Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-25-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Fantasy Baseball coming to a close

And Fantasy basketball starting up soon. So we're going to have something to play anyway, but I'm curious about the fantasy baseball seasons other people here have been having. Bad luck this year? Good fortune? Did you make the playoffs?

I don't expect many people here to have played it, since it seems basketball fans usually don't like baseball, but I'm still curious about the ones that do. Just figured I'd make a thread for anyone who played and wanted to talk about it.

For me, I entered a 12 team league on MLB.com, and got shafted with the 10th draft slot. On top of that, I'm pretty sure I had one of, if not the worst difference in projected stats to current player pace ratio (meaning, how close they are to meeting their projhected stats) in the entire league due to injuries. Not a good start.

I started off like, 1-6 or something too because of this (rampant injuries to start the season). I retooled my team quickly enough, but was having bad luck, losing a lot of weeks because of facing the team who happened to have the highest scoring week that week seemingly every time. Like I'd have the 3rd-4th best score of the week, but always seem to face the top 1-3 score every week. :\

In any case, it eventually turned around for me, winning like 9 straight games. My current record (and Im in the playoffs now), is 15-9. So after the pathetic 1-6 start, I finished 14-3.

I'm playing the luckiest man on the face of the earth right now. The guy who severely lucked out in the draft with multiple players going 100+ over their projected scores, letting him sail to a league best 18-6 record. Now, even with that, he was lucksacking so many wins. . .like any time he'd have a bad week, he'd play someone with an even worse one. Any time he'd have an average week, it seemed like he'd win by 1-5 points Shit, I even remember the last time my team played his, I was winning by like 10 points, and he had only one guy left to play during a night game and he got 11 points out of him for the win. -_-

So, playoff week ensues. Me vs luckiest man on the face of the earth (Lou Gehrig I like to call him). As soon as the week starts, I find out 3 of my players are reportedly injured. Shortstop: Jimmy Rollins, out for season. Great. Luckily I found out in time and replaced him with a FA; however, Joe Mauer, apparently out for season. Now I have no catcher. Bourne injured. - one outfielder. About a month ago I lost my best player (Kevin Youkillis) to injury too. oh, and Chipper Jones too.'

At this point, my team barely has any guys I started the season with. Only five to be exact, and one's on the DL and one's apparently out for season.

In any case, it looked bleak. No catcher (who was my top draft pick) means a big 0 out of that position for the week. To make matters worse, Lou Gerhig was on fire to start the week, getting a ton of points out of the Phillies' pitching staff. Not to mention great weeks for A-Rod, Crawford, Markakis, and Stephen Drew. So I basically just closed it and figured I wouldn't check until the weekend. But damn did things turn around.

Jose Bautista, Kelly Johnson, and my Giants' pitching staff are carrying my team to the tune of 163 points from them alone.

Jose Bautistia : 8-14, 5 jacks, 7 RBI, 8 runs, 5 walks.

Kelly Johnson: 9-22, 3 jacks, 6 RBi, 4 runs, 1 SB

Vlad: 9-26, 2 jacks, 8 RBI.

Combined Pitching: 4-1, 0.68 ERA, 0.54 WHIP, 44 Ks, 2 shutouts

I'm now destroying the other guy, and will be battling the other guy who wins vs the other team next week for the win. If I win, it'll be the 2nd year in a row. Luckily I have time to switch out Mauer for a non injured catcher to give myself a good chance and not have to hope for Bautista to keep being my hero, and not have to hope for the Giant's to pitch like God's father again just to eek out a win.

On another note, at this pace I might end up with the most points scored in a week for this league this season, and all without a catcher. Lucky.

So how'd your guys' season shake out?
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Fantasy Baseball coming to a close

funny you should ask, i was just looking at my expected finish

"fighting" for bronze.

i had the 1st pick in the draft (Hanley Ramirez) & had a great regular season (1st place all summer).

i got a buy for the 1st round, and then was promptly kicked in the head by the fourth seed.

Ramirez did not pan out, but Konerko & Zimmerman had great years.

Wainwright, Latos & Weaver pitched great. although, Latos was brutal when i needed him most.

Greinke & Papelbon were drafted too high. what an ugly year they've had. smh.

oh well, fantasy baseball still kicks ass.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
SinJackal
Banned

SinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSinJackal is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ouch man. Yeah I had the same issue with people not panning out. Nobody would trade with me too, to make matters worse. I had to "trade" with the free agent list all season, replacing my dudes with cast offs and scrubs nobody wanted.

Bronze isn't bad though, it means you were a win away from first! :P

First pick in the draft though, damn you're lucky. >_< I've never had the first pick. My best draft slot was 2nd (last year), and I grabbed Pujols with it.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinJackal
Ouch man. Yeah I had the same issue with people not panning out. Nobody would trade with me too, to make matters worse. I had to "trade" with the free agent list all season, replacing my dudes with cast offs and scrubs nobody wanted.

Bronze isn't bad though, it means you were a win away from first! :P

First pick in the draft though, damn you're lucky. >_< I've never had the first pick. My best draft slot was 2nd (last year), and I grabbed Pujols with it.

i should've picked Pujols this season

and Greinke really hurt. Halladay (my favourite player) was available.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
SinJackal
Banned

Damn, closest baseball week for me this season again (against the same guy as last time).

Last time this clown I'm playing was down by 8 with only one game of the week left to play, got a 3 run jack from A-Rod to tie it up, then won by 1 point on a 9th inning single from A-Rod (I had the tiebreak won if he didn't get the damn single).

Now i'm playing the same guy again for the world series bid, and it's tied right at the end of the week. My catcher was injured at the beginning of the week (meaning I couldn't replace him 'til the week was over), so I got 0 points out of him and the other dude got 10 out of his to lead to the tie. Looks like I win the tie break though, so I go to play for 1st place next week. Talk about close!

Edit: Never mind, A-Rod didn't play yet. If he gets even a single, or a walk, I lose. He had A-Rod last, the last time we played and I lost 'cause of him. :\ Dammit. Frickin deja vu.

Last edited by SinJackal : 09-26-2010 at 08:12 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: