Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
scm5
Good college starter

scm5 has decent reputation
Default Jumping with the ball

I can grab rim with about 5-6 inches of my hand above the rim, but when I jump with a ball, I get nowhere near as high.

Is there something I should be doing to jump higher when I have the ball on me?
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputationSwaggin916 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Jumping with the ball

Just go up as explosively as you do without the ball... however high you get is how high you get. If you can't palm the ball (or at least have a decent grip on it) it's going to be tough because you have to control the ball... and that's what takes away from your vert. Try to get high enough to where you can dunk with 2 hands... you will find that your vert with or without a ball is very minimal.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
tari813
Can barely lace up my sneakers

tari813 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
I can grab rim with about 5-6 inches of my hand above the rim, but when I jump with a ball, I get nowhere near as high.

Is there something I should be doing to jump higher when I have the ball on me?
Probably because when u jump without the ball your squatting down futher and swinging your arms up. Try to dip the ball down so when u jump up your swinging your arms up too.
tari813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A

1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster1manfastbreak is a pretty well-respected poster

its all in ur head just keep trying. sounds like u still need to get higher to dunk tho
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tari813
Probably because when u jump without the ball your squatting down futher and swinging your arms up. Try to dip the ball down so when u jump up your swinging your arms up too.
That was going to be my response too. One can probably count on not being able to jump as high with a ball in hand as without, but you can minimize that difference with a couple of small tips.

Scm5, I'm with you, I was having the same issue for a minute there. Then I stumbled upon (or rediscovered) the idea that tari813 just dropped up above. I realized I was essentially running too straight up, attacking the rim too straight up, dribbling too straight up, and then elevating too straight up.

Essentially, the upright dribble, attack, and jump was zapping me of my bounce. Once I consciously began bending my knees a little and getting lower on my approach and takeoff (off one or two feet) my dunking has stepped back into normal zone. It will add a few inches back almost immediately. Just something worthwhile to check.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
scm5
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
its all in ur head just keep trying. sounds like u still need to get higher to dunk tho

I know, I need at least 3-4 more inches at minimum, but it was discouraging to see that I was so far off with a ball in my hands compared to without the ball in my hands.

Also, I can palm the ball fairly well so it's not really an issue. I suspect the biggest issue is that in order to palm the ball, I have to have a 2 hand grip on the ball after i pick up my dribble and then swing my arms up whereas when I jump without the ball, I swing my arms up from my sides.

I will have to try again, getting lower should be a good tip thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #7
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

the reason this happens is you can't generate as much momentum without using your arms

try staying low in general always when youre on a basketball court it'll make your legs stronger than any exercise you could possibly do
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

bobbyflay has an OK reputation so far

have you tried doing a jumpstop then jumping? It helps a lot to find your rhythm.
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
scm5
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflay
have you tried doing a jumpstop then jumping? It helps a lot to find your rhythm.

I'm a 1-legged jumper, jumping with two legs only puts me like 2-3 inches above the rim.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #10
scm5
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
the reason this happens is you can't generate as much momentum without using your arms

try staying low in general always when youre on a basketball court it'll make your legs stronger than any exercise you could possibly do

I will try that, thanks.

I'm also going to try different techniques, or try and develop a technique to help me swing my arm up after palming the ball.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
RapsLakers

Im 6 feet but could only grab the rim
Old 10-09-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
LA KB24
LAL|LAC

LA KB24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsLakers
Im 6 feet but could only grab the rim
Same here, but I'm 6'2... White man can't jump

I really need to start doing those vert programs.
LA KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:00 AM   #13
Snapwebsolution
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Snapwebsolution has an OK reputation so far

You can Undergo 3-5 week strength phase for upper and lower body.