Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-29-2010, 10:33 PM   #31
MasterDurant24
National High School Star

MasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: All-Time Writers Draft II

Leo Tolstoy is widely considered one of, if not the, best novelists of all time. He serves as an inspiration to nonviolent peacemakers like Gahndi and Martin Luther King Jr, and his War and Peace book is widely considered one of the best books of all time.

By the way, that picture is one of the first color photographs, taken in 1908.

Last edited by MasterDurant24 : 09-29-2010 at 10:41 PM.
MasterDurant24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #32
MasterDurant24
National High School Star

MasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected posterMasterDurant24 is a pretty well-respected poster

I thought you told me to edit my orginal post.

Last edited by MasterDurant24 : 09-29-2010 at 10:39 PM.
MasterDurant24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM   #33
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Bump.

Lets get this thing rollin folks it should be a very interesting one.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM   #34
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Booze is up...or maybe skipped at this point.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #35
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

disappointed in the lack of description in the choices, fellows. sure, "what hasn't been said", but i had planned on discussing that i've read, that i've not, style, tone, all that stuff.

---

i recently read a great article on tolstoy, his estate, his pacifistic tendencies (which i'm not a fan of personally), and connection with gandhi, and his family.

by peter t. white. national geographic vol. 169, no. 6. june 1986.

i couldn't find a link on the web, but i figure it would be pretty easy to find for any academic search engine for those still at college/university. it's a great article. i was lucky to stumble upon a stack of old magazines.
brooks_thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #36
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yes, apparently Booze has a pending pick now, and the commish himself (Fatal) is on the clock.

And yes, let's get this thing going and trigger some debate. Motivate your picks dudes.

Btw, imo the 1st pick couldn't be but MJ... er, Shakespeare, so no negative stereotypes here.

Tolstoj may have come a bit early though.
(That's what she said)
Jasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #37
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

so, third pick huh? Ill make it here in a second. Trying to decide between several worthy choices IMO.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #38
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

brooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputationbrooks_thompson has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Yes, apparently Booze has a pending pick now, and the commish himself (Fatal) is on the clock.

And yes, let's get this thing going and trigger some debate. Motivate your picks dudes.

Btw, imo the 1st pick couldn't be but MJ... er, Shakespeare, so no negative stereotypes here.

Tolstoj may have come a bit early though.
(That's what she said)

you guys ever buy into the shakespeare debates that the works were written as a collective or by other person(s)?
Old 09-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #39
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
so, third pick huh? Ill make it here in a second. Trying to decide between several worthy choices IMO.
man this is tough. trying to decide which authors will drop...... Ill make my pick within the hour, gotta work on some other stuff and IM not ready to commit yet.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #40
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

despite white text on tolstoy, i agree with the non-hidden sentiment. i think there were better or equal russian writers, who might be taken much later or even not at all. BUT popularity counts i guess, which is fair, and he is #1 in russian minds.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #41
brooks_thompson
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
man this is tough. trying to decide which authors will drop...... Ill make my pick within the hour, gotta work on some other stuff and IM not ready to commit yet.

i'm interested to see who the first 'non-classic literature' choice will be (not that you will make it, but in general)
Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #42
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
i'm interested to see who the first 'non-classic literature' choice will be (not that you will make it, but in general)
yeah, im gonna play it safe in this round, but I may pick further down the list than people expect. For me, I dont really look at this as a competition, but a way to discuss our favorite writers and learn about other authors. I also want to cover the breadth of my literary interests.

How many rounds is this?
Old 09-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #43
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Well, although Im leaning towards a top dog type, I am going to pick Marcel Proust as my first rounder.

While his dense "remembrance of things past" can bog you down at times with its slow pace and storyline, the descriptive prose of this was ground-breaking and has never been matched. Other authors may be his equal in story-telling, but his evocation of the senses through his pen is unparalleled.

Ill add some more when I have more time, but I wanted you bums to move on.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #44
Fatal9
owwwww

Fatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFatal9 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

tough decision between three guys, give me 5 minutes...
Fatal9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #45
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Depends on how classic is defined, also. Can't make examples or i'd be dropping names, but you can see what I mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks_thompson
Jasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: