Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #1
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Dudes at your gym that got game

This dude yesterday... 6'1-6'2 white guy (Average Joe), damn man this guy was like me at my full potential (little taller tho obv.) First couple games he was posting up cus his guy was a little shorter/same height as him... got him really bad with an up and under... and then did it him 2 more times lmao, just toying with him. Next game he got on with my dudes and a couple other solid guys (they won like 5 games in a row) and was seriously automatic for the first 2 games with his 3 ball. He'd get wide ass open, and it was nothing but net every time... Pull up 3 on a break, nothing but net. dude was money. He finally started missing a couple in games 4-5 but they were still str8 on, just a little short or long. This guy had about 8 or 9 serious dimes too... not like get his past his man no look to a guy standing under the basket dimes, but like cross court, skip passes, lasers to guys cutting to the basket... crazy shit. The passes he would attempt were just so nuts (but smart lol)... he must have got like 4 or 5 kick balls on dudes lol, but that's all they could do was kick it, they couldn't steal it.

i was about to ask this dude when he played cus it was the first time I'd seen him there and I honestly want this guy on my team when I recovered from my injuries and started balling again. He never forced the issue, always took what the D gave him, hustled, played D, played team ball... just a great fckin player. There may be more effective players there due to length or athletic ability, but nobody with the all around game that this guy had. He reminded me so much of Larry Bird.

When I say he reminds me of me at full potential, I can shoot about as well as him, and I have a great post game based on a lot of fakes like he had, that I hardly ever utilize it in games. I think my court vision is about as good as his (out of the post or in triple threat), but I don't think I could fire it in there as well as he could... bottom line, I really respected this guys game and want my game to be as well rounded as his. Got any dudes like that at your gym that just really impress you?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Dudes at your gym that got game

No not really at where I play currently but there are a lot in Chicago.

One guy in particular I remember because he dunked on my cousin who is one of the best players I play with [he went to Wisconsin].

They threw an alley oop to him and my cousin calmly goes up to grab it like he always does. Well he couldn't quite get it he tipped it even higher and the guy caught it after the tip and delivered a crazy two hand dunk.

The game stopped for a minute it was bananas. The guy was only like 6 feet tall.

Back in my heyday the very same cousin made me guard some guy that played overseas [I was 17]. I was feeling very confident that game, not really shooting because the competition was so high and I was clearly the young buck. But I was doing well, dishing a few passes, playing solid d I thought, and hitting an occasional shot.

Well as soon as we got up a little the guy turns it on and starts backing me down full court and draining DEEP threes in my face including the game winner.

At least he was gracious about it though.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

me
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
stridge
Decent playground baller

stridge is a pretty well-respected posterstridge is a pretty well-respected posterstridge is a pretty well-respected poster

i always have to guard this dude when we're playing against each other at my college pick up game. hes the same height as me, similar quickness level but he's the best guy on the court. Has the best handle on the floor, drains jumpers from every where on the court and finishes well with his left. takes me out of my offensive game too because i'm beat defending him. frustrating playing with guys like that when you have to guard them, i dont even feel like playing ball for a bit after that.
stridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridge
i always have to guard this dude when we're playing against each other at my college pick up game. hes the same height as me, similar quickness level but he's the best guy on the court. Has the best handle on the floor, drains jumpers from every where on the court and finishes well with his left. takes me out of my offensive game too because i'm beat defending him. frustrating playing with guys like that when you have to guard them, i dont even feel like playing ball for a bit after that.

Yea I know what you mean. You are always up to the challenge (at least I am), but after taking a beating for a while, you get sort of into the "FML" mode lol, especially if you aren't hitting buckets on the other end. I know if I am guarding someone really quick who I know I can't possibly stay in front of and still defend the shot (If they can't shoot then it's not a problem), then I look around and see if anyone else can guard him. I know most everyone at my gym's game (offensively and defensively) so I know who has a better shot... and if there is someone who can guard him better and I'm getting torched, then I admit defeat and ask them to guard him. If not, then I'll just ask for help. I'm not embarrassed at all when a guy is just took quick too guard... I'm embarrassed if I can stay in front of my guy and he still scoring... but then I'm just motivated. When you do all you can to try and stop someone tho and they are blowing right by you... that's just a helpless feeling

There was actually a guy just like that tho that same night. My friend prides himself on his D and does a good or great job on his guy the majority of the time... but this dude was about 5'8 and quick as lighting... his handle was sick too. He danced my friend around 2 times and got an easy bucket then an uncontested J. Next time my friend was able to contest him, but he still hit the J anyway. My friend's team lost the game and he basically said "I had no idea what to do with that guy... but I was starting to read him by the end, one more game and I'll have him figured out." I don't think he would have figured him out lol.

Those guys tho... I mean yea they are good, but it's natural ability. He was just a skinny little dude who could move like the freakin wind. I don't respect those dudes as much as I do truly skilled players... but obv. they still get it done so I have some respect for em.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 09-17-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

LOL @ Swaggin916 , im Sorry but when you say recover from my injuries , you make it sound like you play in a professional league.
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe8
LOL @ Swaggin916 , im Sorry but when you say recover from my injuries , you make it sound like you play in a professional league.

Maybe I do
Old 09-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Those guys tho... I mean yea they are good, but it's natural ability. He was just a skinny little dude who could move like the freakin wind. I don't respect those dudes as much as I do truly skilled players... but obv. they still get it done so I have some respect for em.

I'm not too sure about that, because it seems to me like unlike jumping ability, quickness can't be taught or improved as significantly. So you're right in that it's natural ability, but to have that much linear athleticism requires skills. Lots of quick kids I play with can't dribble because their bodies are moving 1 step before their hands, so they turn it over easily.

Jumping on the other hand, I don't respect that much at all. For some reason all the great jumpers I know never do any kind of jump training or direct leg work to actually jump higher, so it's natural and they don't seem to care about raising it. So it's kind of crappy to see a dude with mad hops tooling on everyone.

The people I'd respect though, are the truly skilled players with insane athleticism. A nightmare to guard but incredible to watch.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

^^ Well, people aren't naturally gifted. I'm starting to realize that they train other skills that are often used in basketball. A soccer player I know has great spins/handles and jumps high, but he can only shoot lucky 3's. A football player I know shoots about 50% but he shoots it like a football and is sort of exceptional at other things.

On Topic: When I used to go to the gym, there was a guy who was about 6'2 too. He was an african american who mostly wore short shorts(lol yeah they were to his thighs). He made half court shots/3's/slam dunks/and any shot you can think of. Strangely, he wasn't a ballhog.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Maybe I do
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

When he play some pick up games in off season, we always have some physical gifted player (like 6'9 or something like that) that make the difference in the game .. here we play 4on4 half court, 16 points.

Most of the times, the only way to win the ****ing game is having a team with 4 players that can shoot from outside, and are quick to double that guy.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:50 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
I'm not too sure about that, because it seems to me like unlike jumping ability, quickness can't be taught or improved as significantly. So you're right in that it's natural ability, but to have that much linear athleticism requires skills. Lots of quick kids I play with can't dribble because their bodies are moving 1 step before their hands, so they turn it over easily.

Jumping on the other hand, I don't respect that much at all. For some reason all the great jumpers I know never do any kind of jump training or direct leg work to actually jump higher, so it's natural and they don't seem to care about raising it. So it's kind of crappy to see a dude with mad hops tooling on everyone.

The people I'd respect though, are the truly skilled players with insane athleticism. A nightmare to guard but incredible to watch.

Yea quickness can be improved, but not like vertical or straight line speed... to be quick, your muscles have to be super fast twitch, and training for people without natural fast twitch just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Was I quicker when I was on VJB? Yea I had a better first step in any direction... but could I stay in front of a really quick guy? I couldn't before and I still couldn't. But too each his own... if a guy is really quick, then it's hard even for other really quick guys to stay in front of them. It's the advantage that the offense has.

Yea I know what you mean though and I consider that. I mean a guy like Shannon Brown is probably super quick, but he doesn't have the handle to abuse his quickness like a Chris Paul or Derrick Rose... but he sure abuses his vert lol. My friend is basically like a Shannon Brown... he can make a nice move every now and then, but he just has a great vertical and he has his games where he will get 6 or 7 easy buckets cus he just jumps over everyone. I mean it everything does take some skill, and guys model their games based on how athletic they are a lot of the times, but I'm more into watching people score methodically or in unique ways. Bottom line tho... if I'm playing with you, I don't care how you get the ball in the bucket as long as you do. Watching from the sidelines is different tho

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 09-18-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Yea quickness can be improved, but not like vertical or straight line speed... to be quick, your muscles have to be super fast twitch, and training for people without natural fast twitch just doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. Was I quicker when I was on VJB? Yea I had a better first step in any direction... but could I stay in front of a really quick guy? I couldn't before and I still couldn't. But too each his own... if a guy is really quick, then it's hard even for other really quick guys to stay in front of them. It's the advantage that the offense has.

Yea I know what you mean though and I consider that. I mean a guy like Shannon Brown is probably super quick, but he doesn't have the handle to abuse his quickness like a Chris Paul or Derrick Rose... but he sure abuses his vert lol. My friend is basically like a Shannon Brown... he can make a nice move every now and then, but he just has a great vertical and he has his games where he will get 6 or 7 easy buckets cus he just jumps over everyone. I mean it everything does take some skill, and guys model their games based on how athletic they are a lot of the times, but I'm more into watching people score methodically or in unique ways. Bottom line tho... if I'm playing with you, I don't care how you get the ball in the bucket as long as you do. Watching from the sidelines is different tho

Exactly: quickness, especially the acceleration phase, I don't know a single way to improve it. I know track workouts to help explode out of blocks but other than that it's pretty natural. I definitely agree with you in that the offense controls the defense.

When I'm guarding a super quick guy with a good handle, he pretty much has me on a string because in order for me to stop him from blowing by me I have to try and explode with him, then he hits me with a crossover and he's got an opening.

Everything is natural/skill I guess. If you have an advantage, why not use it? I'm not going to stop driving past a slower opponent like a bigger guy won't post up. If you can jump, then jump. It's kind of boring because you know the guy's a born jumper but you could argue that any big man is a natural post player and any quick player can drive. I prefer playing alongside more athletic players though, their speed and jumping ability helps when you run a break because it stretches the defense more.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Yea everybody has different advantages tho. I mean I know for me, I can shoot. I know plenty of people who work as much as me if not more(my friend being a good example) and they will probably never be able to shoot like me. At that same time, I may never be able to jump as high as them, or handle the ball as well. Even though things like Ball handling and shooting can be improved, not everyone can do those things so you know some people must just have certain gifts that predispose them to being better at those things.

That being said, height is just unfair I mean I don't have the athletic ability to play at a high level, so I'd have to have the height to make up for it... but I don't.

Well you can improve your acceleration. Like I said, I was faster in any direction when I was on VJB, and I will be again when I can work out again, but it's not like I will ever get super quick... but at the same time it's not like I will ever jump super high or run super fast... I can improve those, but I will never be as quick as the quick guys or jump as high as the true leapers. No sense in whining about it tho... I don't beleive just because someone is quicker or can jump higher they are better than me. If I work hard I can outperform them no problem.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #15
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool

Occasionaly, I play with guys who have D1 game/scholarships but usually it's guys who are athletic and trying to get on a D3 or CC....some just play for fun but are really athletic. Personally, I take it as a challenge to see how good I am or am getting. Other times I just like watching a really good player ball....I'm a fan of ball at the end of the day.

When I moved down to LA, that's when I started to play with some legit ballers. I remember playing against this guy who was 6'5 with a real nice Paul Pierce jumper. Not super athletic but he had that jumper..off the dribble, pull up, spot up, whatever. Plus he had like 30 pounds on me. I guarded him the whole game and shut him down. He kept on driving or trying to shoot over me and I read him everytime. Got him so frustrated that he didn't talk to me the whole day. That's the kind of shit I love.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: