Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-26-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default BS I'm sick of hearing: No millionaire athlete should ever bring up slavery as...

any kind of comparison to his present situation.

No, Mr. Haynesworth, the 100-million dollar contract you signed doesn't mean you have to go to the offseason conditioning program, and although it does contractually obligate you to go to minicamp it's not the same as slavery, so, ok, you can skip that too. But I absolutely hate to hear a grown man who has just signed himself a 21-mil bonus make this much of an issue out of a defensive scheme involving the front 7 players. To equate being ordered to change position with slavery is the height of ignorance. Never should any pro athlete act like what they do is in any way comparable to what the slaves that came to this country or, in fact, still exist in this world (and on the D.L., this country) endure and endured. A player that would have switched without skipping mandatory camp doesn't lack "backbone," Mr. Haynesworth, he just has at least a small sense of integrity, which you apparently lack.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
BRabbiT

Default Re: BS I'm sick of hearing: No millionaire athlete should ever bring up slavery as...

Quote:
"I mean, I'm not for sale. Yeah, I signed the contract and got paid a lot of money, but ... that don't mean I'm for sale or a slave or whatever."

BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Younggrease
Banned

Default Re: BS I'm sick of hearing: No millionaire athlete should ever bring up slavery as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
any kind of comparison to his present situation.

No, Mr. Haynesworth, the 100-million dollar contract you signed doesn't mean you have to go to the offseason conditioning program, and although it does contractually obligate you to go to minicamp it's not the same as slavery, so, ok, you can skip that too. But I absolutely hate to hear a grown man who has just signed himself a 21-mil bonus make this much of an issue out of a defensive scheme involving the front 7 players. To equate being ordered to change position with slavery is the height of ignorance. Never should any pro athlete act like what they do is in any way comparable to what the slaves that came to this country or, in fact, still exist in this world (and on the D.L., this country) endure and endured. A player that would have switched without skipping mandatory camp doesn't lack "backbone," Mr. Haynesworth, he just has at least a small sense of integrity, which you apparently lack.

Im not familiar with the argument but many scholars do compare pro sports to slavery. Obviously its not the same, but I assume that Haynesworth read the book and misinterpreted it.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 AM   #4
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

This might do down as one of the worst signings in NFL history. He's probably the greatest example of the post-contract signing worst case scenario.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I dont see how he is being treated as a slave. He recieved a damn roster bonus for $21,000,000 with conditions attatched. You show up to the offseason workout program. Mandatory camp. Practice. Be apart of the 3-4 scheme. Those are things he agreed with or Wash would have never given him that roster bonus. They would have moved him. You cant take the bonus then say I'm not a slave so I refuse to do all those things. The whole backbone thing is funny. Where was your backbone before you accepted that roster bonus? I got 21 million reasons where it went Albert.

Unless Mike Shanahan lied or didnt tell the whole truth about why Wash gave you $21mil. Unless London Fletcher was envious of you when he said you were a selfish teammate and it showed last season. I mean what argument does he have to support all he has said? Slaves didnt have choices. Albert does and he got over $30mil for not even 2 seasons. What is Albert being asked to do that no one should? To meet the expectations of that contract you signed? I'm really lost here at the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
This might do down as one of the worst signings in NFL history. He's probably the greatest example of the post-contract signing worst case scenario.

Agreed.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
"Just because somebody pay you money don't mean they'll make you do whatever they want or whatever."

I think it's a shame most of these athletes have never had to work a real day in their life. I make 1/3635273975385th of what you get paid and do what my boss tells me or I get fired...I'm a slave now? I get told to do real work, not play nose tackle. Stop bitching.
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content

If he feels so mistreated, why doesn't he file a grievence with the players Union? Maybe he realizes just how full of crap he is.
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Im not familiar with the argument but many scholars do compare pro sports to slavery. Obviously its not the same, but I assume that Haynesworth read the book and misinterpreted it.
Many scholars are race-baiting idiots. A slave has no choice in what they do, will often be forced to live in inhumane, unsanitary, unhealthy conditions, will often be malnourished and when they're fed the food is not something they get to pick either. Their owner doesn't pay them any, or very little money. To keep them from escaping, rebellious slaves have had limbs cut off and slaves historically have been chained up to make sure they don't wander off. Failure to comply with the terms of a contract may get a player a suspension or a fine or whatever. That can be a downer, but no one is whipping you, shooting you, or hanging you.

You could possibly compare pro contracts to indentured servitude, which would merely be a wild exaggeration instead of completely idiotic, but that comparison would still make you a bit of a jackass.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I think it's a shame most of these athletes have never had to work a real day in their life. I make 1/3635273975385th of what you get paid and do what my boss tells me or I get fired...I'm a slave now? I get told to do real work, not play nose tackle. Stop bitching.
Actually disagree with the bolded part. Did you ever play HS football? I did. Vomited after the first day of practice and nearly fainted from the combo of fatigue and heat. The weightlifting, film study, running, remembering the plays and practicing to execute them correctly, all of that is real work that takes a lot more out of you than sitting at a cubicle (I've done that too) and the HS level is nowhere near the training of an NFL player. But I do agree with the rest.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch67
If he feels so mistreated, why doesn't he file a grievence with the players Union? Maybe he realizes just how full of crap he is.
The players on his own team don't even have his back on this.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
PowerGlove
By Any Means

If Steve Smith said it I probably wouldn't be as upset.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
the GIBBET
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease

I believe what you mean is many people who are trying to make money off a controversial topic.
the GIBBET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the GIBBET
I believe what you mean is many people who are trying to make money off a controversial topic.

not really, I know a couple who have made the argument in my presence(I really think they believe it). They arent about the money, they are just generally interested in the subject. I just have never challenged them because they are so long winded and I didnt want to sit through there reply.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
Eggy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Lol. what?
Eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
beermonsteroo
Banned

No body should bring up slavery in the year 2010 anyway
beermonsteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: