Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-12-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

Default What do you do when your constantly double teammed in the halfcourt?

I am starting to see double teams on an every game basis at the gym I play pick up ball at.

My team that I am on has been undefeated since I started playing there. 13-0. I just seem control the pace of the every game, and just have my way offensively and defensively it seems like.

Today i played 2 games. We play first to 11 baskets all 1 pointers. The first we won 11-7 I believe.

Then the 2nd game was much tougher competition, so I had to step it up a notch offensively. I had a jumper on the elbow off a curl, a bank shot off a down screen, and a jumper off a pick and roll. I was having my way with the defense had like 4-5 baskets off drives including one on a 1 on 1 fastbreak where i hit him with the Allen Iverson Killer Crossover and change pace so fast that his feet were glued to the floor then finished strong with a left handed dunk off of two feet that got some awes from the team that got next.

Anyway, we were up 9-6 I had 8 of my teams baskets. Then the other team started to adjust, I got the ball in my favorite spot about 17 feet out on the left wing, and then the double teamming started to happen. I didn’t force anything I kicked it out, then swung the ball. The same thing happen the next down, doubled kicked it out. The other team starts hitting their shots.

Then I stopped playing the way I wanted to play and tried to use myself as a decoy and just stand opposite the side of the ball on the baseline. We just couldn’t score . We blew the lead lost 11-9, first loss for me at that gym and I didn’t attempt a single shot during that stretch.

What should I do the next time I see my team blowing a lead because the other team starts doubling me? Should I try to work the pick and roll on top of the key, shoot the ball over the double team or use myself as a decoy?
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: What do you do when your constantly double teammed in the halfcourt?

Yea I mean you could run a high pick and roll... but swinging the ball is the right thing to do. In pick up a double is not going to be followed up with other people rotating 9 times out of 10... so the guy you get the ball to should have an open shot... just has to make it.

You could also try and split the double team too... but that's obviously not going to work every time.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
lilojmayo
#lovethat32

Default Re: What do you do when your constantly double teammed in the halfcourt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea I mean you could run a high pick and roll... but swinging the ball is the right thing to do. In pick up a double is not going to be followed up with other people rotating 9 times out of 10... so the guy you get the ball to should have an open shot... just has to make it.

You could also try and split the double team too... but that's obviously not going to work every time.

True, but the spacing isn't all that great or wide enough, so the defense can close out pretty quickly which is what they were doing. I'll try the pick and roll when it starts to happen..

I am starting to get doubled closer to the end of the game in almost every game now, I think this was just a fluke how they came back. I probably should just keep swinging the ball and pick and roll.
lilojmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
AJ2k8
Banned

I'd say run a series of picks to free up as much space as possible and not rush the shot, have some patience under pressure and remain the floor leader you would usually be under less pressure. Obviously swinging the ball is a good option but you don't want to settle for the first available shot so just communicate with your teammates and tell em what you think they should do and go from there.

Last thing you want to do is let their defense change up the flow of your team
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Put other guy at the PG spot and try to creat your own instant shot all by yourself , cutting or getting some screens.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Permodius
I airball my layups

Well judging by your initial post, you sound like a really good player. So you should have no problem splitting the double team and creating a shot for either you or your team. Use your skills.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
623baller
dedicate

pass the ball and start cutting the lane

sounds like you'll need more moves around scoring off the ball

but again, if this is pick up, unless you have decent team mates, it probably aint going back to you unless you are that wide open, or have teammates with good court vision

again if you are getting doubled, that means someone on your team must be open, look at what position is pressuring you (big man or another guard) then work with your teammate to beat it

any type of press/doubles are actually disadvantages to the defensive team because once you beat it , it's usually an easy two or wide open jumper. unless the defense is that much better than your offense, it's usually not hard to beat a press or double

on the other hand, congrats, you've proven yourself to be in need to be contained
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
iamgine

When you got doubled, isn't it just a simple matter of your teammates positioning themselves and make their shots?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
trig
Decent college freshman

playing decoy is not just standing in the corner and letting your teamates create. You can try using simple plays like hand-off play, fake hand-off give and go etc. just mix it up a little bit to make the defense confuse. unless of course if all your teamates suck lol
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Birmingham1955
High school junior varsity star

I have never player a pick up game where a perimeter player like yourself being doubled everytime they have touched the ball. Post players yes, but never a perimeter play. That's when you know you have earned your gym's respect.

Anyway it is pretty simply MOVE WITH THE BALL. Tell your teammates to send a series of off the ball screens, try to be like a Rip Hamilton and just come off to a catch and shoot.
Birmingham1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: