Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #31
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How long do you think you could survive out in the wilderness by yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
In most cases they would be one in the same.
meh, I think I could take you. You may have a broader botanical base, but my understanding of indigenous food resources and the necessary processing methods to detoxify and render different species edible would trump that. In all honesty, I know that I could survive indefinitely in any region of the contiguous US and Mexico.

Last edited by boozehound : 09-30-2010 at 11:27 AM.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: How long do you think you could survive out in the wilderness by yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbot
i helped a buddy at work carry some ice out to his truck. i held a flashlight as he stuffed bags of ice into a deer corpse. that was pretty nasty. i thought to myself that i would have to be starving to kill an animal and dig out it's innards.
then, frankly, you shouldnt eat meat. IMO if you cannot butcher an animal, you shouldnt eat meat.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #33
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
Do I get a knife as well as fire making equipment?
In the bush around here i doubt I'd make it more than a few days. Too many poisonous critters to watch out for.
Wouldnt need it. I can make everything from knives to cordage to clothes out of wildcrafted materials.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #34
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
yeah all of those survival shows at least have knives so you get a knife and a way to make fire. thats pretty much it. and i'm mostly talking around where you live in terms of area.

i swear if i had reality show pull this would be the ultimate survival show. 2 random people going head to head survival in the same area(can't make contact and as far from each other as possible) and a cash prize to whoever lasts the longest. it'd HAVE to beat out all of the current survival shows
that shit is cheating IMO. You should have to do it empty handed
Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #35
Nelson14
Another All Star Year

Nelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation hereNelson14 has a near all-star reputation here

honestly about 10, maybe 15 minutes
Nelson14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #36
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
that shit is cheating IMO. You should have to do it empty handed

that'd be too hardcore imo. even the survival show guys barely survive even with knives and fire.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:36 AM   #37
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
that'd be too hardcore imo. even the survival show guys barely survive even with knives and fire.
dont watch those shows, but where are they? Other than inclement weather (really not having time to gather enough wood and build a shelter before your internal temp drops), they must be *******.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

Quote:
dont watch those shows, but where are they? Other than inclement weather (really not having time to gather enough wood and build a shelter before your internal temp drops), they must be *******.

a lot of the places they do are in rough places, but they go all over the place. Alaskan wilderness, Louisiana bayou, Amazon forests, carribbean deserted islands infested with rats, etc.

they usually need the knife to make their shelters or sleep places. like splitting bamboo or tree wood or some crap like that from what i've seen where a knife is necessary. never seen any of them having to make their own knife tho.

even making fire is really hard a lot of times. half the time they aren't even sure they can make it due to the air being too moist or some crap like that where it makes it hard to find dry twigs, moss, etc. i doubt i could make fire even with dry wood, that friction rubbing 2 sticks together seems rough.

honestly tho i really like watching them hunt/fish. thats my favorite part of those shows where they're desperate to get some meat and either go out with a makeshift spear or makeshift line and hook. its crazy some of the stuff they find out in the wilderness too, like wild pigs or even wild sheep where you'd never expect them. thats my only issue with Survivorman since he tends to live off the plants a lot but its definitely the easier/better way to survive. he had a show where he brought this survival hunter expert with him that had a rifle and he couldn't kill shit. Survivorman basically kept them alive with the plants and nasty bugs/grubs they found. i think a lot of survival is being able to eat some nasty shit if these shows are any indication.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #39
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
a lot of the places they do are in rough places, but they go all over the place. Alaskan wilderness, Louisiana bayou, Amazon forests, carribbean deserted islands infested with rats, etc.

they usually need the knife to make their shelters or sleep places. like splitting bamboo or tree wood or some crap like that from what i've seen where a knife is necessary. never seen any of them having to make their own knife tho.

even making fire is really hard a lot of times. half the time they aren't even sure they can make it due to the air being too moist or some crap like that where it makes it hard to find dry twigs, moss, etc. i doubt i could make fire even with dry wood, that friction rubbing 2 sticks together seems rough.

honestly tho i really like watching them hunt/fish. thats my favorite part of those shows where they're desperate to get some meat and either go out with a makeshift spear or makeshift line and hook. its crazy some of the stuff they find out in the wilderness too, like wild pigs or even wild sheep where you'd never expect them. thats my only issue with Survivorman since he tends to live off the plants a lot but its definitely the easier/better way to survive. he had a show where he brought this survival hunter expert with him that had a rifle and he couldn't kill shit. Survivorman basically kept them alive with the plants and nasty bugs/grubs they found. i think a lot of survival is being able to eat some nasty shit if these shows are any indication.
see, they are coming out of the modern survivalist school. My techniques are derived from native american lifeways. Making an expedient sharp knife out of chert is about the easiest thing to do and can perform most cutting tasks. Its not that hard to make celts (ax heads) and other more specialized tools either.

and, it sounds like they hunt for the bulk of their subsistence?

Making a fire-bow is also pretty easy, as is building a fire with it once you have some practice.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #40
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content

lurch67 has decent reputation

Quote:
then, frankly, you shouldnt eat meat. IMO if you cannot butcher an animal, you shouldnt eat meat.
agreed.
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #41
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
meh, I think I could take you. You may have a broader botanical base, but my understanding of indigenous food resources and the necessary processing methods to detoxify and render different species edible would trump that. In all honesty, I know that I could survive indefinitely in any region of the contiguous US and Mexico.

I know 90% of all plants in the Eastern US (except mid-south Florida) and what parts of them are naturally edible and what needs to be boiled or processed to be safe. I also know animal tracks, scat, and habitat to help locate protein. I'm also good with safe vs poisonous mushrooms. I'm well educated in economic and medicinal botany and have had to take survival classes for my job pertaining to the eastern US. I'd also be plenty safe in the cold up to about southern Canada if I were allowed basic winter gear like they have on most those stupid shows.

Once you cross that river you're in my hood.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #42
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
I know 90% of all plants in the Eastern US (except mid-south Florida) and what parts of them are naturally edible and what needs to be boiled or processed to be safe. I also know animal tracks, scat, and habitat to help locate protein. I'm also good with safe vs poisonous mushrooms. I'm well educated in economic and medicinal botany and have had to take survival classes for my job pertaining to the eastern US. I'd also be plenty safe in the cold up to about southern Canada if I were allowed basic winter gear like they have on most those stupid shows.

fine, its on. winter of 2015. Ill meet you in boone, NC and we'll go from there.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #43
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
i know but it would be different if i were starving.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #44
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Psh, I wouldn't be able to do it. I wouldn't know whats good and not good to eat out there in the jungle.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #45
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

It appears we have another hunter

We can only believe a person until his life depends on it - you can quote me

(by the way I was waiting for this comment)

Last edited by Jasper : 09-30-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: