Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here
Default In memoriam: Ben Wilson

I made a player in 2k11 [and in 2k10] named Ben "Benji" Wilson because of a young man who was killed in Chicago in 1984 when I was a small child. Years after his death people still talk about the kid from Chicago who was touted as the #1 HS player in the nation [first time ever for a Chicagoan].

From what I remember from stories is that he was a tall lanky point guard that blossomed late. He was a teammate of Nick Anderson and slated to play for the Illini. He attended Simeon just like Derrick Rose and wore the same number (25).

From a Nike Ad:

"One out of every five black men die before they reach the age of twenty-five.
That was Benji's number. Benji was the first in Chicago history to ever be named top high school player in the nation, right before he was gunned down.
But you know what? Benji's not dead: Benji's spirit lives on in every jump shot.
Remember: Shoot over brothas, not at them."

Last edited by Go Getter : 10-08-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: In memorandum: Ben Wilson

Birth: Mar. 18, 1967
Chicago
Cook County
Illinois, USA
Death: Nov. 21, 1984
Chicago
Cook County
Illinois, USA

Basketball Player. Ben "Benji" Wilson was widely regarded as the best high school basketball player in the country heading into the 1984-85 season. On the eve of his senior season, as he walked down the sidewalk near his school, Wilson was shot and killed. As a junior, he led Simeon Vocational High School of Chicago (now known as Simeon Career Academy) to the state title. Wilson was 6 feet 8 and adjusted into his quickly growing body while retaining passing and ball handling ability from his days as a guard. Wilson was invited to attend the prestigious Nike All-American camp. His versatility and feel for the game led many recruiting observers and head coaches to label Wilson the No. 1 player in the nation going into his senior season. His future seemed secure - just a few years in college before riches in the National Basketball Association (NBA). It was not to be. Instead, on November 20, 1984, a tragic serious of events resulted in Wilson's murder. As he walked between two gang members, Wilson accidentally bumped one of the youths. Wilson immediately excused himself, but his perceived act of disrespect angered them. A gun was pulled out and Wilson was shot. He died the next day. Wilson's death touched a nerve, producing outrage and demands for street violence to end. The tragic story was highlighted on local and network TV news. His wake lasted 12 hours and was attended by more than 10,000 people. Wilson's death highlighted the cycle of violence in urban areas in the United States, whereby young people – even promising young athletes – are killed in senseless violence.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
PowerGlove
By Any Means

PowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePowerGlove is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by warming
Shakespeare said,you good,me good,everyone good.Good thing should be share with others.I don’t remember whether he had said this words.But I want to share with you good thing.The thing will let you cost the least money to get the best thing.(such as Jordan shoes and other designer shoes,clothes,LV bags.All are in cheap price.)If you don't believe me,then go to experienece by yourself.

http://www.rescuewallet.com

REPORTED.

@ Go Getter, that is terrible. Gun Violence is out of control, I remember a slam article about Toronto prep stars playing in the US because the jealousy was out of control. His brother was hit in a driveby and then his mother made him go to prep school in Atlanta. I dont think he ever turned out to be much, I cant remember his name, but all the senseless BS needs to stop. The sad thing is, Ben probably would have given back to his community once he made it.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Memoriam. Memorandums are handed around offices.

Cool thing to do though.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Memoriam. Memorandums are handed around offices.

Cool thing to do though.
Thanks man my bad.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

One of the greatest tragedies in basketball history and possibly the best player ever to come out of Chicago. It never ends with the gun violence, not in Chicago especially. We received yet another reminder of it a few weeks ago when Illinois recruit Mycheal Henry's little brother was killed in much the same matter, catching a bullet that wasn't meant for him.

Benji should never be forgotten.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
One of the greatest tragedies in basketball history and possibly the best player ever to come out of Chicago. It never ends with the gun violence, not in Chicago especially. We received yet another reminder of it a few weeks ago when Illinois recruit Mycheal Henry's little brother was killed in much the same matter, catching a bullet that wasn't meant for him.

Benji should never be forgotten.

Indeed.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thanks for the knowledge. I'm glad I learned about him.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #9
Maniak
CAVS FAN FOR LIFE

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Remember: Shoot over brothas, not at them."

Thats a really cool quote. Great thread. Really wish I coulda seen Ben go farther with his basketball career.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Kobe8
Banned

Kobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong wayKobe8 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

couldve been better than magic and stockton or both of them atleast = ben
Kobe8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #11
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Heard about this story awhile ago. Glad someone mentioned it on ISH.

His death basically would've been something like a high profile guy like Wall, Rose, or LeBron being killed before their senior year of HS. Imagine how the country would react today with a guy with such a bright future being killed?

Shit is pathetic. I dont understand why their is such a culture of hatred towards successful people.

Go Getter, go check out the Hoop Dreams II. I forgot the original name, but it chronicles Patrick Beverly and the stuff he went through just to get to college.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe

His death basically would've been something like a high profile guy like Wall, Rose, or LeBron being killed before their senior year of HS. Imagine how the country would react today with a guy with such a bright future being killed?

Shit is pathetic. I dont understand why their is such a culture of hatred towards successful people.

Go Getter, go check out the Hoop Dreams II. I forgot the original name, but it chronicles Patrick Beverly and the stuff he went through just to get to college.
I'm pretty sure the guys who killed Wilson had no idea who he was.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #13
Blzrfn
Decent playground baller

Blzrfn has an OK reputation so far

I remember that incident. I was in sixth grade when that happened. I remember seeing the report on the evening news. I didn't know that he was the best player in the nation at the time until recently. Sad story.
Blzrfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe

I will. The first Hoop Dreams was about two kids, one that went to St. Joe's or John's iirc?

Last edited by Go Getter : 10-13-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Re: In memoriam: Ben Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
From what I remember from stories is that he was a tall lanky point guard that blossomed late. He was a teammate of Nick Anderson and slated to play for the Illini. He attended Simeon just like Derrick Rose and wore the same number (25).
Actually Benji's #25 has become a Simeon tradition. The best player on the team wears the #25.

I spend a little time in Chicago every year but had never heard the story until two years ago. Unbelievable story and truly tragic that it is not something that more people know of.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: