Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-20-2015, 04:11 AM   #301
eriX
Good High School Starter

Default Re: MAD MEN series discussion

I like mad men but after binge watching four seasons in a row, it kinda got boring cause every other episodes involves don sleeping around. As much fun as it is, when you don't get that week break, it kinda gets really repetitive and boring.
eriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #302
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Yeah, Mad Men is really a show tailor made for the traditional TV format. It's best to watch it live, discuss it with friends, read reviews of the last episode by critics, and then watch the next episode.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:23 AM   #303
Suguru101
Annabele Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
Yeah, Mad Men is really a show tailor made for the traditional TV format. It's best to watch it live, discuss it with friends, read reviews of the last episode by critics, and then watch the next episode.

Which reviews of Mad Men do you enjoy the best?

I find the AV Club recaps to be some of the most interesting. Molly Lambert at Grantlant is great, though sometimes she focuses on silly things. Still, great writer.

Last edited by Suguru101 : 02-20-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Suguru101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #304
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suguru101

I find the AV Club recaps to be some of the most interesting. Molly Lambert at Grantlant is great, but she focuses on some of the most inane things some times.

I like most of the Grantland coverage of the show. I always like to hear different perspectives on the episodes and Molly's is almost always different from mine which I like. I also like when Andy Greenwald writes a larger recap of the show.

AV Club is really the only other one that I read because I like the two writers there that cover the show. Other than that I'll just listen to some pop culture podcasts that touch on the show.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #305
ArbitraryWater
Verdict: Bron Fam WINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suguru101

I find the AV Club recaps to be some of the most interesting. Molly Lambert at Grantlant is great, though sometimes she focuses on silly things. Still, great writer.

Nice, I read about every review from the AV Club after an episode, Season 1 was done by Todd, will change now.

I keep away from the comment section, though. I was bothered by the picture above the seasons showing Don/Peggy, leading me to believe this is how it will eventually end, or they will end, together, I interpreted it that way, as kind of a spoiler.. so I wrote about it to Todd on Twitter, but he just said he doesn't see it as one, and that's it... Which is nice, since now it could also mean it just focuses on the road of their 2 main characters, he kept it spoiler free and satisfying

Sadly, he works for VOX only, now.
ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM   #306
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

It is among the best shows ever to really dig into thematically. Up there with Lost for dialogue. I watched the first maybe four seasons in binge form. I can understand the repetitiveness complaint, but I found the time jumps a huge help in that regard from season to season. And within season it was the character arcs that kept me going episode to episode. And there's some jumps in that too. I love how they just sort of drop you into these people's lives. You don't necessarily start at a meeting point or something, they just sort of start and let the audience pick up where the relationships are at any given moment.

I also read Molly Lambert, but I thought she wasn't really working at Grantland anymore since last season. I loved her stuff on most topics. I also love Greenwald, although I disagree with him more often, and I have found that he seems to get close to production people and becomes unfairly defensive about their shows. I know he did set visits and good pieces on both Homeland and The Bridge, and he hung on to Homeland waayy too long, and continued to defend The Bridge right to the end, while completely bashing The Killing, when the gap between the shows wasn't nearly what he was implying, and watched and liked both.

Mark Lisanti does those Mad Men power rankings on Grantland, and they're great. It cracks me up that Don has never not been number one.

I don't read any other TV review stuff, which is odd because I really enjoy well thought analysis on it. I've just never really known where to look. And I mostly read the Grantland stuff because I read Grantland almost every day.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #307
ZeN
Stormblessed

Thorp you ate definitely right about Greenwald. He was often speaking well of The Bridge and how he likes the creator. Said the show had solid portions. Yet, the truth is completely the opposite. The Bridge is really a mess and it's direction is sloppy and the writing is as poor as it gets. Greenwald just seems to be close to the creatives behind it, so he keeps on pushing a wishful thinking narrative.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #308
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

The last Mad Men power rankings was hilarious with the intro comparing Roger to Napoleon and Jesus and Lisanti was still like "nope Don is still the resident alpha."
Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #309
ArbitraryWater

This show is so damn flawless

On to season 3 tomorrow (its passed midnight so actually just later after school)..
Old 03-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #310
ArbitraryWater

Soo.. what happened to Duck?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:14 PM   #311
ArbitraryWater

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Seasons 4 and 5 are the best television ever.
Duck got fired.

Haven't mentioned anything about it (yet).. I just thought they'd still pull through on making him the new boss.. that "I have no contract" **** you moment was awesome.

I couldn't believe it...

Off of 2 seasons, both seasons the episodes (A.V Club) everyone got an A-B rating.. probably bit more A's, then I just started with the 3rd season, and looked at the ratings, every single episode but TWO have an A rating... and its supposed to get better?!

This show is as realistic as any other, ever.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #312
outbreak

Is this coming back soon? I'm glad this is the last season, season 5 (I think it started there) and 6 were total rubbish and my girlfriend and I nearly gave up on it as unwatchable but this latest season has improved a bit.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #313
ArbitraryWater

Quote:
They don't ever mention it. It's just implied at the end of season 2 because Don basically says "it's him or me" and obviously they choose Don.
Yeah, the season with the comedians wife is the worst. I think that's season 2 (or maybe 3)

That was 2... if that was the worst season then oh my, lol.

I liked him tbh, I also liked how he went at Don once, and left him bewildered at first.. right after (or before?) he told Betty that Don is cheating on her.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #314
ArbitraryWater

Quote:
I mean, there are some really great moments in season 2. Like the trip to California, or Don shitting on Duck's soul, but overall it kind of lacks a narrative in the way that other seasons seem to, and I just hated the comedian's wife. I just have no idea why Don was interested in her.

That trip to California was epic.

Yeah, hated her too.

I think, me, and others too, asked themselves at one point if Don even liked her.. I'm not sure he did.

Betty tried to be as much of a perfect, and good looking (home) wife like her mother, her entire life, Don cheating on her with some old prick like her, she wouldn't understand it.. it made no sense. She didn't offer anything else, anything special. I think Don was just searching for a spot in his life.. if that could be something he could do, continue doing. There was a reason behind it, I know that..

No other show besides Mad Men where it feels the writers know their characters as well, they know so much more than us and even what we see of them on the screen.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #315
Nastradamus
National High School Star

Bobbi Barrett is a typical Don mistress. Brunette, powerful to a degree and secure and sure in terms of her personal identity. The latter two being more important(as we saw with Fae)

Also the scene where he jams his fingers up her skirt is epic.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: