Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #31
Glide2keva
NBA sixth man of the year

Glide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded.

So basically, Kendrick Perkins will set a new record for ejections, 82.

Because you know he NEVER fouls anyone.
Glide2keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #32
Yung D-Will
Utah Jazz (6-6)

Yung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation hereYung D-Will has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded..

Saw this on RG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mid-post
I think they waited for sheed to retire before they implemented this new series of "rules."

Players making aggressive gestures, such as air punches, anywhere on the court.

Demonstrative disagreement, such as when a player incredulously raises his hands, or smacks his own arm to demonstrate how he was fouled.

Running directly at an official to complain about a call.

Excessive inquiries about a call, even in a civilized tone.

Man I am really going to miss Rasheed

Anyway, it should be a lot of fun seeing the superstars (occasionally) seethe with frustration and hatred. Good times.
Yung D-Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 AM   #33
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded..

also, to be fair, this is how they call it for some players (notably sheed) already. Whereas others (like duncan who I already mentioned) get away with grabbing at the refs jersey and forcing them to engage with him. i doubt we see any real changes.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #34
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
I think they waited for sheed to retire before they implemented this new series of "rules."

Apparently Iverson will also remain out of the league as a number of refs have been known to vehemently disdain him and "teach him a lesson."
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:36 AM   #35
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
also, to be fair, this is how they call it for some players (notably sheed) already. Whereas others (like duncan who I already mentioned) get away with grabbing at the refs jersey and forcing them to engage with him. i doubt we see any real changes.
exactly, this is just a tool for the refs to get some of the more habitual whiners inline

the thing is i bet half the folks in this thread complaining about the new rules are the same ones complaining about guys like duncan kobe sheed or whoevers reaction to fouls and not getting teed up....lol

just bashing stern because it's stern...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #36
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded.

This "rule change" doesn't seem like it'll make a difference at all. It just gives the refs an excuse for their actions if they give someone stupid techs.

Though obviously, certain refs are going to be injecting themselves into games a lot more often now obviously.

We need to start a betting pool on which refs are gonna lead the league in techs. Joe Crawford's the superhorse in this race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
BS. It's a competitive sport. Emotions run high in the game. That's when players are at their best. I'm guessing Stern never played sports as a kid. I wonder if "excessive" includes just staring at he ref (See: Sheed) or laughing on the bench (See: Duncan).

The Duncan thing was the worst ejection I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Stern's act is tired.

Somebody should tell him that having players act like robots (ala baseball) is not going to have more people want to watch games.

It's like he forgot what got the game so popular in 80s/early 90s. Heated matchups with strong emotions. (Lakers/Celtics, Pistons/Bulls, Bulls/Knicks, etc)

The brawl happened years ago. It's time to let it go.

You're banned from talking about baseball again after that dumbass comment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sfgaQknkp8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1lHspk6IVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqryJqad-9o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tdon_BkAis (ruined catcher's career)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxpPBo0MMjg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf9E1zhnFec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMpB21pqCdU

In baseball, they're always hitting eachother with the ball, always taking out second basemen with shady slides trying to break their ankles, always slamming into the catcher trying to take him out of the game. This "complaining about calls" crap is 5x more vehement in baseball. There are actual fights that happen that don't result in (minimum) 5 game suspensions.

Meanwhile in basketball you get suspended for even leaving the bench, suspended for an "excessive foul", ejected for walking towards another player aggressively, and suspended for a week or two for throwing a punch. Ejected for arguing excessively such as if even 1/10th of what happened in a couple of those videos.

NBA is like the carebear league compared to MLB, so just stop now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe8
Feel so bad 4 Kobe Now , Alot of Refs hate Him , ( JOE Crawford ) But gotta say it makes the game More interesting , seeing how the players would react if they dont get the call..

I've never seen him ejected for arguing calls in over 5 years. I can't even remember him getting T'd up much for it in years.

Last edited by SinJackal : 09-24-2010 at 11:07 AM.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #37
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

This is good... why do you guys say it's not?

It's annoying to watch people work the refs. It's not a natural reaction. It might be habit by now... but it's kind of like if you get pulled over by a cop who is obviously harassing you.

You don't say... WTF MAN, I WASN'T DOING ANYTHING! because you know better. You just sit back and be polite. You might be curt with your responses or sigh... but you at least wait until he leaves to *****.

The only problem I have with this is that they probably won't enforce it. If they do it to the letter of the rule, then it's a great day for the nba.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #38
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #39
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
This is good... why do you guys say it's not?

It's annoying to watch people work the refs. It's not a natural reaction. It might be habit by now... but it's kind of like if you get pulled over by a cop who is obviously harassing you.

You don't say... WTF MAN, I WASN'T DOING ANYTHING! because you know better. You just sit back and be polite. You might be curt with your responses or sigh... but you at least wait until he leaves to *****.

The only problem I have with this is that they probably won't enforce it. If they do it to the letter of the rule, then it's a great day for the nba.

-Smak

The same players who always got away with it still will, and the guys who got hammered before are just going to get it worse. That's how the stupid NBA works.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #40
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinJackal
The same players who always got away with it still will, and the guys who got hammered before are just going to get it worse. That's how the stupid NBA works.

Seriously, though, I am one of those people that thinks the refs shouldn't be a part of the game. And people say refs impose themselves on the game by making bad calls... and that's true, but it's worse when you see the players talking to them.

I dunno why we, as fans, in 2010 with all of the advancements in technology stand for purposeful bad calls, though. There should be replay or some form of digital check. Or maybe refs that aren't 60 year old mobsters. I am sure I can find an article that says your reaction time and vision DECLINES as you age. Refs should all be like 25, I think. Or at worst 40 year old former players.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #41
SinJackal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Seriously, though, I am one of those people that thinks the refs shouldn't be a part of the game. And people say refs impose themselves on the game by making bad calls... and that's true, but it's worse when you see the players talking to them.

I dunno why we, as fans, in 2010 with all of the advancements in technology stand for purposeful bad calls, though. There should be replay or some form of digital check. Or maybe refs that aren't 60 year old mobsters. I am sure I can find an article that says your reaction time and vision DECLINES as you age. Refs should all be like 25, I think. Or at worst 40 year old former players.

-Smak

I agree 100%, except the part about the age limit thing. The old guy umpires in baseball do a pretty damn good job, and very rarely screw up calls (it happens, but when it does it's so close it's hard to complain). Meanwhile NBA refs constantly blow calls, and make several questionable ones repeatedly. . .especially in the playoffs.

I think it's just the way things are run in the NBA that's making it so bad. You make a good point about vision and reaction time declining, but since umpires do such a great job, it's hard to concur with that being such a big factor for refs. Ya' know?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #42
markymark
Local High School Star

markymark has not been impressing people

someone should really murder that old f@ggot.

the league becomes more and more like a disney movie each passing year.
markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #43
thomaspynchon
Banned

thomaspynchon has not been impressing people

This is a great idea. I find guys like Kobe who basically spend the entire game barking at the refs to be unwatchable. It detracts for the game and hopefully this serves as a good deterrant.
thomaspynchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #44
praneel
Stay Strong Droth

praneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation herepraneel has a near all-star reputation here

This is tough to enforce. It will be selectively enforced and thus will become arbitrary basically.

There are times when guys complain way too much, then I feel it is appropriate. But they can't do anything about flopping because it is tough to enforce? But they can make judgement calls about techs? I don't like it

One guy looks at the official wrong, TECH!
Another guy walk aways from the official saying something to himself, TECH!

While the stars will still get to whine and talk to the officials a little bit. The big names will still get to gripe about calls, and say they were held/fouled, etc.

I am just worried that there will be games that will have the outcome dictated by these silly judgement calls. A key player will get a double T, then a T for waving his arms? Out of the game, game over.

I think the league office is putting too many of their fingerprints on the game while it is on the court. Let the officials and the players have their say, if all sides agree then there is no issue. But I am sure that there will be players that feel this is going too far.
praneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #45
LA KB24
LAL|LAC

LA KB24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toizumi
Looks like Sheed retired on time
He'll be back for the playoffs.
LA KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: