Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Doctor K has not been impressing people
Default How to make All-Star Game more Meaningful

We all want the players to try harder in the All-Star game. Actually try to win through the whole game. Play defense.

But how? Money is not a good enough motivator. And the desire of winning seems only relevant in the last 5 minutes of the game. We need more.

How about whichever side wins gets HCA in the NBA Finals? West wins, the team representing the West gets HCA in the Finals. East wins, the team representing the East gets HCA in the Finals.

Why this works

1) 1st of all, even in the NFL, the team with the "best record" usually just gets HCA advantage through THEIR conference. That is already good enough.

2)
Teams actually "care" about having HCA in the playoffs. This is what is most important. It actually "matters". I doubt Kobe, Miami, Boston, Orlando, and San Antonio just show up in the game like they don't care if they lose.

"Who cares if we don't have HCA in the Finals".

Yeah right!

3) Most the players in the game are on teams that will be on the playoffs. Team record is already a big factor in selecting All-Stars. All the real contenders have their players in the game. Sure there are a few players who could care less who gets HCA, but the vast majority actually will care who gets HCA in the Finals. And this will bring energy to the players who don't care as much.

I mean, when MOST of the team wants to win the game, the WHOLE team will play hard. Energy passes on.

4) Who is coaching the game again? Oh yeah. Someone who really wants to win the game. Now if the COACH wants to win the game, the players will respond.

NBA listen to my idea!

Last edited by Doctor K : 02-19-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Doctor K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Funnyfuka
National High School Star

Funnyfuka is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: How to make All-Star Game more Meaningful

times have changed.... they should only keep the skills and 3pts shooting contests. Everything else is meaningless.

Maybe add ones on ones between stars... they would do their best not to be beaten by the oponent... but as it is kids are waaay too spoiled to give a single damn. Also there s waaay too many ads it's driving me crazy. The whole thing has very little soul to be honnest. I only enjoyed watching the 3pts shooting so far.
Funnyfuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
DeronMillsap
Banned

DeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

MLB does that with their All-Star game with the AL or NL winner getting home field advantage. It didn't make the game better.

Uhhh no, if Finals HCA is based on an exhibition game then it'll make the regular season even more meaningless.

It's an event for th fans, it's suppose to be fun.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeronMillsap
I totally agree. Clearly different people have different expectations of the All-Star Game, but I'm in it for some real fun. I love the dunks, I love the random moves, and I love players looking to attempt things they wouldn't usually want to risk in real games. I am entertained by all those high flying All-Star trick antics. I like the relaxed and fun atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnyfuka
times have changed.... they should only keep the skills and 3pts shooting contests. Everything else is meaningless.
I disagree. The NBA will need to try even harder to water down and phase out the dunk contest before I stop caring about it (if they whittle it down to two contestant, that might do the trick - I'd tap out then). However, in my opinion, I feel the Skills Contest has potential, but I don't see a point in holding a speed-based contest if half the contestants are going to lollygag around the course. It'd be nice if all players all really tried there.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-19-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Can you imagine how much more exciting the All-Star game would be?

Many fans would WANT LeBron/Wade/Pierce/Rose and others to play their best basketball. They would WANT Kobe to take over and lead his team to the win. It just becomes so important. The closing minutes of the game, the intensity will be very high.

I mean, if the Fans want all of this to happen so bad, imagine what the players feel like. They will go into the game wanting to win for sure.

I don't know about you, but I would be much more interested in the game, and so would all the players.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeronMillsap
MLB does that with their All-Star game with the AL or NL winner getting home field advantage. It didn't make the game better.

Uhhh no, if Finals HCA is based on an exhibition game then it'll make the regular season even more meaningless.

Well regular season is still for HCA through your conference. Same happens with NFL. Same happens with MLB as you said.

Are you saying regular season for both of their sports are meaningless?

That's just you then.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool

I personally don't want defense in the ASG. The game is fine. A one-on-one contest would be insanely popular though. And unlike a dunk contest, it can be successful without stars..
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
I personally don't want defense in the ASG. The game is fine. A one-on-one contest would be insanely popular though. And unlike a dunk contest, it can be successful without stars..

I want to see the best players in the word play their best.

That's all. Maybe you don't want to see that. Ok?
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Ikill
i be killah swag

Ikill has decent reputation

the all star game is fine
Ikill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think its fine the way it is....
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #11
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Do what the NHL did and have 2 captains(Kobe and LeBron?) pick the teams.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #12
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor K

Sorry but I don't want hard fouls and endless fts in a showcase game. I want creativity and flow
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I understand where you're coming from. I think a lot of us just kind of feel we already see that on a night to night basis. If you're looking for a collection of all the great players playing their best together, then I suppose International play kind of rivals that. However, I do like how the All-Star Game stands now. The fun plays are fun and a nice change of pace from serious competition. The stars still make amazing plays.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
Sorry but I don't want hard fouls and endless fts in a showcase game. I want creativity and flow

There will be ton of actual creativity when your coach actually decides to coach his best and is given the best players in the world.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 PM   #15
DeronMillsap
Banned

DeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDeronMillsap is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Well regular season is still for HCA through your conference. Same happens with NFL. Same happens with MLB as you said.

Are you saying regular season for both of their sports are meaningless?

That's just you then.
Meaningless was too exaggerating...

Unlike the NFL, NBA and MLB teams can take a few games off in a season if they have their division/conference seeding locked up.

I just think it's dumb to place the championship series on an exhibition game.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: