Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Basketball Dirk
High school junior varsity star

Basketball Dirk is considered somewhat coolBasketball Dirk is considered somewhat cool
Default What do you think of athletes that advertise junk food and/or soda?

I think it's irresponsible and gives children a false impression. Shame on athletes who do that.
Basketball Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What do you think of athletes that advertise junk food and/or soda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketball Dirk
I think it's irresponsible and gives children a false impression. Shame on athletes who do that.
are you telling me that olympians dont eat mcdonalds three times a day? No!

meh, its a little irresponsible but, frankly, its not like gatorade or vitamin water are actually good for you either. Is it irresponsible to act like underarmor clothing gives you a distinct competitive edge?
all advertising is irresponsible. otherwise they wouldnt have to hoodwink people into purchasing their product.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

i don't see a moral issue with any advertising. maybe that makes me don draper, but i don't care.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
DaniloGallinari

Vitamin Water is great. When you first wake up and you feel like shit, Vitamin Water will help kick start the day with vitamins.

Underarmor vests are great. Maybe not complete competitive edge, but complete comfortable edge.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
i don't see a moral issue with any advertising. maybe that makes me don draper, but i don't care.
what about this ad campaign?

boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

it's the kind of ad that is effective at briefly raising awareness or curiosity, mostly among wealthy people or adopting white folks, through an appeal to sentimentality and right of life arguments. but it's not something that will inspire action or purchase (or in this case, black adoption/prevention of black abortion through interest in adopting a black kid).

it's not clear from the ad that the movement seeks to do anything other than prevent abortion. i figured it was just a racial-tinted anti-abortion ad, but i went to the website just to clarify what they are about so i could respond to you properly.

it doesn't get into 'shock value' territory but it's obvious pandering for a cause the organization believes in. even the "average" people who are targeted by this ad shrug this kind of thing off pretty quickly in my experience. a hard-hitting ad doesn't stick with a consumer as long as a subtle one.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

The whole save the innocents protect the children angle doesn't stick with me. Its a way for them to attack something they don't like so that the mass of people won't question the reasoning behind it. Instead of the argument being I think I have the right to tell you what to eat and what you can sell and to whom and how much. You get to be a crusader protecting the innocent from bad people.

Regardless screw peoples fat ugly kids. Kids don't have money and they aren't dieing from nachos in the first place.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

can't hate on people for getting paid
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
chips93

i think in the eu there is some kind of restrictions on public figures and celebrities advertising unhealthy foods
Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I was talking about this the other day. Every pro sporting event is sponsored by beer and fast food.

They should post a warning that says, "If you want to guarantee you never become a pro athlete, just eat and drink this crap."
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #11
RandyOrton
OKC

RandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRandyOrton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I agree, as a pro athlete they should set a better example for the kids. They need their role models.
RandyOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
Done_And_Done
D & D

Done_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDone_And_Done is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
meh, its a little irresponsible but, frankly, its not like gatorade or vitamin water are actually good for you either..

Real Talk Booze?
Cause that's been my hangover remedy for a while now...
Done_And_Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Bird
I Drain 3's

Bird is a pretty well-respected posterBird is a pretty well-respected posterBird is a pretty well-respected posterBird is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOrton
I agree, as a pro athlete they should set a better example for the kids. They need their role models.

Why should someone who is getting paid millions to play a game set a better example than anyone else in a child's life?

I could care less what an athlete is hawkin' in some advertisement. How I see, they can get their money however they like it.

All I ask of athletes (professional and amateur) is to provide me with some entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.
Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

lilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputationlilbeastnani has a bad reputation

I don't see it as a moral issue but I do hate how dudes like Michael Phelps or Bron and Dwight Howard advertise McDonalds as the choice of champions or whatever the slogan is as if McDonalds fuels their bodies to become rock hard.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #15
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh so the athletes are responsible for childhood obesity? Not the parents that continue to shovel garbage down their children's throats. Gotcha.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: