Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #46
markymark
Local High School Star

markymark has not been impressing people
Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspynchon
This is a great idea. I find guys like Kobe who basically spend the entire game barking at the refs to be unwatchable. It detracts for the game and hopefully this serves as a good deterrant.

so you want everyone happy and smiling like we're watching shrek?
markymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #47
LA KB24
LAL|LAC

LA KB24 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: :facepalm Refs win, Players lost, and stern has a grin. Technical Fouls expanded..

Simple solution is to hire younger refs who aren't power happy.
Of course this will never happen while Stern is still commissioner.
LA KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 PM   #48
BarberSchool
93 MJ Uber Alles

BarberSchool is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAWN
if a ref Ts up a player for just getting angry at a blown call, the ref should be fined 5 grand.
Exactly.
BarberSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #49
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Ugh, and then David Stern wonders why the NBA is turning into the joke of sports when it comes to officiating.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:52 PM   #50
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Just another tool for Stern and the refs to choreograph (read: fix) games and pick winners and losers....
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #51
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

sounds like one of those rules that by half way through the season everyone will forget it was even implemented. as in, they won't enforce it a whole lot, I'm *hoping* that's the case. kind of like how they were going to ramp up the calls on flopping in the past year or two (can't say I ever noticed), or how they were going to change the official ball (that didn't last long). Just seems like a rule that won't help the game as much as it will take away alot of the emotion. Last thing we should be doing is bottling up a bunch of 6 foot 5 athletic freaks lol.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #52
BallsOut
NBA lottery pick

BallsOut has not been impressing people

Am I the only one that thinks this is a good call? We won't have any players b1tching after calls/no calls allowing them to get back on defense.

If anything, this ones legit. It's the technical given when showing emotions after a dunk that should be rescinded.
BallsOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #53
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsOut
Am I the only one that thinks this is a good call? We won't have any players b1tching after calls/no calls allowing them to get back on defense.

If anything, this ones legit. It's the technical given when showing emotions after a dunk that should be rescinded.
I'm definitely okay with it. Every other level of American basketball seems to roll in this fashion already. High schoolers have to deal with legitimately horrible refs, ditto AAU players, and to a lesser extent, college athletes. In each of these instances, there is no pattern that even remotely resembles what we see from NBA players on missed calls. Horrible calls are made, players deal with them in a respectful manner (or face clear cut consequences if they don't).

I guess if your feeling is truly and honestly that NBA games are fixed, then I guess you can argue for the rights for NBA players to stand up to corruption. I don't feel that way though. Therefore, I think refs try to do their best and I do not see a reason as to why players have to be allowed to yell at them after mistakes. It just feels like poor form.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #54
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

LOL, the only players who were allowed to b*tch and moan after calls still will be able to because they are superstars.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #55
thejumpa
Sonics bandwagoner

thejumpa is considered somewhat coolthejumpa is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

You're right but tons of calls really are wrong and have to be addressed. Also, not everyone slacks on D when talking to a ref about a call. There is nothing wrong with pleading your case or explaining what's going on with you and another player-----as long you aren't slacking on D.

And yeah...like phoenix said, superstars will still be able to ***** based off their rep alone.
thejumpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #56
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Knicks
BS. It's a competitive sport. Emotions run high in the game. That's when players are at their best. I'm guessing Stern never played sports as a kid. I wonder if "excessive" includes just staring at he ref (See: Sheed) or laughing on the bench (See: Duncan).

I have said this a billion times but I'll say it again.

I was on the floor filming that Mavs/Spurs game for my news station. I was about 10 to 15 feet away from Duncan. He was not simply laughing and he is lying when he claims that.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #57
wpdougie2180
Decent playground baller

wpdougie2180 has an OK reputation so far

What I don't get is them addressing the players reaction on bad calls why not address the bad calls instead that would solve the whining by players. Someone mentioned Rasheed earlier in the thread now Resheed foul alot but alot of the time (Finals '10) refs made calls just because of who he is, now why should he be T'd up for reacting to a bad call, how about don't call a foul unless you see a foul. The reason NCAA doesn't have this problem is there refs are better you never hear about a ref fixing a game or impacting the game in college because there is no such thing as superstar calls or reputation calls in college. NBA officials often call fouls they don't even see they call them on the reaction of the player now why shouldn't a player react to that? For an example Game 4 ECF this past year Garnett and Howard get in to it Howard elbows Garnett but the fouls is called on Garnett as Rondo lays the ball up (no basket) the only problem is Garnett hadn't thrown his elbow until after Rondo had lain the ball in so in other words they called the foul before it actually happened, this happens all the time with all teams in the NBA.

Last edited by wpdougie2180 : 09-24-2010 at 06:17 PM.
wpdougie2180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #58
thomaspynchon
Banned

thomaspynchon has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark
so you want everyone happy and smiling like we're watching shrek?

No I want them to just hoop. There's nothing more irritating than a player/coach trying to sway the officiating by constantly barking at the refs.

You'll notice that the USA players don't scream and/or get in the refs' face during international competition. This is how it should be. Everyone knows the NBA is a joke and pretty much fixed, but it is decently enjoyable.

Last edited by thomaspynchon : 09-24-2010 at 07:00 PM.
thomaspynchon is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: