will end sooner or later for me, but the idea of playing D3 was on my mind for months. It was pretty much my goal until college to become great at basketball and for me that would've proved all the doubters wrong.

Now, I'm not so sure what to do now.
a lot of D3 schools are very good academically. you can look at a school like emory, for example, where you can get your cake and eat it too. you'd be getting a great education while still playing D3 ball, and being an athlete on campus is always a plus (especially for girls).
knickmybockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #28
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickmybockers
a lot of D3 schools are very good academically. you can look at a school like emory, for example, where you can get your cake and eat it too. you'd be getting a great education while still playing D3 ball, and being an athlete on campus is always a plus (especially for girls).

Great post. Look for the schools like Emory and NYU. Also some schools hook athletes up with crazy aid if your good. I played D3 ball and went to a school that was 40k tuition and pain less than 2k per year.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #29
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No slacking man.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #30
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

You're all right, there's too many excuses I'm making for this. Time shouldn't hold me down because dwadefan said before school is always an option. Between school and work, there's plenty of time for me to keep practicing and there are also lots of great schools educationally and athletically. I just have to improve my organization skills and time management.

Swaggin, you're right because the ball is in my court and I'm not going to lie and say it isn't. Thank you for helping me realize I was actually kind of copping out.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: