Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Sacha Baron Cohen is, like pure evil.

you're Kazakh. you live in the second-biggest post-USSR "stan," a state with a literacy rate that is HIGHER than the United States (. and the first time most people in the West will hear of your country is in a movie where they are painted as utter simpletons. when they're actually more thoroughly educated throughout their population than America is!

Sacha Baron Cohen could have easily made up a nation. he didn't have to use Kazakhstan. first of all he could have used a nation that was actually backward, as opposed to one of the most educated countries in the East. but he could have made one up. sure it might be harder to get interviews set up that way, (like the one with Alan Keyes... he's a presidential candidate so I hope he knows what is a country and what isn't). but now an entire country is made to look like a bunch of fools when in reality they're smarter than we are.

maybe that's supposed to be the joke. maybe it's a little "inside joke" to those who actually know a thing or two about the world outside their own countries. but I doubt it. I think it's just ignorance spreading ignorance.

but that was one thing. this is another entirely-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...icle_id=415871

good job bum. you could have EASILY produced this movie without demeaning a whole town but you just had to do it right? you could have easily fulfilled your promise, given them a bunch of money, told them your purpose and they still probably would have done it. people outside Europe and the US aren't allergic to humor. but no. couldn't do it. had to **** them over.

I thought the movie was hilarious, and given that the scenes in "Kazakhstan" (it wasn't actually) were the least funny and least necessary of the entire movie, was this really necessary?
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

yes. That movie was damn funny. Kazakh gets 6,000 tourists a year so not many at all. MY dad has been there a couple of times and says he likes it and people are really nice. Although it was really funny, people are stupid to believe that kazakh people are actually like that based on that movie
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

did you read the article? this isn't even about Kazakhstan. that was minor. guy actually found the most backward town he could come up with, that wasn't even in Kazakhstan, and expolited it. not "exploited" like he did in his America part. he actually promised them things and lied to them about why he was there, then made them look horrible in front of an audience of millions and millions of people worldwide. and paid them table scraps for their dignity.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here

o ok ill read it. i just read what u posted
Old 11-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Hawker
Banned

lei=romanian money.

So this village mustve been in romania
Old 11-25-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/cov..._speaks/page/2

it's just how you take it...as cohen says in article above:"The joke is not on Kazakhstan. I think the joke is on people who can believe that the Kazakhstan that I describe can exist -- who believe that there's a country where homosexuals wear blue hats and the women live in cages and they drink fermented horse urine and the age of consent has been raised to nine years old."
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

fine Sharas. now defend what happened in that article.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
eurobum
High School Varsity 12th Man

eurobum has no real reputation yet.

"Sacha Baron Cohen could have easily made up a nation. he didn't have to use Kazakhstan."

That's the point. Alot of Americans don't know anything that goes on beyond their own boarders, maybe politically but definitely not culturally. Cohen exposed alot of Westerners for their utter ignorance. I think the point comes across better when it's an actual country.

And while I do think the Blod thing was cruel, he's made it a point not to set things up. The woman that booked for the news show where he interrupts the forecast and sh*t was eventually fired. Her boss questioned her ability afterwards, which eventually led to her breaking down and being fired.
eurobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
Hawker
Banned

Well this teaches a lesson in life, get a good education so you're not poor and get exposed by sasha cohen.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
eurobum

No, the lesson is enlighten yourself. There are other people in the world than you.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
Hawker
Banned

ya i kno. i have been out of the USA many times. I agree it is bad that this happened but there are worser things than this.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #12
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Give me a break. Everyone who was set up wants a piece of this now cos they all feel like dumbasses. Second and 3rd world nations are exploited everyday for our benefit but I don't see you moanin' about your car, clothes, food, etc.

He never made any false promises for compensation. Not exactly ethical, but whatever.
DeuceWallaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:01 PM   #13
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
fine Sharas. now defend what happened in that article.

i don't defend how he tricked residents of that village...if it's true i find it really disgusting...i just generally wanted to say that joke of borat is not on kazakhstan, because you mention it a lot and your article has nothing to with it. and no, kazakhstan isn't looking worse because of borat to people who actually know something...america does
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:02 PM   #14
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
Give me a break. Everyone who was set up wants a piece of this now cos they all feel like dumbasses. Second and 3rd world nations are exploited everyday for our benefit but I don't see you moanin' about your car, clothes, food, etc.

He never made any false promises for compensation. Not exactly ethical, but whatever.
didn't you write an entire essay on how bad the Chappelles Show was for America because of how it made black people look? and now you're trying to tell me what Baron Cohen did was ok?

he DID make false promises for compensation. did you read the article? you're giving me the "worse things in the world are happening" argument. there is an argument that can be made for sweatshops overseas. its a pretty simple one: they get paid more in sweatshops than they do anywhere else. our sweatshops give them money to live on. its not to American standards but its well above anywhere else to work in those countries. and also the original sweatshops countries are now steadily progressing past third world status, so it's actually good for their development. sure it's exploitation but at least they're getting something out of it. there is no defending this though. because they're humiliated on a national scale and they aren't receiving anything in return.

as far as Cohen's excuse for all this. I buy his reason. but it was a bad idea. why? because it flew over 95% of the audience's head. they didn't detect the second-level satire of the film. they just walked away thinking, "heh, Kazakhstan, total crap country." Cohen's gotta realize that most people aren't as smart as him and they're not going to get it and its not going to work.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #15
eurobum

"as far as Cohen's excuse for all this. I buy his reason. but it was a bad idea. why? because it flew over 95% of the audience's head. they didn't detect the second-level satire of the film. they just walked away thinking, "heh, Kazakhstan, total crap country." Cohen's gotta realize that most people aren't as smart as him and they're not going to get it and its not going to work."

That's only the American audience.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: