Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-26-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: BS I'm sick of hearing: No millionaire athlete should ever bring up slavery as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermonsteroo
No body should bring up slavery in the year 2010 anyway

Yes.

Unless when talking about actual slavery which still exists.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:35 PM   #17
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputation
Default Re: BS I'm sick of hearing: No millionaire athlete should ever bring up slavery as...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Actually disagree with the bolded part. Did you ever play HS football? I did. Vomited after the first day of practice and nearly fainted from the combo of fatigue and heat. The weightlifting, film study, running, remembering the plays and practicing to execute them correctly, all of that is real work that takes a lot more out of you than sitting at a cubicle (I've done that too) and the HS level is nowhere near the training of an NFL player. But I do agree with the rest.
Ehh... I played HS basketball and cross country (all summer 5 days a week had to run 5-7 miles at 830 am with team before season) for four years and, while it was tough, it was fun. Working for an asshole boss is just like school. Its miserable, unfullfilling, no enjoyment, tedious, robot work (accounting major here). Theres really a huge difference.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #18
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Ehh... I played HS basketball and cross country (all summer 5 days a week had to run 5-7 miles at 830 am with team before season) for four years and, while it was tough, it was fun. Working for an asshole boss is just like school. Its miserable, unfullfilling, no enjoyment, tedious, robot work (accounting major here). Theres really a huge difference.

there is a big difference between high school sports and even college let alone pro sports. There is no guarantee that all pro athelets still love the sports they play.

Oh, and working isnt always unfulfilling.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #19
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputationtpols has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
there is a big difference between high school sports and even college let alone pro sports. There is no guarantee that all pro athelets still love the sports they play.

Oh, and working isnt always unfulfilling.
It is for 90% of the population.

And this 'athletes work hard argument' is retarded. If you were to provide a ratio of 'work: pay' you and I would have athletes beat thousands fold.

Most of these guys get 5+ months off from their job. They live the life. Its a joke the overrating of how hard these guys work. Allen Iverson didnt even want to show up to practice. You really think these guys have it rough?
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #20
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The slavery thing is definately a cop out considering there are factory workers in china who sew his jersey for two bucks an hour.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #21
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii

Dwade305 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
The slavery thing is definately a cop out considering there are factory workers in china who sew his jersey for two bucks an hour.

$400 a month ??

Nah is way less than that, more like 50 cents and hour, Best sewer get $1 I believe.
Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #22
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Im not familiar with the argument but many scholars do compare pro sports to slavery. Obviously its not the same, but I assume that Haynesworth read the book and misinterpreted it.
could you cite any of these "scholars"?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
RoTM
Local High School Star

RoTM has an OK reputation so far

Slavery is work without pay, completely the opposite.
RoTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
the GIBBET
Banned

the GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoTM
Slavery is work without pay, completely the opposite.

So is volunteering.

Slavery is actually COERCED work without pay. Playing a sport for a living is neither coerced, or uncompensated. In fact they are probably in the top 3% of salary of people in the world. And you have the freedom to retire any time you want.

Anyone who compares the two is a race-baiting moron trying to elicit sympathy through a false analogy to a sensitive subject.
the GIBBET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by the GIBBET
So is volunteering.

Slavery is actually COERCED work without pay. Playing a sport for a living is neither coerced, or uncompensated. In fact they are probably in the top 3% of salary of people in the world. And you have the freedom to retire any time you want.

Anyone who compares the two is a race-baiting moron trying to elicit sympathy through a false analogy to a sensitive subject.
even those players on a rookie scale are in the top 3% (probably more like a fraction of a %) worldwide. Hanyesworth's salary puts him up in the incalculably rich % (like 0.000001% top earner)
Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #26
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
could you cite any of these "scholars"?

Brandon Paradise - He has brought this up in conversation with me personally.

Professor Paradise earned his B.A. magna *** laude in 2001 from the University of Southern California, where he studied economics and philosophy, and a J.D. in 2004 from Yale Law School, where he served as an editor of the Yale Journal of International Law. Following law school he was a litigation associate with the New York law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz and the Los Angeles office of Sidley Austin, LLP. His research interests are the relationship between legal and personal ethics, the legal profession, legal education, law and theology, and race and the law. His work-in-progress is entitled “Cultural Racism in the Private Sector and Coerced Biculturalism.”

Im sure there are countless more. I just dont want to put someone's name down that Im not sure exactly what they said.

Last edited by Younggrease : 09-26-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #27
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Brandon Paradise - He has brought this up in conversation with me personally.

Professor Paradise earned his B.A. magna *** laude in 2001 from the University of Southern California, where he studied economics and philosophy, and a J.D. in 2004 from Yale Law School, where he served as an editor of the Yale Journal of International Law. Following law school he was a litigation associate with the New York law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz and the Los Angeles office of Sidley Austin, LLP. His research interests are the relationship between legal and personal ethics, the legal profession, legal education, law and theology, and race and the law. His work-in-progress is entitled “Cultural Racism in the Private Sector and Coerced Biculturalism.”

Im sure there are countless more. I just dont want to put someone's name down that Im not sure exactly what they said.
so, in a personal conversation, some lawyer with some academic leanings said this to you? Athletes are no more "slaves" than the entire wage economy of modern capitalism.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #28
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
so, in a personal conversation, some lawyer with some academic leanings said this to you? Athletes are no more "slaves" than the entire wage economy of modern capitalism.

A critical race theorist- who is though of as one of the raising black minds said this.

Unless you read the book any conversation about it is premature. You dont understand how he is defining the term slavery or the argument it presents. I havent read the book so I will not defend it or criticize it.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #29
the GIBBET
Banned

the GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
earned his B.A. magna *** laude

the GIBBET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #30
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
A critical race theorist- who is though of as one of the raising black minds said this.

Unless you read the book any conversation about it is premature. You dont understand how he is defining the term slavery or the argument it presents. I havent read the book so I will not defend it or criticize it.
huh, well I guess we will have to leave it at that. I would be interested as to how athletic contracts are "slavery" but standard salaried jobs are not. From my perspective, there is no difference.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: