Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Riddler
D-94

Default Calvin Johnson - Chicago Bears Game - That was not a catch!

It was damn close... but in my opinion that was not a catch.

Sorry but he didn't hold on to the ball long enough... the ground knocked the ball out of his hand.

Seems like I'm going to be in the minority as to weather or not it was a catch... and it most certainly was not a catch.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Calvin Johnson - Chicago Bears Game - That was not a catch!

his knees and ass are on the ground in the end zone while he has posession, there's no difference then when someone runs in and spikes it

pathetic ref job
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
his knees and ass are on the ground in the end zone while he has posession, there's no difference then when someone runs in and spikes it

pathetic ref job
Ref made the right call. It's the rule book not the ref.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
PowerGlove
By Any Means

What is the rule again? He took two steps after the catch, landed on his ass in bounds with the ball, how is that not a touchdown?
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Can someone please explain the rule as to why it was not a catch? Shouldn't the touchdown be called as soon as both feet come down and he has possession?
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

You cant say this is not a touchdown and then give Matt Hasselbeck a touchdown on the same damn day for running at the goal line and spiking the ball one handed on the other side of the line.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
jazz873
College star

Catch or not dumbest rule there is. If it was ruled a catch you wouldn't be hearing about it like you are now. The fact that the refs don't even call this rule consistent is the worst part.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
It was damn close... but in my opinion that was not a catch.

Sorry but he didn't hold on to the ball long enough... the ground knocked the ball out of his hand.

Seems like I'm going to be in the minority as to weather or not it was a catch... and it most certainly was not a catch.

It was definitely a catch and I don't know how you can even argue against it outside of the rule being so stupid that a catch is no longer considered a catch even though it was clearly a catch. Dooms are you retarded? He held on to the ball for a long ass time.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
clipse026
Local High School Star

Not to mention he had a tight grip on the ball like it was a tennis ball in his hands. Not once did he even come close to bobbling it. The refs made the right call by the rulebook but its a shit rule. And it was clearly a catch. The rule needs to be adjusted. That play was similar to the play Louis Murphy made on opening day last year. Both got robbed. Calvin even more so. The thing that made it worse was that it was the end of the game. He let the ball go so fast to get up and celebrate (like pretty much anybody would) and that hurt him. I can't fault him for that.

You'll be in the minority because you're wrong. There is no possible way anyone can argue against that catch other than citing the rulebook word for word. It's stupid that if he caught that on the 5 and then crossed the goal-line and then flipped the ball in the air it would have been a touchdown 10/10 times. Same thing if he dove to the pylon and it flew out after hitting the pylon. The rules need to be revised. When a touchdown isn't even a touchdown, things need to change. There shouldn't be special rules just because a play takes place in the end zone.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
It was definitely a catch and I don't know how you can even argue against it outside of the rule being so stupid that a catch is no longer considered a catch even though it was clearly a catch. Dooms are you retarded? He held on to the ball for a long ass time.

+1
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #11
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

It was a catch. Lucky for us Bear fans, the rule went in our favor. I hate the rule cuz i beleve the Raiders got robbed last year like the Lions did yesterday....

Oh well, 1-0. Can't complain.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
lakerHater
Local High School Star

Someone must GIF that!!
lakerHater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #13
Riddler
D-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18

I swear to God something like that happened while you and your friends were playing some touch-football, or flag football.... everyone would agree that it wasn't a catch.

You have to secure the ball on the way to the ground... and at the very last split second while his body was going to the ground... the ball was no longer secure.

like I said... I know I'm going to be in the minority.

I think there was vote if there should be a rule change on the NFL network if the rule should be changed and it was 82%- Yes.... 18%- No.
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:12 AM   #14
clipse026
Local High School Star

At what point did you ever see him lose control of the ball? The only time it even came out is when he went to get up to celebrate. That's not even arguable. He pushed himself up with the hand the ball was in. That was the only time the ball left his hand.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #15
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler
I swear to God something like that happened while you and your friends were playing some touch-football, or flag football.... everyone would agree that it wasn't a catch.

Ummm, no. I've been against some of the stupid catch rules they have/had for a while. It use to be something stupid like 'make a football move'. I wouldn't play backyard football with retarded rules. It's suppose to be purely for fun, so why would you play with strict rules that don't even really make sense? If someone goes up, catches the ball, maintains control of it, lands with both feet inbounds and still in possession of the ball for a second, then it should be a catch. He had possession of the ball well beyond what I need to see to consider something a catch.

Quote:
You have to secure the ball on the way to the ground... and at the very last split second while his body was going to the ground... the ball was no longer secure.

He had the ball all the way until he was on his way up and it hit the ground. He didn't juggle it at all.

Quote:
like I said... I know I'm going to be in the minority.

Because you're wrong. IMO, it's not even close. It should unquestionably be a catch.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: