Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #16
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: My Vick/Kolb rant plus more news

This is why I'm upset over this whole situation. The reason the Eagles have always stayed relevant and competitive over the years is because they've stuck to the same formula. They've always known when to move on from their past stars and let them walk because they've built for the future with their young guys. Hugh Douglas looks old? Let him walk because we've got Trent Cole. Hank Fraley done? Prepared with Jamaal Jackson. Brian Westbrook nearing the end? LeSean McCoy is our 2nd round pick and we'll cut Brian. We've always known when to draft or sign a replacement for a guy who is nearing the end, and though it draws criticism when we let Eagles greats leave it always has worked under Reid. In 7 of the last 10 years under Reid we've won at least 10 games. If you look at the beginning of that (2000), a middle year (2004 or 2006), and the last year (2009) you'll see all different players at different positions other than McNabb and Dawkins. Different cornerbacks, linebackers, linemen on both sides, fullbacks, runningbacks, wide receivers, tight ends. They've been great at determining when to move on from a player and switch to a future young guy in an effort to continue winning in the future. They don't re-sign 31 year old studs with 1 year left in their legs just because they've been great to the team. They move on.

And that plan was supposed to continue with the quarterback position. Kolb's been given unfair expectations with all of the comparisons to an Aaron Rodgers type situation. Did he look amazing in the preseason? Of course not. But other than the last game I thought he looked fine, and looked great vs. the Jags in the first preseason game despite being 6/11 or 6/12 or whatever he was. If we're comparing preseasons with Vick than he looked head and shoulders above Vick who threw 3 picks in 27 pass attempts and had 2 fumbles.

When the decision to switch to Vick was first made I thought it was a tactic by Reid to save Kolb from some scrutiny he would face when coming back. Kolb had quotes already about "I have to prove this is my job", already showing that there was pressure on him. And as soon as he made a small mistake in game the fans were going to chant for Vick no matter what the mistake was. The fans have already rallied behind Vick. I thought this was a way of protecting Kolb from the boos while protecting his own ass from the media. And to go along with that, as soon as Vick starts committing dumb turnovers (which WILL happen, maybe not vs. JAX but at home vs. the Skins) the fans would be chanting for Kolb and Reid can bench Vick, sending in Kolb to save the day with all of Philly back behind him.

And just to make it clear, I agree that Vick puts us in a better position to win now. He's a more experience quarterback with a history of winning and helps us excuse the fact that we have a piss-poor offensive line. But WHAT is he exactly helping us win? 8 games? 9 games and a POSSIBLE wild card berth? We're going to risk giving game time experience and a season of learning so that we can have a chance to win 9 games? And then where are we again come the beginning of next season? Vick's going to want money out the ass if he plays well for the rest of the year and we're not going to give big money to a 31 year old quarterback who depends on his legs. For all that we could've just kept our other aging quarterback.

You know on ESPN there was a poll of who would you rather have, Vick or Ben Roethlisberger? And 60% said Vick. I can't believe people are treating this like Vick is in his playing prime, basing it off of a Packers team who had 0 time to game plan against him (not just game plan against a scrambler, but even a left handed QB) and a game against the Lions. THE ****ING LIONS.

And despite all this it's not that I'm not going to hope for Vick to do well. I hope he plays so damn great and leads us to so many wins that Kolb doesn't see the field anymore this year. I've even got a white Vick jersey coming in the mail this week. But there's a formula to winning in all of sports. You have to take a step back to go forward in the future, and decisions like this are what keep you stuck in mediocrity. Patchwork doesn't work in sports. Maybe we go 5-11 with Kolb this year and then with his growth you see a playoff contending team next season. But we're risking that for an 8 or 9 win team this season and then being back to square one next season when we're stuck with Kolb (no experience) or Vick (who will be overpaid for his age and style of play). I don't care what anyone says, it's more than Vick just losing his athletic ability with age. Maybe he continues to be just as fast up until 35 or 36, but if he keeps taking hits like the one Vanden Bosch gave him at the end of that last game his body will deteriorate. Or hits like the one in the Green Bay game when he got knocked into the air on the sideline around the 10 yard line.

I know this decision is because the offensive line is in shambles and Vick will help with that. With Kolb back there we were keeping Celek on the line to help block and McCoy staying back to help chip, and then with Vick in there we're running a spread offense that has been very kind to LeSean McCoy. But regardless of all that I've never been in favor of patchwork or staying in mediocrity in sports. I don't like risking a potential great future for an "okay" right now. Reid's throwing out that he can still learn while watching, but there is nothing he can learn on the bench watching Vick that he hasn't already learned in 3 seasons under McNabb.

But after all that, I see Kolb seeing the field once again this season. He's going to have a 3 pick game at home somewhere along the line and the chants for Kolb will come out, and we'll get to see how loyal Reid is to a guy he didn't want as his game 1 starter.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
The reason the Eagles have always stayed relevant and competitive over the years is because

+

Could be ok with Vick.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 PM   #18
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
But after all that, I see Kolb seeing the field once again this season. He's going to have a 3 pick game at home somewhere along the line and the chants for Kolb will come out, and we'll get to see how loyal Reid is to a guy he didn't want as his game 1 starter.

yeah, and you just can't keep flip flopping like that after ONE game...

Romo has had a few 3-pick games, one last year...and I can remember fans screaming to replace him right after, knee jerking over ONE bad game...what would we have at QB right now if fans got their way?

fans are STUPID and ALWAYS overreact when something happens, good or bad

Reid should have prepared for Kolb to have some bad games, I am a bit shocked that he expected Kolb to step in and become a bad ass right away without any grooming at all...other than a little last year (where he looked pretty good)

this is overreacting...really dumb...imo

Kolb might have a 5% chance of becoming a SB winning QB...

Vick has a 0.0001% chance...the only way Vick is going to win a SB is if Philly gets the 2000 Ravens defense...he isn't a good passer and he can't consistantly win games on his feet...
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604002

Quote:
The Philadelphia Eagles have received numerous calls about the availability of quarterback Kevin Kolb from several teams, according to a senior team official.

"We have had calls," the team official said Wednesday.

Mike & Mike in the Morning

ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter says he would be surprised if the Eagles traded QB Kevin Kolb. Plus, Schefter doesn't see Chargers WR Vincent Jackson getting traded, which means he'll be done for the year.

When asked Wednesday whether Kolb would be on the Eagles' roster after the Oct. 19 trade deadline, Eagles coach Andy Reid said, "Listen, I can't predict anything down that far, nobody in this league can do that."

Kolb has missed the past six quarters because of a concussion, and Michael Vick played well in his absence. Kolb was cleared to practice and was expected to run the first-team offense Wednesday.

However, on Tuesday night, Vick was named the Eagles' starting quarterback, with Reid saying, "When someone is playing at the level Michael Vick is playing, you have to give him an opportunity."

Vick came on in relief of Kolb after Kolb suffered a concussion in a 27-20 season-opening loss to Green Bay.

Vick threw for 175 yards and one touchdown and ran for 103 yards, and last Sunday he passed for 284 yards and two touchdowns in the Eagles' victory over the Detroit Lions.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Earlier Wednesday morning, Eagles coach Andy Reid could not defintively say that Kolb would not be traded by the Oct. 19 trade deadline.

However, asked if he would listed to trade offers for the 26-year-old, Reid said, "No, I want Kevin Kolb on this football team."
There was a rumor about the Browns inquiring about Kolb but it was quickly shot down.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #21
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green

+

Could be ok with Vick.
Two huge constants and I'm not denying their greatness. But they managed to go 11-5 last year with a top 12 defense and much worse personnel than Jim had for the majority of his career. And the Eagles have went 15-11 in games since '01 where McNabb had to sit. Take '06 for instance when McNabb started off the year 5-4, got hurt, and Garcia finished it up 5-2. (I know I know, a Philly fan knocking McNabb again.)

I'm not knocking your point, just throwing it into the convo. They were huge in us being competitive over the years but there are other large pieces of that puzzle. I would put Andy Reid as a more key component of our success than McNabb. He's stubborn as hell in his ways and I disagree with him on this whole Vick saga, but there's a reason he's recognized as a top coach in the league.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Trading Kolb would mean Eagles better be securing Vick to a deal because he is gone after this season. If you trade Kolb and lose Vick in FA. Who is your QB? Andy Reid could be canned.

I'd trade Kolb and sign Vick to a 3-4yr deal.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #23
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Not really disregarding Reid, just pointing out that Philly was largely about getting a few points without many turnovers from the QB and a stout defense. Which is a lot like what Vick and the Falcons did, except that McNabb was (and probably still is) a smarter QB than Vick.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #24
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Forgot to put in my rant that the rotating in/out of Vick while Kolb was the starter was horrible. It was horrible for McNabb, horrible for Kolb, and horrible for anyone who wants to use it in the future.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #25
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

And I hate to go back to the Rodgers comparison but it's a good example of my "take a step back to go forward in the future" point.

The Packers were 13-3 in '07 and Favre had a 95+ QB rating. They handed the keys to Rodgers and knew that their '08 season would be a downgrade from the previous year. And they had the opportunity to bring back Favre in '08 and win more games, but chose to take the step back in '08 and let Rodgers play out the season (good or bad, turned out good) and hope that it helps them in the future. Now look where they're at.

It's a similar situation in Philly. No Kolb isn't as good as Rodgers, but they should take the same route in letting Kolb have his year and take the lumps and learn. If Vick plays great this year, you're stuck with the decision of whether you want to re-sign him for the money he wants and whether he even wants to re-sign here. If he walks, you're back to where you were this year with Kolb...just 1 year later. If Vick ends up not playing well this year and you choose not to re-sign him you're again back to where you were this year with Kolb...just 1 year later.

Can't wait to either miss the playoffs by a game or get booted in the first round and then be back to square 1 next year with our QB situation.

In an unrelated note...what makes people like him all of a sudden? He's always #1 on those most hated athlete lists and then on today's ESPN poll 60% said they were rooting for him, 27% indifferent, and 13% rooting against him. All of a sudden people like the guy again?

Last edited by Posterize246 : 09-22-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM   #26
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

"we have decided to trade the legendary McNabb to a division rival, because we are so faithful that Kolb is the future"

*1 game later

"nevermind, just kidding, Vick is the future"

-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #27
Gundress
Banned

Gundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputationGundress has a terrific reputation

I think they made the right decision.

Last edited by Gundress : 09-22-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Gundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #28
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

NuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNuggetsFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Hopefully Vick holds down the starting spot. Love watching him play.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
In an unrelated note...what makes people like him all of a sudden? He's always #1 on those most hated athlete lists and then on today's ESPN poll 60% said they were rooting for him, 27% indifferent, and 13% rooting against him. All of a sudden people like the guy again?

What makes you think the people who like Vick now were apart of the poll that voted him as most hated?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #30
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
I dont like Vick. So what if he tore up Greenbay for one half of a game and he barely beat the Detroit Lions? Vick will probably have a decent game against jacksonville too. After that the eagles face quality defenses in the Redkins and the Niners and these guys wont be fooled by Vicks flashy shennanigans.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: