Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #16
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: NCAA Fans: Think anyone can beat Bama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Not sure what relevance that game has with this season. These are different players and it is a different team.

I am no Ohio State fan, but I truly believe that they are the best team in the country, at the moment. Illinois historically gives them problems. That was no surprise.

What did surprise me was the way that they handled Miami. I still think the Hurricanes are pretty good and Ohio State made them look like a Division I-AA team.

Alabama's offense is good, but their defense isn't even close to what it was last year.

I wasn't talking about them and that game in reference to this season or anything to do with it. I was just having a side convo with Power.

Alabama's defense isn't as good as last year's but their offense is better and even more dynamic. Couple that with a defense, that while young and inexperienced, is still very talented and is continuing to get better and better with each and every game.

Ohio State's resume comes nowhere close to Alabama's resume this season, and I can't see how anyone can say they are truly the best team in the nation with a straight face.

Alabama has a road win over top 10 Arkansas, made top 10 Florida look like a 1-AA team, and did the same to Penn St. I know it's Duke, but they made Duke look like a bad 1-AA team.

Ohio St., so far on the year, has three blowout wins over Marshall, Ohio, and Eastern Michigan. Alabama has blowout wins over Florida, Penn St., and Duke. Tell me which one of those is more impressive?

Ohio St. did make Miami look pretty average, but despite forcing four turnovers, they still only won by 12 at home. If Jacory Harris makes better reads on one or two of those picks, then we might be talking about a completely different ball game. I know for sure one of the INT's was in the endzone.

Alabama has struggled with Arkansas in the past, so if we're going to make that claim about Ohio St. against Illinois, then it's valid for Alabama against Arkansas. Except there's one big difference between those two games this year...Arkansas is a very good team who is a legit top 10-15 team and Alabama "struggled" with them AT Arkansas. Illinois is unranked (wins over N. Illinois and S. Illinois) and Ohio St. struggled with them in the Horseshoe.

So, actually, when you break it down, Ohio State's resume doesn't even sniff Alabama's resume this year. In fact, when you break down schedules, scores, etc. it makes Ohio St. look even further behind Alabama.

That doesn't mean I don't think they are the second best team, but no one can convince me right now that they are the best team in the nation.

Last edited by KG215 : 10-04-2010 at 01:53 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 AM   #17
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Illinois is unranked (wins over N. Illinois and S. Illinois) and Ohio St. struggled with them in the Horseshoe.

I don't like defending Ohio State, but the game was in Champaign, and like RBA said, Illinois has usually played Ohio State tough regardless of ranking. Hell, they beat them in 2007 when OSU was #1. I also think this Illinois team is much improved from last year should be able to get 6 wins this season.

Also, if you watched the game, Ohio State played the most conservative game I've ever seen. I think they could have won by more, but it was windy and they just didn't take any risks. Illinois had their chances, but silly mistakes ended up costing them, along with a questionable penalty and a questionable spot on an Ohio State 4th down conversion.

All that said, Alabama is the best team in the country, and I think they would handle Ohio State.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #18
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

kg,
I wasn't basing Ohio State being the best team in the country on their resume. I was basing it on watching them and the other top teams in the nation and believing that they are the best team.

I've watched Alabama twice this year... Penn State and Florida. They looked OK against Penn State. Honestly, I didn't think that it was a great performance by any means. PSU is really down this year. Their ranking going into the Alabama game was based purely on success they have had over the past few years.

They are probably somewhere in the bottom half of the Big Ten. I would put them behind Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa and probably Purdue and Illinois.

All of that said, PSU actually put up a good fight against Alabama. It was 7-0 at halftime and 'only' 17-0 in the 4th quarter. Considering Penn State threw something like three interceptions and had an unforced lost fumble, that was a relatively unimpressive 24-3 win for 'Bama.

Obviously, they looked great against Florida, but I also don't think that UF is anything to write home about this year... Nor do I think that the SEC is even close to as good as it has been over the last 4-5 years.

There is little doubt who has played the tougher schedule to date, but I just think Ohio State is the more complete team. That isn't to say that they deserve to be ranked No.1. I don't think they do... Alabama has earned their spot with quality wins.

But, I would favor OSU if the teams were to face-off right now.

Btw, despite the relatively close score against Miami, Ohio State totally dominated them. The only reason that Miami was in the game was getting a kickoff return for a TD and a punt return for a TD.

Ohio State was having a very easy time going up and down the field on Miami while the Hurricanes were really struggling completing anything except dink-and-dunk passes... And their running game was a non-factor.

The game was never in doubt.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 10-04-2010 at 02:21 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 AM   #19
KG215

For some reason I thought the OSU/Illinios game was at Ohio St. My bad on that one.

I don't think Alabama is head and shoulders above Ohio St., but once you start breaking down resumes and everything, Alabama has the upper hand. Alabama also didn't have Ingram against Ohio St. FWIW.

I do agree about Penn St. not being a top 25 team. Hell, I don't even think they're a top 50 team right now. Florida is/was a top 20 team masquerading as a top 10 team and finally got exposed last night, but Alabama was still very impressive in beating them like they werea bottom feeder SEC team. I would have Alabama 1, Ohio St. 2, then a bit of a gap, Oregon 3, and another gap to the next group.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #20
Joshumitsu
Local High School Star

Yeah, despite how disappointed I am with them, I don't think any team can beat them right now.

Ohio St. might be able to keep up but I don't think they'd win in the long run.

My team, Oregon, while hot and running, still isn't perfect and if I had to bet, wouldn't last very long against Alabama.
Joshumitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #21
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerGlove
The fact that he's putting a 41-14 ass whooping and 38-24 loss in the same level of disappointment is atrocious. It's not even about the score, Florida raped us. Offensively, Defensively, Ginn was out after running it back, the whole night was a disaster.
The fact that you're reading something into my statement that I never said isn't too great either. No, LSU didn't kick Ohio State's ass as badly as FL did, the only won by two touchdowns. It was "merely" a beating.

But regardless of that oh-so-impressive 14-point loss I have no faith in State's ability to handle the athletes and speed of the SEC elite. Bama's physical lines would push them around and they'd end up getting destroyed. Terrelle Pryor does nothing Troy Smith didn't do before him, and the Gators solved Smith easily enough.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #22
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Alabama's offense is good, but their defense isn't even close to what it was last year.

Good call. Alabama can be victimized by a team with a solid, drop-back passing attack. Arkansas, a team with lots of holes, almost did the trick.

Florida has the personnel, but they're trying to make Brantley fit into a system that doesn't cater to his skill set. He's not Tebow 2. Bamas too fast up front to try and move them around. You're better off playing them pro style.

South Carolina has the system, but I don't like their QB. Too inconsistent.

Likely won't happen in the SEC, the league where offense went to die.

I don't share your enthusiasm for OSU or the Big 10 in general, but I'm sure the cartel will do whatever it takes to make sure they and Bama meet for the Make Believe Title.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #23
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

And just one week later...
Old 10-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #24
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
And just one week later...

GO GAMECOCKS!!!!!

Open the door for those green and yellow DUCKS!!!!!!
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
KG215

Guess so. Now the question is, can someone beat Ohio St. and Oregon so Bama can have a chance to get back in the NC picture.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #26
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Guess so. Now the question is, can someone beat Ohio St. and Oregon so Bama can have a chance to get back in the NC picture.
We normally have a 1-loss highly-disputed Champion (I still hate the BCS, in case anyone forgot/didn't know). But I don't think they can get away with another misstep like LSU did a few years ago. Absolutely must win the SEC.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #27
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215

Oregon always trips up against an inferior opponent, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen this year. Hopefully Thomas is ok. Costa has been ok, but he's no DT.

If our D can improve a tad bit week by week, I don't see anyone beating us.

Ohio St will prolly go undefeated, but mostly b/c the Big 10 is weak this year. Do they play Mich St this year?
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #28
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

By the way,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
South Carolina has the system, but I don't like their QB. Too inconsistent.
was almost a brilliant prediction. No one was calling that one.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #29
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
By the way,
was almost a brilliant prediction. No one was calling that one.

No one was predicting this upset because after the way Bama overcame adversity on the road at Arkansas to get a win, and the way they dominated Florida, most people know picking them to lose is dumb.

However, it's not a huge shock they lost this game. South Carolina has a very good team this year. They are a 4th quarter meltdown at Auburn away from being undefeated and a top 5 team right now. Stephen Garcia played a near perfect game, they had two weeks to prepare for this game, and executed the gameplan to near perfection.

I will admit I was wrong. After the South Carolina game and Arkansas game, Alabama is much more beatable this year than they were last year. Before, I thought Bama's offense was improved enough to kind of make it a wash between last year's team, but their defense took a few steps back today.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #30
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Do they play Mich St this year?

Nope. Big Ten >>>> SEC (Head to Head)

Quote:
Alabama is much more beatable this year than they were last year. Before, I thought Bama's offense was improved enough to kind of make it a wash between last year's team, but their defense took a few steps back today.

Damn near the entire front 7 is new. They were bound to falter sooner or later. Arkansas really exposed them 2 weeks ago. They just didn't have the experience to keep them down

Last edited by Tarik One : 10-09-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: