Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Confidence but not completely

There's something holding me back from really sticking out on the basketball court. It's kind of like a confidence issue but it isn't me being unsure of my abilities. Basically, whenever I play pickup, I rarely play a game where I really use my skills.

I'd say I have a pretty strong set of basketball skills and fundamentals. If it was just raw skills and that only, I'd be there with the varsity players at my school. But whenever we play, my mind automatically goes to the ultra-efficient mindset. So it means that if I don't have a good look and can't quickly beat my man, I pass it off. It's not that I'm afraid to shoot, because I'll pull up whenever I'm open, but I never keep the ball on me long enough to do anything particularly useful. So I never really create any plays or break down my man.

Which means I never get any kind of legit plays. I'm a PG but I don't create. I can, but I usually don't. What exactly am I doing wrong and how do I fix this?
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Confidence but not completely

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
There's something holding me back from really sticking out on the basketball court. It's kind of like a confidence issue but it isn't me being unsure of my abilities. Basically, whenever I play pickup, I rarely play a game where I really use my skills.

I'd say I have a pretty strong set of basketball skills and fundamentals. If it was just raw skills and that only, I'd be there with the varsity players at my school. But whenever we play, my mind automatically goes to the ultra-efficient mindset. So it means that if I don't have a good look and can't quickly beat my man, I pass it off. It's not that I'm afraid to shoot, because I'll pull up whenever I'm open, but I never keep the ball on me long enough to do anything particularly useful. So I never really create any plays or break down my man.

Which means I never get any kind of legit plays. I'm a PG but I don't create. I can, but I usually don't. What exactly am I doing wrong and how do I fix this?

Maybe you should try practicing the plays you could do. I mastered a play about cutting through and then a fake and I either make the shot 90% of the time or dish it off to a open guy while around 2-3 defenders just jumped up in the air. During the other times, I just am like You're teammates could also not be playing the style you want them to play(like an AI :O). You could either adapt into their needs or let them adapt to you(they're varsity so..). Good luck though.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Maybe you should try practicing the plays you could do. I mastered a play about cutting through and then a fake and I either make the shot 90% of the time or dish it off to a open guy while around 2-3 defenders just jumped up in the air. During the other times, I just am like You're teammates could also not be playing the style you want them to play(like an AI :O). You could either adapt into their needs or let them adapt to you(they're varsity so..). Good luck though.

Well I have no problem with doing any kinds of plays, because I know my capabilities are pretty high (not to sound cocky or anything, I know I still have alot to work on), but basically I'm adapting to their needs. The thing is I never play to my fullest ability ever.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Happens to me too. Im just practicing by myself feeling like a star cuz I'm hitting like every jumper and hook. Then when we play pickup the ball feels slippery and I feel a lot slower.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
AJ2k8
Banned

AJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterAJ2k8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Well I have no problem with doing any kinds of plays, because I know my capabilities are pretty high (not to sound cocky or anything, I know I still have alot to work on), but basically I'm adapting to their needs. The thing is I never play to my fullest ability ever.

Sounds like you needa adjust your attitude slightly and realize that the team will only benefit from you being more aggressive on offense and utilizing your capabilities. Obviously you don't want to go out with a "me first" attitude but just gain that mix of passive and aggressive and accept that if you're a PG the occasional turnover is going to happen.

Happens with me sometimes, but sometimes when i reflect on games I've realized that with the squad we had there isn't a more capable offensive player and that playing slightly more aggressive would only benefit the team.
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Well the real question to ask yourself is are you confident enough to do what you want to do? Everybody is confident doing what they know they can do. Give me an open look and I'm letting it fly. I know I can make shots... but I haven't been that confident to just try and take someone off the dribble. I want to be able to do anything on court, so it's a matter of getting better and taking chances. When you get to the point where you are completely reactionary on the court, you have made. Just try not think about things too much... just get the ball and decide right away that you are going to try to break your man down. Try it next time... just wait until you are nice and warm and feeling good... try after a make... cus at least you know you did something well the last time down so if it doesn't work it's not that big a deal. Eventually you want to get past that and just not worry that it didn't work, but you need to take baby steps when it comes to new things.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

sounds like you dont know what you want to be in terms of the role on the court

a lot of time it depends on your teammates in terms on how you want to play. if you need to score, you need to step up, if you need create for your teammates then you need to set up . if u got the skills and fundamentals, you should be out there owning it in regular pick up whether it's scoring or creating a play.

i think you just need to be more aggressive on the offensive end. i know lots of fundamentally sound players that are way too conservative , they rarely TO but they are way easy to guard on defense because i know they wont ever try anything that might risk a TO.

once you get over this hump, it will distinguish whether you are a star player or role player
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller
sounds like you dont know what you want to be in terms of the role on the court

a lot of time it depends on your teammates in terms on how you want to play. if you need to score, you need to step up, if you need create for your teammates then you need to set up . if u got the skills and fundamentals, you should be out there owning it in regular pick up whether it's scoring or creating a play.

i think you just need to be more aggressive on the offensive end. i know lots of fundamentally sound players that are way too conservative , they rarely TO but they are way easy to guard on defense because i know they wont ever try anything that might risk a TO.

once you get over this hump, it will distinguish whether you are a star player or role player

Bravo. That's exactly what it is. People are afraid to make a mistake. The better the people you are playing with, the more afraid they get. The reality is that by not ever making your defender work, he has a lot of energy on the offensive end. Not only that, the best thing you can do to your defender is get them thinking and not confident... So by never going at them, they never have anything to fear.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Bravo. That's exactly what it is. People are afraid to make a mistake. The better the people you are playing with, the more afraid they get. The reality is that by not ever making your defender work, he has a lot of energy on the offensive end. Not only that, the best thing you can do to your defender is get them thinking and not confident... So by never going at them, they never have anything to fear.

Exactly, I'm not sure what it is but I just learned this truly this year.

I was always a varisty/aau level player but never a star, but now after this summer (this is my junior year) its finally clicking for me. Right now I have sequences where I bring it up as point, put it through my legs a few times, give a hesitation and shoot step backs in real league games, something I never did before.

Just keep shooting, working on your game, don't be afraid to miss or make mistakes its just a game. Even the best players miss a lot of shots, and half the kids playing highschool ball are scrubs looking for their shot anyway, so just let them fly. Everytime you get the ball try to score in any way possible.

Good luck to you its a tough hump to get over but it will come with work.
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah, basically it's everything you guys said. I can score and create somewhat, but usually I let the PGs create and the SGs score while I just play last option pretty much. I can play that role nicely also, but I don't feel like I'm maximizing my skills. But when I try and create/score, the other players are kind of just standing there watching so I don't really get anywhere.

I also really hate missing a shot... that and turnovers drive me crazy. So to save time I usually either make a quick move and drive or shoot it, I almost never hold onto the ball for too long. But how would you try and get more involved in an offense? I find that I'm playing the role player because no one else wants to play it and I really don't mind taking the least amount of shots, but I know I can do other things as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

dwadefan11 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Yeah, basically it's everything you guys said. I can score and create somewhat, but usually I let the PGs create and the SGs score while I just play last option pretty much. I can play that role nicely also, but I don't feel like I'm maximizing my skills. But when I try and create/score, the other players are kind of just standing there watching so I don't really get anywhere.

I also really hate missing a shot... that and turnovers drive me crazy. So to save time I usually either make a quick move and drive or shoot it, I almost never hold onto the ball for too long. But how would you try and get more involved in an offense? I find that I'm playing the role player because no one else wants to play it and I really don't mind taking the least amount of shots, but I know I can do other things as well.
"To be successful you have to be selfish." -Michael Jordan
Simple as that
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #12
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
"To be successful you have to be selfish." -Michael Jordan
Simple as that

Yeah I feel you on that, I mean in the end everyone's trying to make it to the next level so sacrifices are going to have to be made... the team game will have to be put second to me sooner or later. It's kind of funny though cause normally people are like you gotta shoot more, drive more and when I start dominating they're like more ball movement.

It's kind of why I like smaller games like 3 on 3, there's more spacing for me to operate and there's less players I have to keep in check/please on my team.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Well the real question to ask yourself is are you confident enough to do what you want to do? Everybody is confident doing what they know they can do. Give me an open look and I'm letting it fly. I know I can make shots... but I haven't been that confident to just try and take someone off the dribble. I want to be able to do anything on court, so it's a matter of getting better and taking chances. When you get to the point where you are completely reactionary on the court, you have made. Just try not think about things too much... just get the ball and decide right away that you are going to try to break your man down. Try it next time... just wait until you are nice and warm and feeling good... try after a make... cus at least you know you did something well the last time down so if it doesn't work it's not that big a deal. Eventually you want to get past that and just not worry that it didn't work, but you need to take baby steps when it comes to new things.
Good advice here.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #14
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Yeah I feel you on that, I mean in the end everyone's trying to make it to the next level so sacrifices are going to have to be made... the team game will have to be put second to me sooner or later. It's kind of funny though cause normally people are like you gotta shoot more, drive more and when I start dominating they're like more ball movement.

It's kind of why I like smaller games like 3 on 3, there's more spacing for me to operate and there's less players I have to keep in check/please on my team.

Just assess the situation man. Get the ball on the wing... if you turn it over, it's less likely to be a fast break for an easy bucket. I love to catch the ball in triple threat from the 3 point on the wing and go to work. Most people won't be confident enough to play you tight out there, so a lot of the times you have room to shoot... and you have a lot of space to operate since you are far away from the basket.

It's too hard to communicate with random pickup dudes... if everybody is at the 3 point line... then drive the lane and kick out if help comes. If some dude is clogging up the middle, then just get enough space for your jumper. Make it a point to be really selfish once a game for starters... and then gradually go up until you are playing the way you want to play. We wall want to be like Jordan/Kobe/Lebron or any other great scorer, but our own minds get in the way. It's natural to play team ball when you have a role player's mentality... you need to start developing a playmaker's mentality. When you get the ball in situations you like, look for cutters... if not, look to score... help comes, dish it. It's as simple as that. Obv. you don't want to do this every time and ball dominate, but multiple times during the game you should look for yours. It's something I have to learn too... but I think it's going to feel a lot better knowing that I tried what I wanted to do out there, rather than settled for what I usually do.

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 10-08-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
623baller
dedicate

623baller has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

if you are not maximizing your skills on the court you are hurting the team. if you can get by a guy or make a jump shot, why are you holding back. if you are not confident that you'll make it then looks like you need to practice more.

also think of it as if you were defending yourself, base on your description on your style of play, i would say you can probably conclude from a third person perspective that this guy never shoots, always passes, i can probably just sag off on him all day without making myself look bad on defense and go double another guy

not saying you are, but if you are hesitant in regular pick up, you'll most likely struggle in a regulation game, or in a game where's there's stakes involved

Quote:

if you have the ball, you can do the following:

you need to be able to drive by your defender clean to create or score unless you have a killer jump shot or help defense always come. once you get by your defender, thats when the court changes, it'll turn into a 5 vs 4 , 4 vs 3, 3 vs 2. if you can't drive by your defender clean then try drive towards another defender almost like you are running into a double team on your own, when you are doubled that means someone on your team is open

you need to have a jump shot , if you can knock down shots or pull up and make a shot over people, they will have to respect your shot and get out on the preimeter on you which will open up your slash game.

Off ball:
if your team mate is ball dominate and slash a lot then cut behind him. when he makes a move, that's when you start cutting, if he miss a shot, it is likely you'll get a rebound for a put back or if he get stuck he can dish it off to you, never cut in front of him because you'll take away the lane for him and draw your defender to him

if your team mate are mostly shooters or post players. then you'll want to cut when they are setting up for a shot or move, it doesn't always have to be a cut to the basket , you need to be visible to them otherwise the cut is useless and you'll never get the ball

other things like crashing board, playing good defense, doing the dirty work will get you going on offense. when my shots are not falling, i always play the passing lane on defense and get some easy lay ups off steals

now, all of this mainly apply to man to man defense. there are other set plays designed to lock down star players

again, once you get over the hump then the game changes

i was kind of in the similar situation when i was younger so i'm some what sympathetic, once it clicked, my game took off, i had people sticking to me all the way out to mid court during my prime years simply because they dont want me to touch the ball ever, now probably around nba 3 range.......
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: