Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Horde of Temujin has decent reputation
Default Thoughts on Israeli settlements?

What are your thoughts on Israeli's settlement onto Palestinian land?

I dont understand how many seemingly intelligent Israelis can see otherwise that what they are doing is no better than what the Americans did to the Natives and countless other cases in history. The difference is I feel that as the civilized country Israel holds itself to be they have a responsibility to show some constraint and treat the Palestinians more humanely. Israel should hold itself up to a different standard. A solution can be reached. But these settlements are just kick in the face to the Palestinians, they are still dealing with the forced exile from their parents lands into the West Bank and Gaza, but then they still encroach further and further, infuriating and humiliating even more. While the government openly shuns the continued encroachment of the land they secretly endorse and do little to stop it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/me...ex.html?hpt=C1

Last edited by Horde of Temujin : 09-26-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Horde of Temujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Default Re: Thoughts on Israeli settlements?

bump
Old 09-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Dolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation here

It's not as easy to take the side of the Palestinians when you realize history goes beyond WW2.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
blondie
Da Mamba Lives 30/5/5

blondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this boardblondie has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Maybe if the Palistineans didn't turn down half of Jerusalem when Israel offered it to them a few years ago because they wanted either all or nothing or hadn't elected a terrorist government bent on Israel annihilation, none of this shit would be happening to them.

They are shitting in the hole they dug for themselves.
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
moaz
Great young streetballer

moaz has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin
It's not as easy to take the side of the Palestinians when you realize history goes beyond WW2.
So the Arabs should have Spain?
The Spain/Mexico should have Texas/California?
Austria should have half eastern Europe?
Morocco half of the countries south of the Sahara?
And Kenya should have the whole world since the first people came from their? (according to kobe4life the began with such plan and already have one of them as a president of the USA).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie
Maybe if the Palestinians didn't turn down half of Jerusalem when Israel offered it to them a few years ago .
Israel has never ever offered half of Jerusalem.
Israel just added a lot of the smaller villages and hills from the West Bank to Jerusalem (and built settlements their). in Camp David 2000 (i think that what u refer to) they offered some of these places back (nothing from the old Jerusalem, and not a single guarantee to access the Christian/Islamic holy places). And the Palestinian should gave instead some land from the West Bank.
Btw if the Palestinians agreed, they would have taken this land after 25 years. And as usual Israel had some big If's and In Case's that if happened would delay/nullify the agreement.

pls don't just repeat what u hear in (US) news. If u want to comment on such a complex subject try to read other sources (including Israeli newspapers and TV's). They write with less bias than US media.
moaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
EarlTheGoat
Banned

EarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this board

This thread is far from being controversial. Lets see all this kisses and hugs.

*grabs popcorn*
EarlTheGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Dolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaz
So the Arabs should have Spain?
The Spain/Mexico should have Texas/California?
Austria should have half eastern Europe?
Morocco half of the countries south of the Sahara?
And Kenya should have the whole world since the first people came from their? (according to kobe4life the began with such plan and already have one of them as a president of the USA).

Israel has never ever offered half of Jerusalem.
Israel just added a lot of the smaller villages and hills from the West Bank to Jerusalem (and built settlements their). in Camp David 2000 (i think that what u refer to) they offered some of these places back (nothing from the old Jerusalem, and not a single guarantee to access the Christian/Islamic holy places). And the Palestinian should gave instead some land from the West Bank.
Btw if the Palestinians agreed, they would have taken this land after 25 years. And as usual Israel had some big If's and In Case's that if happened would delay/nullify the agreement.

pls don't just repeat what u hear in (US) news. If u want to comment on such a complex subject try to read other sources (including Israeli newspapers and TV's). They write with less bias than US media.

Quite the opposite. No one group "should" feel an innate right to any piece of land on earth. It comes and goes over time. Hard to accept for a race that lives so briefly however.

It's not Israel's land. It's not Palestine's land. It's controlled by whoever is the dominant force at the time. It's happened many times over, especially there.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
moaz
Great young streetballer

Quote:
It's not Israel's land. It's not Palestine's land. It's controlled by whoever is the dominant force at the time. It's happened many times over, especially there.
Then why should we prevent the Palestinians/Arabs from thinking that it would happen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlTheGoat
This thread is far from being controversial. Lets see all this kisses and hugs.

*grabs popcorn*
I agree. A controversial thread would be something like a thread against Franco/ about the casualties of the Spanish Civil War in Jose Maria Aznar Homepage .
Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Quote:
Then why should we prevent the Palestinians/Arabs from thinking that it would happen again?

I agree. A controversial thread would be something like a thread against Franco/ about the casualties of the Spanish Civil War in Jose Maria Aznar Homepage .

You would want to prevent them from thinking it will happen again (in their favor this time mind you) to avoid further blood shed and so on, which of course must happen on a large scale for Israel to collapse.

But if you don't care or want to see the destruction of Israel....then I don't suggest you do anything to prevent Palestinians and others from believing it will happen again.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
moaz
Great young streetballer

Quote:
But if you don't care or want to see the destruction of Israel....then I don't suggest you do anything to prevent Palestinians and others from believing it will happen again.
I believe if we all care about Israel we should force them to make (fair) peace as soon as possible. They would never have a better chance to get as much as they can from the Palestinians. These are divided and all major Arab countries are in desolate conditions and rely 100% on the US to stay in power. But still can contain and fight against Islamic movements (I don't mean the extremist ones, I mean the moderate ones who can win elections). If such parties would govern Egypt for example, Israel is in big trouble (not facing destruction but getting all the support which it has now).

The sad thing is that I would never trust Netanyahu as an appeasement politician.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
EarlTheGoat
Banned

EarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this boardEarlTheGoat has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:

Is this supposed to offend me?
EarlTheGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Horde of Temujin
Operat.Northwoods=9/11

Quote:
Quite the opposite. No one group "should" feel an innate right to any piece of land on earth. It comes and goes over time. Hard to accept for a race that lives so briefly however.

I agree with you it has always happened, but like i said as a civilized country Israel and the rest of the Western world whom like to think of themselves as above all that savagery and better than the Muslim world should be looking to set a standard, not resorting to the same tactics.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #13
moaz
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlTheGoat
Is this supposed to offend me?
No. I was once in a room where 2 Spanish students (from Valencia and Madrid) had a discussion about modern Spanish history. That was funny ( sometimes even surreal). U think u know someone .....
Old 09-26-2010, 06:06 PM   #14
the GIBBET
Banned

the GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this boardthe GIBBET has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Personally I don't care if these sides beef and kill each other because its not our business. If those two sides can't work their problems out, why the hell should we worry about it? It's not our problem to worry about.

But if I had to pick one side to triumph, it would be the Israeli's because the Middle East is a beautiful, historical, important part of the world and I feel that it would be a lot more civil and safe to visit under the longterm control of the people wearing yamakas than the ones wearing turbans.

Last edited by the GIBBET : 09-26-2010 at 06:08 PM.
the GIBBET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

wait. so your first post uses history "before WW2" to justify the isreali occupation and now you are arguing that historical claims are meaningless and might makes right? Talk about confused.

also, the historical claims of jews to "Israel" is tenuous at best from my perspective. The majority of jews who lived in the middle east 2 millennia ago are more genetically related to the modern islamic populations in the region that most of the jews who emigrated there.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: