Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
theaussieguy
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 959
theaussieguy has decent reputationtheaussieguy has decent reputation
Default I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

and have touched regulation a couple times before meaning my absolute max vertical atm is 28 inches. I was reading through the VJB and i did the test where you compare your vertical to your reactive jump from a 12 inch platform. ATM my vertical is about 4 inches higher.

So do you think i should start doing some pylometrics without weights because i feel i have a good enough base in terms of leg strength as i have kept a lot of my gains from weightlifting a few months back, which is backed up by the fact my pure explosiveness outweights my reactive jumping ability.

Considering the guy who wrote VJB started with a 23 inch vertical and ended up with 41, can i expect to see anything near a 40 inch vertical down the road?
theaussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Don't expect to get a certain gain. You'll get exactly what you put into it. Everyone's body is different so one guy might get +20 inches while another only gets +4. Just work hard and the results will come.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,465
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

You have to weightlift in addition to plyos to get the best results. You can scale his workouts (which aren't very high in volume anyway) back a little bit... but always do the recommended for the main power lifts (which is the first lift he has listed for that phase... squats, deadlifts, etc.) Unless you squat 2.5-3 tiimes your body weight already, then you still have work to do in the gym. If you could squat that much tho... you'd probably already be dunking.

Yea don't go into it expecting anything. Just do the work and the results will come and the excitement will build. Then you will flatten out... then slowly gain more and more. Do the Plyo workouts on grass... you want to protect your knees. Remember, your body wasn't designed to do this kind of stuff... so always pay attention to how to feel. If you feel something is off, take a break until you feel better. I can guarantee that if you put in the work you will see results.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
theaussieguy
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 959
theaussieguy has decent reputationtheaussieguy has decent reputation
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
You have to weightlift in addition to plyos to get the best results. You can scale his workouts (which aren't very high in volume anyway) back a little bit... but always do the recommended for the main power lifts (which is the first lift he has listed for that phase... squats, deadlifts, etc.) Unless you squat 2.5-3 tiimes your body weight already, then you still have work to do in the gym. If you could squat that much tho... you'd probably already be dunking.

Yea don't go into it expecting anything. Just do the work and the results will come and the excitement will build. Then you will flatten out... then slowly gain more and more. Do the Plyo workouts on grass... you want to protect your knees. Remember, your body wasn't designed to do this kind of stuff... so always pay attention to how to feel. If you feel something is off, take a break until you feel better. I can guarantee that if you put in the work you will see results.


yeah i think ill do the intermediate balanced program, i read over his jumping technique section and that has already helped a lot before i would just throw my whole weight and muscle into the jump instead of using my momentum and reactive reflex to get me up
theaussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
ghettoracer
I airball my layups
 
ghettoracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ncal, scal, tokyo, taipei
Posts: 80
ghettoracer has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

you have same reach as me! i measured myself last week:

bare feet height: 5'11" (180cm)
bare feet reach: 90.5" or 7'6.5" (231cm)
wing span: 6" (183cm)

right now i can touch the rim again. so we have about the same vertical i guess.
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
DPittman
Banned
 
DPittman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 382
DPittman is a pretty well-respected posterDPittman is a pretty well-respected posterDPittman is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

i'm only 5 foot 7 and i only have 6'11" reach
DPittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
theaussieguy
Good High School Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 959
theaussieguy has decent reputationtheaussieguy has decent reputation
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoracer
you have same reach as me! i measured myself last week:

bare feet height: 5'11" (180cm)
bare feet reach: 90.5" or 7'6.5" (231cm)
wing span: 6" (183cm)

right now i can touch the rim again. so we have about the same vertical i guess.

yea i did measure mine kind of roughly but its anywhere between 7 foot 4 and 6 so you probably have me beat by a fraction
theaussieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
ghettoracer
I airball my layups
 
ghettoracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ncal, scal, tokyo, taipei
Posts: 80
ghettoracer has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

yah, mine was done finger tip to finger tip. so we pretty much have the same reach. how big is your hand? can you palm the ball? a guy i ball with he's from Gambia. he's an inch shorter than me but he has a good 3" reach on me. his hands are like 2" larger than mine and basically full 2 size bigger.

i can barely palm the ball. it has to be a really grippy leather ball for me to barely hold it.
ghettoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,465
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoracer
you have same reach as me! i measured myself last week:

bare feet height: 5'11" (180cm)
bare feet reach: 90.5" or 7'6.5" (231cm)
wing span: 6" (183cm)

right now i can touch the rim again. so we have about the same vertical i guess.

See I only have a wingspan of 5'9 1/2, but my reach is a half inch higher than yours at 7'7. I am the same height too... My shoulders must be high set or something. My friend has a wingspan 4 1/2 inches more than mine, but my reach is only 3 inches less than his (he is 6'2). So... I guess I'm unlucky when it comes to wingspan, but fortunately my reach isn't really effected by it

And yea Aussieguy... intermediate reactive would be the best program for you.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
carpevicis
Decent playground baller
 
carpevicis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 324
carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPittman
i'm only 5 foot 7 and i only have 6'11" reach

Exactly the same as me. I hate having short arms.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
Grafbag
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Grafbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 228
Grafbag has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
See I only have a wingspan of 5'9 1/2, but my reach is a half inch higher than yours at 7'7. I am the same height too... My shoulders must be high set or something. My friend has a wingspan 4 1/2 inches more than mine, but my reach is only 3 inches less than his (he is 6'2). So... I guess I'm unlucky when it comes to wingspan, but fortunately my reach isn't really effected by it

And yea Aussieguy... intermediate reactive would be the best program for you.

You do realise that wingspan measures both arms, while standing reach is only 1? So really, if he has 4 and a half inches wingspan on you, he should only have half that much in extra reach (Which would be just over 2 inches). I'd say your reach is affected too, mate =P

Anyway, I'm 6"1, about 150 pounds (range between 65-67kg) and have just been doing my own routine recently. I have light ankle weights which I wear the entire time, and do squat hops/tuck jumps/depth jumps, and with dumbells as well I also do squats, lunges and calf raises. With a casual timetable, in several months I have gone from narrowly missing the backboard to grabbing the ring. I hope to have dunked at least once by the end of the year.
Edit: Standing reach is about 7"9 in shoes

Last edited by Grafbag : 09-24-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Grafbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,465
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafbag
You do realise that wingspan measures both arms, while standing reach is only 1? So really, if he has 4 and a half inches wingspan on you, he should only have half that much in extra reach (Which would be just over 2 inches). I'd say your reach is affected too, mate =P

Anyway, I'm 6"1, about 150 pounds (range between 65-67kg) and have just been doing my own routine recently. I have light ankle weights which I wear the entire time, and do squat hops/tuck jumps/depth jumps, and with dumbells as well I also do squats, lunges and calf raises. With a casual timetable, in several months I have gone from narrowly missing the backboard to grabbing the ring. I hope to have dunked at least once by the end of the year.
Edit: Standing reach is about 7"9 in shoes

Nah man your logic is flawed. You make it seem like our shoulders should be the exact the same height, but his sit higher because he is taller. He is 3 inches taller than me, so if he has the exact same body type, his reach would would 3 inches higher. Well, his reach is 3 inches taller, but his arms are also longer than mine in accordance to his body. His wingspan is exactly his height... mine is shorter than my height by about an inch. So...either his reach should be higher, or mine should be lower... but we don't have the same body type. My shoulders must sit a little higher than average to make up for my lack of wingspan... or his sit a lower than average.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Grafbag
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Grafbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 228
Grafbag has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Nah man your logic is flawed. You make it seem like our shoulders should be the exact the same height, but his sit higher because he is taller. He is 3 inches taller than me, so if he has the exact same body type, his reach would would 3 inches higher. Well, his reach is 3 inches taller, but his arms are also longer than mine in accordance to his body. His wingspan is exactly his height... mine is shorter than my height by about an inch. So...either his reach should be higher, or mine should be lower... but we don't have the same body type. My shoulders must sit a little higher than average to make up for my lack of wingspan... or his sit a lower than average.

Ah ok, was a bit confused because before I didn't know that your friends wingspan was equal to his height and yours was even smaller. That is weird, maybe your shoulders really are set a bit higher. Good stuff at least that you have the reach. As I said, I'm 6"1 with a reach of about 7"9-10 anyway, so I guess it's similar story when comparing our reach. I've measured my wingspan as well, and that's actually above 6"2, more than an inch bigger than I am.
Grafbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic
 
Swaggin916's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,465
Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Yea it seems like 7'10 is about average for white guys who are 6'2. My other friend is 6'1 and his reach is about 7'9... and then of course I'm 5'11 with a 7'7... so it's just an inch per inch of height for us. I just can't believe that some guys wingspans are so much higher and their reaches as well... long arms, wide bodies, broad shoulders... So many features effect wingspan and reach. IT's just crazy. With a lot of us white guys, especially those of us who are ancestors of people from colder climates (England, Ireland/Scottland, Norway, etc.), are bodies are more shriveled up from the cold

But yea either my shoulders are set a bit higher, I can stretch more, or maybe something else that I'm not thinking of.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #15
Grafbag
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Grafbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 228
Grafbag has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I got a standing reach of 7 foot 6 at 5 foot 9.

Yeah, I guess I have an average reach, even though I have a wider wingspan. Don't know if my Macedonian heritage has anything to do with it though =P.

Anyway, how high can you jump? Because remember, it's not all about reach if you can still get up there.
Grafbag is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy