Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #16
Kobe8
Banned

Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded.

Feel so bad 4 Kobe Now , Alot of Refs hate Him , ( JOE Crawford ) But gotta say it makes the game More interesting , seeing how the players would react if they dont get the call..
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #17
Kobe Jnr
Banned

Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded.

More

=

Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded..

I agree with the posters suggesting we may see an early spike in technical fouls before things even out a little bit as the season progresses. I believe this was the case a few years ago when the reigns were tightened on arguing with refs before.

However, I may disagree that arguing with refs is unavoidable, particularly in the fashion we've seen in the past in the NBA (see: Rasheed Wallace flailing about after every single call of the 2010 postseason). It may be entertaining to the viewers at home, but I don't think it hurts to get a little more control on the situation.

Even with this new restriction, colleges and high schools will still have tighter regulations on arguments and feedback with officials than the NBA. And for the most part, players in those two leagues/associations adjust and respect those bylaws. Thereby, in theory, I do not see why NBA players couldn't just maybe reel it in a little, understand that yelling or motioning at an official will likely not influence many things in a positive manner, and just play ball.

The other side of the ball of course is the "who is it hurting, really?" argument regarding player disagreements with officiating and maybe there's an argument to be made there. I'm just saying, it's not as if they're outlawing the dunk here. They're just saying, "How about you work on not spasming uncontrollably each time we make a mistake?"
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #19
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded..

I don't want tighter rules because they selectively enforce them. Duncan can make his eyes real big, wave his hands, roll his eyes, throw his head back and nothing. The first time some other guys speak, TECH. The NBA doesn't need more rules because the refs have trouble with the existing ones.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #20
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Quote:
Referees have been instructed to call a technical for:

• Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

• Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

• Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

• Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

In addition, referees have been instructed to consider calling technicals on players who use body language to question or demonstrate displeasure, or say things like, "Come on!" They can also consider technicals for players who "take the long path to the official", walking across the court to make their case.

This is stupid as f*ck. They are trying so hard to make this into a b*tch league.
lilbeastnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #21
Batz
Shit just got serious

Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Quote:
Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

And I specifically think they made this rule to justify the tech Perkins got last year for doing that.

20 second mark http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnFryAiGLRM
Old 09-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
50inchvertical
College star

I don't care. It willl just like passed years when the NBA decided to "make an emphasis," on things like this (I remember seeing Livingston literally get a technical foul for rolling his eyes, literally), or when they made the emphasis on traveling, or when they made the emphasize on properly officiating the flops and jump intos, they'll overdo it for the first 5 games then everything will be back to normal.

I have no problem with teching up guys like Sheed and Kobe and Duncan, hell they get away with murder with regards to this, but I've also seen Vince get teched for walking away from the ref and refs like Crawford and Javie won't even let you talk to them in a peaceful manner
50inchvertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #24
kkling

I think this is both good and bad, I get tired of seeing the same crybabies throwing their arms up every time they get called for doing anything. So ****ing annoying.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #25
lilbeastnani
InsideScoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkling
I think this is both good and bad, I get tired of seeing the same crybabies throwing their arms up every time they get called for doing anything. So ****ing annoying.
Maybe, but you have to know where to draw the line. Whining and complaining should warrant a tech, showing emotions shouldn't. People don't pay to watch robots on the court.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
bagelred
Weird

There seems to be this movement both in sports and in society in general of more control over peoples actions. I think this is part of a broader picture. I'm not sure why this is.

But, yeah, these Nazi like rules are getting out of hand. They keep stripping the emotion away. Fans LIKE to see the emotion. Don't they realize that?
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

so, will we see timmy d ever get a tech for his petulant whining and actual grabbing of the ref to maintain their attention? I doubt it.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #28
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe8
Feel so bad 4 Kobe Now , Alot of Refs hate Him , ( JOE Crawford ) But gotta say it makes the game More interesting , seeing how the players would react if they dont get the call..
you can tell you are a complete dumbass fanboi if this is your first reaction to this news.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
BFRESH44
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
you can tell you are a complete dumbass fanboi if this is your first reaction to this news.
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #30
NoGunzJustSkillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I agree with the posters suggesting we may see an early spike in technical fouls before things even out a little bit as the season progresses. I believe this was the case a few years ago when the reigns were tightened on arguing with refs before.

However, I may disagree that arguing with refs is unavoidable, particularly in the fashion we've seen in the past in the NBA (see: Rasheed Wallace flailing about after every single call of the 2010 postseason). It may be entertaining to the viewers at home, but I don't think it hurts to get a little more control on the situation.

Even with this new restriction, colleges and high schools will still have tighter regulations on arguments and feedback with officials than the NBA. And for the most part, players in those two leagues/associations adjust and respect those bylaws. Thereby, in theory, I do not see why NBA players couldn't just maybe reel it in a little, understand that yelling or motioning at an official will likely not influence many things in a positive manner, and just play ball.

The other side of the ball of course is the "who is it hurting, really?" argument regarding player disagreements with officiating and maybe there's an argument to be made there. I'm just saying, it's not as if they're outlawing the dunk here. They're just saying, "How about you work on not spasming uncontrollably each time we make a mistake?"
it's not just about arguing, but players cant fist pump or slap their arms anymore. it's stupid, they arent doing no harm to anybody. the nba has enough fouls as it is.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: