Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
ImmortalD24
Banned

ImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Design the optimum team around Wilt Chamberlain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpiRo8-aKJc&t=2m17s

When exactly did they make jumping during a free-throw attempt illegal?

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpiRo8-aKJc&t=5m13s

Whats up with the nipple cover?

Last edited by ImmortalD24 : 09-27-2010 at 01:44 PM.
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiVAFBZzTac#t=7m28s

The way Greer did it? As far as I know, it's still allowed as long as you don't cross the line (as Chamberlain used to dunk his free throws in college).
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
ImmortalD24
Banned

ImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation hereImmortalD24 has an incredible reputation here

I might be wrong.. but I think it's illegal today. I don't remember seeing a guy jump like that when attempting a free-throw.
Quote:
as Chamberlain used to dunk his free throws in college

Question: Why would one exert that much energy on a free-throw attempt by dunking?

And two.. Are there any images of Wilt attempting to dunk during a free-throw attempt?
ImmortalD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
PHILA
Decent college freshman

PHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation herePHILA has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Question: Why would one exert that much energy on a free-throw attempt by dunking?

And two.. Are there any images of Wilt attempting to dunk during a free-throw attempt?

To shoot 100% from the foul line? No photographs that I know of as he didn't do it during a real game, but rather as a freshman since first year students couldn't play for the varsity back then, the committee changed the rule right away.

Toldeo Blade - Nov 28, 1956

'It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop.

Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic.

"Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed."

Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."
'

Larry Brown & Sonny Hill discussing the rule changes over the years to hinder him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDFppbQ2zM#t=0m53s
PHILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

C. Wilt Chamberlain
PG John Stockton
PF Larry Nance
SF Scottie Pippen
SG Darrell Griffith

John Stockton doesn't need many points and loves to dish the rock. Pippen provides a 2nd great defender, attacker, and ballhandler. Larry Nance is a PF that can stretch the defense with his jumper and he’ll pick up what few rebounds Wilt doesn’t get. Griffith provides athletecism from the 2 spot. All of these guys can finish strong at the rim except Stockton. The 3s would come from Stockton and Griffith.
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
j3lademaster
I get superstar calls

j3lademaster is a pretty well-respected posterj3lademaster is a pretty well-respected posterj3lademaster is a pretty well-respected poster

pg Mark Price
sg Michael Cooper
sf Bruce Bowen
pf Robert Horry
c Wilt Chamberlain

bench Dennis Rodman, Theo Ratliff, Steve Kerr, Dell Curry
j3lademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
glidedrxlr22
Dont H8 the Laker H8er

glidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation hereglidedrxlr22 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3lademaster
pg Mark Price
sg Michael Cooper
sf Bruce Bowen
pf Robert Horry
c Wilt Chamberlain

bench Dennis Rodman, Theo Ratliff, Steve Kerr, Dell Curry

That would be a monster defensive team....but enough scoring from anyone else but Wilt?
glidedrxlr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #23
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would like versatile athletic players that could run or play the half-court game.

Mark Price - Back up you're dead! Versatile, Smart, long range shooter.Toizumi put him in my head and I can't shake him.

Micheal Cooper - defense and long range bomber, smart, versatile and can run.

Terry Cummings - versatile tough and can run.
Danny Manning - Smart versatile, can pass, can run.

Bench
John Starks - Tough, and picks his spots.
Nene
Robert Horry
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
j3lademaster
I get superstar calls

j3lademaster is a pretty well-respected posterj3lademaster is a pretty well-respected posterj3lademaster is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
That would be a monster defensive team....but enough scoring from anyone else but Wilt?

Yeah maybe I should go with Reggie Miller and bring Cooper off the bench. Thanks for the heads up. Another weakness I realized middle of making this composition was weak transition offense(but I'm banking on Wilt really being as fast as everyone says- the clips I've seen of him never displayed his fullcourt speed and I'm wayyyy too young to have seen him live). If prime Wilt is as fast as people say transition shouldn't be a weakness at all.
j3lademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #25
La Frescobaldi
I brick nerf balls

La Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputationLa Frescobaldi has a terrific reputation

G Sam Jones - most clutch player in NBA history, great defense, high bbiq
G is Kobe DQ because he is in the GOAT argument? I say no, so here he is
F same question about Larry Bird
F Dan Issel - terrific power, fast, great rebounder and scorer
Bench: Logo, LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Havlicek
P.S. I don't know that my starters are necessarily better than my bench guys
La Frescobaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #26
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

One thing I wouldn't do is pick a guy like Manu off the bench. I understand he's been used in that role, but we're already putting together a starting lineup of all-stars. Having Manu back up an All-Star, All-Pro, Hall-of-Famer is overstacking the team.

I like having Jason Kidd as the PG, as he's unselfish and he's the ultimate leader...but he isn't a good shooter...Billups is, but he won't push the tempo as much and I'd like someone who would. I thought of Mark Price and I like that one...tho maybe I like Kidd more...John Stockton might be the best choice, as he's a passer first and a great shooter...but he's a passer and playmaker who executes and doesn't function as a fulcrum...he plays like he's a piece in the puzzle. He just so happens to be one of the best players ever. I think I'd take him.

I think I like Manu as the SG...or Reggie/Rip...Rip is a mid-range guy and Wilt played with those guys...but Reggie's range is remarkable...thinking...but definitely not John Starks...the last thing John did was pick his spots lol.

SF...why not just stick with Chet Walker? Or do we have to pick non-Wilt teammates? BTW, Larry Bird is definitely not eligible lol. Chet Walker would be my choice. If I wasn't allowed to pick him then I'd pick Scottie Pippen...in which case I would pick Manu as my SG.

PF...I love the Oakley pick. That's who I first thought of...the other person I thought of is completely different and it's Ryan Anderson. Just because I'm thinking of the dynamic of his partnership with Howard. Maybe we could have him off the bench.

Last edited by Whoah10115 : 04-27-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #27
CavaliersFTW
3-time NBA All-Star

CavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCavaliersFTW is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wilt played 3 incredibly distinct roles under the only 3 coaches that had ever managed to earn his respect and each coach who got his respect and convinced him to change his game reinvented Wilt with staggering results. Each role he was coached to play he did superlatively well so IMO there can't just be 1 cast to create the perfect fit. I'll make 3 teams, with the 3 coaches that Wilt listened too with devastating effectiveness:

25 year old volume scorer Wilt coached by Frank McGuire
*Offensive monster. Period. But neither his game nor he himself fully matured so he'll need a point guard that can make the decisions of where the ball goes (of course with emphasis to Wilt). Defenses will inevitably want to collapse on Wilt so he needs clutch, consistent, and unselfish shooters and slashers on the outside to make the defense think twice. He shoots a lot of fadeaway jumpers putting himself out of position for offensive rebounds when he misses therefore a formidable yet unselfish offensive rebounder must be present to defer right back to Wilt or the PG to reset the play. Wilt will most definitely want to be "the man" since he's younger and a bit more arrogant. His athleticism is ****ing scary and thus, so was his ability to run the floor... He should have teammates that can match his motor and keep up with the murderous offensive pace he's capable of playing at. IMO this athletic Wilt would destroy players with pick and rolls and fast-breaks from outlet passes by his point guard like it's nobodies business.
PG: John Stockton
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Dennis Rodman
6th: Michael Cooper

30 year old point-center Wilt coached by Alex Hannum:
*Staggering combo of fg%, ppg, rpg, and assist numbers. Coached to play the high-post on offense and defer to teammates to keep them hot so his team will need to be solid shooters and slashers, and they all need to be good at moving off the ball while it is in Wilt's hands looking for them to be open. He needs his power forward to be flexible enough to move to the low-post while he plays high-post on offense.
PG: Tony Parker
SG: Jerry West
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Tim Duncan
6th: John Havlicek

35 year old low-post defender Wilt coached by Bill Sharman:
*100% most unselfish Wilt there has ever been, unconcerned if he even touches the ball on offense - plays monstrous D and fills any holes on the team strictly to win. Willing to go everywhere on defense, in footage of him in the 72 finals he even guards Clyde Frazier from way out in the perimeter. He's the hungriest man on the floor for rebounds, he will shut down guys who try to penetrate to the hoop period. If one was to throw in elite perimeter and all around defenders the team would absolutely shut down the floor. One of the greatest outlet passers and screen setters in NBA history, so all teammates should be lightning fast. The defense is so significant for the team I picked below that the offense should be fine flowing primarily through 2 (MJ/Pippen) + 6th (Havlicek)
PG: K.C. Jones
SG: Michael Jordan
PF: Bill Russell

IMO these teams =

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 04-27-2012 at 12:28 AM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #28
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Some of these teams doesn't need Wilt to win.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #29
PickernRoller
2/5

PickernRoller has not been impressing people

Wilt, Lebron, Jordan, Timmy, Magic....Lebron surely gets a ring....
PickernRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #30
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Wilt played 3 incredibly distinct roles under the only 3 coaches that had ever managed to earn his respect and each coach who got his respect and convinced him to change his game reinvented Wilt with staggering results. Each role he was coached to play he did superlatively well so IMO there can't just be 1 cast to create the perfect fit. I'll make 3 teams, with the 3 coaches that Wilt listened too with devastating effectiveness:

25 year old volume scorer Wilt coached by Frank McGuire
PG: John Stockton
SG: Ray Allen
PF: Dennis Rodman
6th: Michael Cooper

Based on your logic, I think you have your team completely wrong. Dennis Rodman is an ugly fit next to Wilt, in any case. This is a perfect situation for a guy like Ryan Anderson. Wilt wants all the space for himself and therefore the floor should be stretched, with Anderson doing what he did this year with Dwight (and he could be an all-star if he continues playing like this and Dwight actually plays hard). The other guy is Charles Oakley, as he wouldn't let Wilt slack with attitude. And they would own every rebound. Plus, Oakley's outlet passing is elite and he was such a smart player. Also, one of the best defenders of all-time. He's my ideal guy, with Anderson off the bench.

Scottie, I like...Ray Allen...I would rather a true catch and shoot guy and so I would take Reggie Miller. And he spreads the floor.

At PG, this is Jason Kidd's, all the way. If this Wilt needs a leader, then who else? Other than Magic Johnson and Bill Russell (followed by Steve Nash and Kevin Garnett), who is a better leader than Kidd? This is a guy who would love never shooting and racking up 19APG. He'd run the floor and he'd make Wilt run his ass off. Definitely the correct choice.

Quote:
30 year old point-center Wilt coached by Alex Hannum:
PG: Tony Parker
SG: Jerry West
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Tim Duncan

Duncan is a terrific choice. Larry Bird...Larry is part of the undisputed 6 so he cannot be on this team.

Jerry West is a terrific choice. And keeping with him and Duncan, I would recommend either your 6th Man (I really don't think you can have Havlicek as a 6th man on a team as already stacked as this) or Scottie Pippen. The only issue with Pippen is that he is not a good shooter. But I actually really like Havlicek here. I thought of him before even looking at your list.

At first, I thought twice about Parker. But Parker and West would thrive playing with each other. The other option at PF is Charles Oakley, again. He's a good passer out of the post and able to find cutters and excels in any PF/C partnership. He's a good answer for any player.

Quote:
35 year old low-post defender Wilt coached by Bill Sharman:

PG: K.C. Jones
SG: Michael Jordan
PF: Bill Russell

IMO these teams =

You have to change that. Bill Russell is in the great 6 and he's not a PF and there's no reason to think (other than him being great) that he could really play PF. That's completely against the rules. Reread the OP.

This Wilt is not a contender for GOAT, so I guess you could pick Jordan...tho I don't know if you could pick him and Magic (I realize you didn't pick Magic).

If this Wilt, who doesn't care if he touches the ball and is all about defense...then how can the answer be anyone but the greatest PG who has ever played? The fact that Wilt is a monster on defense, able to cover all switches and gaps...perfect for Magic, as his best defense was him being free to reach and jump into passing lanes. Wilt's got him covered.

If no GOAT candidates are allowed...John Stockton. Easy

Michael Jordan...nuff said. It would be a backcourt dominant team. Only issue is can you have two (or even one)GOAT candidates on one team. If not, I would consider Manu. Or maybe Ray Allen.

Scottie Pippen...All-around and versatile defender...so I like that. If I have Magic and Michael then maybe not. I could consider Chet Walker here, or Paul Pierce (who I would also consider at SG), or Elgin Baylor (his teammate during the era, so maybe that's not allowed?).

At PF...With Wilt not being interested in touches...I would look at Karl Malone. Able to stretch the floor, able to run the floor, the pick n' roll, and either post or elbow. Can do everything. Very good defender with great hands under the basket, great rebounder, great passer, unselfish, and could take the scoring reigns.

If not him, then Charles Oakley. Because Charles works all the time.

Last edited by Whoah10115 : 04-27-2012 at 01:08 AM.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: