Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here
Default Design the optimum team around Wilt Chamberlain

Much has been said about Wilt's teammates, so the point of this exercise is to give Wilt Chamberlain the optimum teammates who will complement his game and give him absolutely everything he needs to compete with the greats. You can choose from anyone who has ever played the game. Choose four teammates to round out the starting lineup, and three men for the bench. (You're not really going to go beyond an 8-man rotation anyway. You can choose a full bench if you like, but I don't think most people will do that anyway.)

Since there have been several different versions of Wilt, specify which period of time you're choosing for Wilt (I myself would take 1966-67 Wilt, but other opinions may vary). Think about how these players' games will complement Wilt. And explain WHY you've chosen these players. Just listing names isn't as interesting as the explanation behind it (and if you have to explain it, then it shows you've actually thought about it).

There are three caveats.

1) Do not add another fellow competitor for the title of G.O.A.T. The point is to give Wilt the best team for him in which he is the best player. So no Wilt/MJ combinations.

2) Do not add another player who is among his historical competition for G.O.A.T. center. Lots of people try to sneak in another top five center at PF. Don't. The point is to give Wilt a team that would enable him to compete against a Russell-led team, a Kareem-led team, a Shaq-led team, and Hakeem-led team with everyone on equal footing, each with teammates that complement their unique games chosen from everyone ever.

3) Choose no more than two other players who have been MVP at some point in their careers. Since "Big Threes" are all the vogue, the maximum is three players (including Wilt) who have ever been MVP at any point in their careers. (If someone said the optimal lineup is one where every other starter has been an MVP before, then that's ridiculous. Who couldn't win with that?)

So let's see what your ideal team for Wilt would be, that would give him absolutely everything he needs to compete.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
DRoseOwnsACamry
King of Chicago

DRoseOwnsACamry has an incredible reputation hereDRoseOwnsACamry has an incredible reputation hereDRoseOwnsACamry has an incredible reputation hereDRoseOwnsACamry has an incredible reputation hereDRoseOwnsACamry has an incredible reputation hereDRoseOwnsACamry has an incredible reputation hereDRoseOwnsACamry has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Design the optimum team around Wilt Chamberlain

PG: Steve Nash
SG: Reggie Miller
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Wilt Chamberlain

Bench:
Tony Parker
Shawn Kemp
Carlos Boozer
Steve Francis

Lineup plays Great defense with good offense, and Bench plays Great offense with good defense.
DRoseOwnsACamry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
jlauber
3-time NBA All-Star

jlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejlauber is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You mentioned Wilt's 66-67 season. IMHO, give him the same team, over the course of the next six seasons, and have them remain healthy, and Chamberlain retires with a total of seven rings. Of course some idiot will pop in and say that his 67-68 team did not win a championship, but, the reality was, his 67-68 regular season, which went 62-20 and dominated the league, was not the same team in which he had in the ECF's. HOFer Cunningham was injured before the series even started, and then PF Jackon was injured in game five. Despite all of that, they lost a game seven by four points to the Celtics.

So, you could take the same starting five of

PF Jackson
SF Walker
C Wilt
SG Greer
PG Jones

F Cunningham

You will notice that the 66-67 76ers really did not have a true PG. Of course back then, there was no such a thing. Players like Oscar and West were 30 ppg scorers and 8-10 apg passers. BUT, in the 66-67 season (and again in 67-68) it was WILT who led the team in assists (and the entire league in '68 BTW.)

As for the bench, aside from Cunningham, Costello, Guokas, and Gambee basically rounded out the team.

So, maybe I would add Rodman and Nash to the roster. Jackson did spell Wilt at the center position (Wilt played 45 mpg, so they didn't really need a backup center.)

That would be a good start.
jlauber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

PG: Jason Kidd
SG: Rip Hamilton
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Shawn Marion

6. Charles Oakley
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Mark Price

I wanted to pick Tim Duncan or C-Webb instead of Shawn Marion at PF.. but the team may have been too star studded if I'd have done that. Marion should be comfortable playing PF, cleaning up the boards (that Wilt leaves for him) and running the floor. I wanted to pick Ray Allen instead of Rip too.. but I didn't, for the same reason I didn't pick TD or CWebb. Rip would get good looks on this team and he'd score a lot though.. so it's allright.

I take Pip and Kidd because they are great passers and unselfish players. Wilt would love playing with them. Also, Rip and Marion would really benefit from playing with great passers. The team would be good on offense, defense and in transition.

I needed a good bench scorer, who could create for himself and others, so I picked Manu (since that has been his role his entire career). I take Mark Price for some shooting from my PG and Oakley for some toughness and to keep everbody sharp.

Wilt would have room to operate in the post. He has players that can feed him the ball.. but also some good finishers to pass out to. The team is solid defensively and could run when they create turnovers. Wilt would anchor the already great defense this team has.
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Jacks3
Very good NBA starter

Jacks3 has decent reputationJacks3 has decent reputation

Sam jones, hondo, cousy
Jacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Batz
Shit just got serious

Batz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoseOwnsACamry
PG: Steve Nash
SG: Reggie Miller
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Tim Duncan

Bench:
Tony Parker
Shawn Kemp
Carlos Boozer
Steve Francis

Lineup plays Great defense with good offense, and Bench plays Great offense with good defense.
There's only one ball...
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
jlauber
Indeed, that team has proven to be arguably the best in league history. That would be the lineup to mold. Just to give a rough idea of the starting 5:

C: '67 Wilt Chamberlain
F: Horace Grant/Maurice Lucas
F: Paul Pierce
G: Ray Allen (Bucks)
G: Chauncey Billups

Something like that. But it would be very difficult to top the '67 team.
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

C-Wilt
PF-Marion
SF-Pippen
SG-West
PG-Fisher

Team would destroy on D. It compliments wilt perfectly for whatever he chooses to do that season, whether it be go for an assist title, or lead the L in scoring. It has clutch players all around him, and all guys who love winning. Wilt could do whatever he wanted and these players would form around him.

I was thinking of Rodman at PF but I figured that would be too gross, Marion can hit open shots and defend/rebound. And of course run which is all that is needed. He didn't need to be the GOAT rebounder.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

G.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterG.O.A.T is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Here's how I go undefeated for three seasons with Wilt as my centerpiece.

F: Dave DeBusschere - (1969-1973 version)
F: Dennis Rodman (1988-1991 version)
G: Reggie Miller (1997-2000 version)
G: Oscar Robertson (1968-1971 version)

Bench

Sixth Man: Kevin McHale (1983-1986 version)
7th Man: Vinnie Johnson (1988-1991 version)

Reserve Guard: K.C Jones (1963-1966 version)
Reserve Wing: Michael Cooper (1986-1989 version)
Reserve Post: Paul Silas (1976-1979 version)

First you need great shooters all over the floor, so I got Reggie, Oscar and DeBusschere in the starting line-up. You also need guards who can create their own shot one on one because of the attention Wilt will get, so again Oscar and VJ of the bench especially. The McHale, DeBusschere, Rodman trio at forward is very strong defensively which allows Wilt to simply anchor the defense and control the backboard and even on the few occasions he goes out, you still have superb rebounding. Cooper and KC Jones give you a stopper for any type of scoring two guard if Reggie can't handle him and Miller and Oscar make Wilt's job a lot easier in the clutch hitting foul shots and moving without the ball to score.

The biggest thing is the team chemistry. Wilt is a handful, but he's worth it because he's the most unstoppable force the game has seen. All of these guys are veterans except Rodman and McHale, and all of them had proven during the time of their career I selected that they had what it took to be part of a winner, to sacrifice themselves and do what's best for the team.

As long as you have a coach Wilt respects, the winning won't stop.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tried to make a realistic roster

C- Wilt Chamberlain('67)
F- Charles Oakley
F- Bruce Bowen
G- Reggie Miller
G- Mike Bibby ('02)

6th man- Manu Ginobili
Backup center- '86 Bill Walton
Robert Horry

Coach- Rick Adelman

'67 Wilt was a great and willing passer so I thought a scorer/shooter like Miller who could play off the ball would be a great complement as well as a PG like Bibby who was a competent playmaker, but could shoot and play well with great passing centers. Ginobili gives them even more offense off the bench so that Wilt wouldn't have to carry the load.

Oakley at PF because he could hit mid-range shots, he was one of the best rebounders, he could pass(especially his outlet passes) and he was a tough, physical player. I don't see many teams winning the rebounding battle with Wilt and Oakley there and that'd be a deadly fastbreak with those 2 throwing outlets, particularly when Ginobili was in the game.

Bowen could stand in the corner for spacing and give them some lockdown perimeter D, and he'd be the only real perimeter defender they'd need with Wilt and Oakley in the paint.

Walton was there so they could rest Wilt and still get a post presence, rebounder and great passer.

And because of the passing big men, I'd want Rick Adelman coaching whose offense in Sacramento was my favorite of all time.

Bibby was also huge in the clutch when the Kings nearly won a title, and Miller continually did it throughout his career. Ginobili has also proven himself as a clutch player, same with Horry who would also provide defense, versatility and a stretch 4.

That many shooters and clutch players would cover up Wilt's main weaknesses, IMO.

I thought it'd be boring to make a team even with 2 other MVPs like Kobe and Barkley alongside him.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

hayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhayden695 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
Tried to make a realistic roster

C- Wilt Chamberlain('67)
F- Charles Oakley
F- Bruce Bowen
G- Reggie Miller
G- Mike Bibby ('02)

6th man- Manu Ginobili
Backup center- '86 Bill Walton
Robert Horry

Coach- Rick Adelman

'67 Wilt was a great and willing passer so I thought a scorer/shooter like Miller who could play off the ball would be a great complement as well as a PG like Bibby who was a competent playmaker, but could shoot and play well with great passing centers. Ginobili gives them even more offense off the bench so that Wilt wouldn't have to carry the load.

Oakley at PF because he could hit mid-range shots, he was one of the best rebounders, he could pass(especially his outlet passes) and he was a tough, physical player. I don't see many teams winning the rebounding battle with Wilt and Oakley there and that'd be a deadly fastbreak with those 2 throwing outlets, particularly when Ginobili was in the game.

Bowen could stand in the corner for spacing and give them some lockdown perimeter D, and he'd be the only real perimeter defender they'd need with Wilt and Oakley in the paint.

Walton was there so they could rest Wilt and still get a post presence, rebounder and great passer.

And because of the passing big men, I'd want Rick Adelman coaching whose offense in Sacramento was my favorite of all time.

Bibby was also huge in the clutch when the Kings nearly won a title, and Miller continually did it throughout his career. Ginobili has also proven himself as a clutch player, same with Horry who would also provide defense, versatility and a stretch 4.

That many shooters and clutch players would cover up Wilt's main weaknesses, IMO.

I thought it'd be boring to make a team even with 2 other MVPs like Kobe and Barkley alongside him.
Great team and explanations shaq. I wanted to make a team similar to yours, but I was too lazy lol.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #12
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here

Some good responses.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
F- Charles Oakley

Another outstanding selection at the big forward slot as well as Dave DeBusschere by GOAT. If only Oak could jump a bit more and block some shots he'd be the easy selection for me.

At the PG I basically was looking for a player in the mold of Costello/Jones, someone who could play defense, catch & shoot, and drive. Billups is a good example of this and one of the strongest guards in the league. SG basically looking for a great shooter who could also play the point guard if needed and spot up. IMO Bucks Ray Allen was a proper selection. Chet Walker from what I have seen and Paul Pierce seem to be similar as they are both big small forwards who at peak form would be unstoppable in an iso on the wing, both very deceptive with their footwork and could drive, defend, and score on anyone. He is also available (as is Allen or Billups) for a last second shot if needed.

Feb 2, 2009

'Walker says he doesn't watch the game that much anymore, but does believe guys work hard at it. He says he enjoys most watching the Spurs and the way they play and has liked watching the Magic this season.

His favorite player today?

"Paul Pierce," says Walker. "He's, to me, the ultimate small forward. Good shot and can put the ball on the floor and get to the basket.
'
Old 09-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
ImmortalD24
Banned

ImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVg8uZ5Wn38

"We had the greatest 1on1 player in Chet Walker playing the other forward position" - Wilt Chamberlain

Damn.. Thats quite a compliment coming from Wilt.
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
PHILA
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalD24
"We had the greatest 1on1 player in Chet Walker playing the other forward position" - Wilt Chamberlain

Damn.. Thats quite a compliment coming from Wilt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpiRo8-aKJc
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: