Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Confidence but not completely

The hardest part for me is probably communication, everything's fine when I play with older (maybe college-post grad) guys who are much better, cause they let me run the point and set things up and cut and stuff. But when I'm playing with the high school kids on the team, they never cut, all they do is stand on the wing and call for the ball, no picks or anything.

It's like everyone in high school is trying to run the show, because most games I'm really good at setting up an open shot (people don't cut so open layups aren't as easy), but usually I penetrate then hit a kid wide open, it always happens. But the other players on my team don't recognize that and they always try and bring the ball up themselves or give it to a kid who tries to do behind the back passes in a half court setup.

I was playing in this one game the other day, and for some reason they had one of my HS classmates bring the ball up. He was complete trash at running the offense because when he wasn't trying to score himself, he'd pass to the worst kid on the team (4 on 4). Me and the other kid, who was legit scoring were just getting ticked cause we'd be cutting and trailing and he'd always try and go in against 2 defenders and throw a wild pass out. For most of the game I was calling for the ball, I knew I could get by my defender so I'd do a v-cut and pop out, I didn't get it once when I was cutting. My points were all scored from me making my own move and bringing the ball up off a steal/rebound. We lost in the end and I was pretty annoyed but the other kid (the good scorer) straight exploded and started screaming at our PG.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

Dam.. The same thing is happening with me too. In high school,height isn't that big of a deal I guess. Centers try to go for 3's, Power forwards try to penetrate past 5 people, and stuff like that. I'm sort of in a bad situation. The coaches see me working hard, but I don't play a lot in 5v5s. My role in a game is the point guard or slasher. There are 2 people in the freshmen team that are better than me at point guard and around 3-4 people better than me at being a slasher. The bad thing is they are evenly distributed out in all the teams. I'm usually stuck playing like a 3v3 with the really bad people. All they do is sit on the 3 point line and airball all the 3's(now let's be honest. they didn't airball all of them they just made 1 out of ****in 18). Well, I must solve this dilema fast.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #18
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Exactly the same here: It's probably because no one is tall enough to play center/power forward in college so everyone tries to play guard/wingman. I think the tallest player in school is like 6'6" or something, but other than that everyone's mainly around the 6' mark.

You should take advantage of your opportunity: you have bad teammates, so now you can pretty much be the leader of your 3 on 3 team and set up the offense. When I play, I'm kind of restricted because I feel like my teammates can do things nicely and score, but since the other 2 kids on your team aren't scoring, it's time for you to pick up your takeover mentality. Don't even bother passing, you could bring the ball up and try and score. Or you could have one of the other players bring it up and you receive the ball as soon as he passes half court so they don't feel like you're being selfish.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #19
bobbyflay

Yeah, I guess I should stop being so passive. It's been gotten to a point where people are cussing at me for not playing lol. I was just examining what the sucky people could do in the game I played with them. The only things that I could find that they did good was call out for the ball. I don't know if the bad things such as shooting around 8%, not defending at all, and stuff like that overshadowed the good things. I guess it's time to rise. Hopefully we'll meet our goals and eventually get some footage of ourselves to post on youtube.

Off Topic: Oh yeah, bad thing is that my friend who is also going in basketball(the one without "love") is just being negative. He's being negative around his gf, me, and almost everyone. I just got out of a depression around a month ago, so it just kills me when he's like that.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
Yeah, I guess I should stop being so passive. It's been gotten to a point where people are cussing at me for not playing lol. I was just examining what the sucky people could do in the game I played with them. The only things that I could find that they did good was call out for the ball. I don't know if the bad things such as shooting around 8%, not defending at all, and stuff like that overshadowed the good things. I guess it's time to rise. Hopefully we'll meet our goals and eventually get some footage of ourselves to post on youtube.

Off Topic: Oh yeah, bad thing is that my friend who is also going in basketball(the one without "love") is just being negative. He's being negative around his gf, me, and almost everyone. I just got out of a depression around a month ago, so it just kills me when he's like that.

I wonder, WHY do people do that? I watch little kids play games and every one is almost the same. No movement, but lots of screaming and calling for the ball. As a PG it is probably the most annoying thing to hear, because I know where my teammates are and I'd like to think they knew that also.

Sometimes, it's useful like when a teammate has a mismatch but too often you just see people calling for the ball on the perimeter to jack up a 3.

And about your friend, you should think if he's really your friend. A true friend to me wouldn't try and tie me down/hold me back, they'd try and encourage what I did and support me. If the people around you are being negative, you should probably think about who they are and what they mean to you.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #21
bobbyflay

yeah, dam them. My friend is just either happy or sad, so I guess that's just him. He's been there with me for a long time, so I guess it's all good. Basketball has been really slow these days. I really need to find people to play with and play some games. I found out that I only used like 2 out of twenty something things in a game today(it was the hesitation pull up jumper and the carry around dribble).
Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 AM   #22
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
There's something holding me back from really sticking out on the basketball court. It's kind of like a confidence issue but it isn't me being unsure of my abilities. Basically, whenever I play pickup, I rarely play a game where I really use my skills.

I'd say I have a pretty strong set of basketball skills and fundamentals. If it was just raw skills and that only, I'd be there with the varsity players at my school. But whenever we play, my mind automatically goes to the ultra-efficient mindset. So it means that if I don't have a good look and can't quickly beat my man, I pass it off. It's not that I'm afraid to shoot, because I'll pull up whenever I'm open, but I never keep the ball on me long enough to do anything particularly useful. So I never really create any plays or break down my man.

Which means I never get any kind of legit plays. I'm a PG but I don't create. I can, but I usually don't. What exactly am I doing wrong and how do I fix this?

You have to change your mindset obviously.

If you're a PG then take control.

Create.

Run and Gun.

Have fun.

You won't be able to play ball at this level all your life so enjoy it now and don't hold back man.

I hope this helps.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
jerzymade
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jerzymade has an OK reputation so far

practice convincing yourselve until you believe. Just like when you practice by yourself you have to believe that you are getting better and all the drills you do will make you better. Preparing too is important if you know you put in hard work before you play a game and you feel the improvement then your going to be more confident from shooting to dribbling you have to be confident that everyshot will go in and the defender cant take the ball away from you.
jerzymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #24
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

"If i don't believe in myself, how can i make my team mates believe?" - Isiah Thomas
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: