Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-25-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Hawker
Banned

I know he gets Americans to say stupid things and look like idiots but i didnt suspect the kazakh satire.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #17
SCY
Put yr guns up

How is he going to set up interviews if he's from a fake country? And if people were dumb enough to think that was a real representation of Kazakhstan, they probably didn't have a glittery image of it begin with.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #18
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Let's slow down a little bit, Kazakhstan isn't Sub-Saharan Africa neither is it Western Europe.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #19
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
didn't you write an entire essay on how bad the Chappelles Show was for America because of how it made black people look? and now you're trying to tell me what Baron Cohen did was ok?

No, I wrote a paragraph about black comedians making fun of their own race as opposed to whites.

Quote:
he DID make false promises for compensation. did you read the article?

Yes but did you? SHow me the part in the article where they made false promises. They told reporters they donated equipment and such, but the locals denied it. That's it. According to the article no one who participated was told they'd get payment they didn't recieve.

Quote:
you're giving me the "worse things in the world are happening" argument. there is an argument that can be made for sweatshops overseas. its a pretty simple one: they get paid more in sweatshops than they do anywhere else. our sweatshops give them money to live on. its not to American standards but its well above anywhere else to work in those countries.

And did you bother to do the math in this article? The gentlemen said he makes 70 per month and they gave him 3 for a days work. That's more than he would have made doing whatever it is he does. Furthermore, he gave the family 30 for 4 days of shooting. That's nearly half a month's salray for 4 days of using their house for shoots.

Quote:

and also the original sweatshops countries are now steadily progressing past third world status, so it's actually good for their development. sure it's exploitation but at least they're getting something out of it. there is no defending this though. because they're humiliated on a national scale and they aren't receiving anything in return.

Oh really? You sure do talk out your ass a lot. Please show me some studies illustrating 3rd world nations moving towards 2nd world status as a result of sweatshop-esque work? I would be very interested. And they got paid, I'm sure more than any textile factory worker is getting paid in eastern europe.

Quote:

as far as Cohen's excuse for all this. I buy his reason. but it was a bad idea. why? because it flew over 95% of the audience's head. they didn't detect the second-level satire of the film. they just walked away thinking, "heh, Kazakhstan, total crap country." Cohen's gotta realize that most people aren't as smart as him and they're not going to get it and its not going to work.

It's his fault the audience doesn't get it? But I don't even buy that, please show me where you get these statistics. Ninety percent of people think that is a true representation of Kazak? After all the media the Kazak's have been putting out to the contrary the past two years in addition to the fact, I would hope, most people realize this is a comedy, not a documentary. I think that's rather explicit.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #20
SCdac
NBA rookie of the year

This town acts like they were misrepresented in an actual documentary. THAT would be one thing, but only an idiot would think that was actually Kazakhstan, and they were actually Kazakh, or the "documentary", in the end, was legitimate. It's not like they didn't see the "weird" things happening before the movie came out. And it's not like these people weren't getting paid.

I have a hard time seeing Cohen and crew get the same, honest, reactions if he explicitly told everybody what his true motives were/are. It's the name of the game to keep people out-of-the-know. But when it happens, people aren't always happy - tough. Cohen has "exploited" nearly every person he's ever interviewed IMO, let alone the rest of the unknowing participants. I think it's brilliant the way people buy into his act. It's unfortunate they can't take it as a joke, like the audience does, but what can you say.

Quote:
'All those things they said about us in the film are terribly humiliating. They said we drink horse urine and sleep with our own kin. You say it's comedy, but how can someone laugh at that?'

How can someone not laugh at that? These people should take all this with a grain of salt, it was a "mockumentary" after all, not some development by the travel channel. Whether they found that out before or after the fact, doesn't bother me, join the "you got Cohen'd" club. I really doubt this town came out of this whole thing poorer, and worse off, than before.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 04:38 PM   #21
jbot
Future D1 Dad

if you're not from that country than who gives a flying crap? he made a movie that is entirely fictional(his character is fictional) and made up some silly stuff that takes place in that country. it's not like he filmed a true documentary that aired on national tv or something with serious intent to make the country look pitiful. he could come to my hometown and make a film like that and i wouldn't care. most people haven't even heard of that country until now anyway.

there are far more serious issues to whine over than this.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #22
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

I can't believe you people.

this dude made an armless cripple wear a dildo as a replacement, put him in his movie after misleading him as to why, put him in a movie to be seen the entire world, paid him a jokingly small amount, humiliated his entire town, making them looking like a bunch of incestial, barbaric subhumans, makes millions upon millionsof dollars doing this, and you're ok with it, and even better, you're EMOTIONALLY outraged at me for finding some sort of objection with it.

guy has 4 bodyguards around him at all times and won't even sleep in the same region as these people at night, yet he tells in an interview how he's all down to earth. he gets a creative license for everything. hell, he said it himself. he objectifies a whole group of people, but its ok, because he's a satirist, and satirists have a built in excuse for everything. this is ok with you people but me objecting to it makes me a whiner.

these people were portrayed in a light that does not at all represent them. and they were lied to as to why. they never ok'd this and di not receive just compensation. Baron Cohen saw a group of people ne needed to exploit and dit not think twice. he pounced and showed total disdain to these nice people who made him millions of dollars.

you give audiences way too much credit as to their sophistication. when I saw this movie, I did not see this layer of satire, and I waws looking for it. and I'm a pretty smart guy. if I don't detect it, believe me, most other people aren't. if you asked normla people their opinion of Kazakhstan before this movie most people would say "I have no idea." ask them their opinion after and I PROMISE you, it would be overwhelmingly negative. I can understand Cohen's excuse. it checks out. but it isn't valid. people actually DO think this is what Kazakhstan is like. it was purposefully obscure, and this is the only picture 90% of viewers have of an entire nation. and if that weren't bad enough, he even exploited the actors used to create this image.

look. me personally? I don't care less. I wouldn't care less. but these people do. and these people have the right to. they were lied to, deceived, and humiliated in front of an audience that is not sophisticated enough to know any better. as much as you want to carelessly take their rights as human beings away from them. because you just "don't care." there are more important things to "whine" about. of course there are. but that doesnt make it right. and you sure as **** shouldn't be ripping me a new one for bringing it to your attention.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
WuTangWizard
Local High School Star

Sorry Gwiz, but I don't think 95% of Americans think theres a "town rapist" in towns in Kazakhstan
WuTangWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:34 PM   #24
Zombles
Local High School Star

Yeah GeeWiz. It's a ****ing comedy. Meant to make you laugh, not seriously represent Romanian villages/Kazakstahn.

The only serious bits in the movie were the real displays of the ugliness of American society.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:36 PM   #25
Hawker
Banned

america is two oceans away. They shouldnt care as to what we think if they will enver see us
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #26
PureElement
Local High School Star

Quote:
t's his fault the audience doesn't get it? But I don't even buy that, please show me where you get these statistics. Ninety percent of people think that is a true representation of Kazak? After all the media the Kazak's have been putting out to the contrary the past two years in addition to the fact, I would hope, most people realize this is a comedy, not a documentary. I think that's rather explicit.

Have you seen the people that are excited over this comedy? The people who also went to watch Ali G? They aren't exactly the brightest in the world.
PureElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #27
Hurlyburly
Banned

The jokes on the thread starter.

How someone who has an avatar of one of the most tasteless, hateful sitcoms of all time can pull a thread like this is beyond me.
Hurlyburly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #28
shadow
Laker fan here

i doubt anyone took this movie seriously. Until this article I didn't even know the whole town was real. I thought teh guys were actors or something.

I can however understand their POV. I wouldn't want to show up on the camera like that either. But the fact is they got duped. But they really can't be all that dumb and helpless if they are smart enough to get a lawer and sue. They'll probably make money out of it in the end.
Cohen tried to pull a fast one over some people now he's going to lose money(hopefully) because of it. Justice served if you ask me.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:10 PM   #29
craigthomasb
College star

who gives i a **** its a film!
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #30
craigthomasb
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlyburly
The jokes on the thread starter.

How someone who has an avatar of one of the most tasteless, hateful sitcoms of all time can pull a thread like this is beyond me.

"blasphemy"
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: