Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
VishaltotheG
College star

Default Ninja Warrior

Anyone watch it? It's actually pretty entertaianing, especially the women's edition.
VishaltotheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Default Re: Ninja Warrior

I've been watching it for a few years now.

Shingo Yamamoto is my all-time favorite competitor.

As for American Ninja Warrior, I miss my dude Levi Meeuwenberg, but the new crop has some exciting talent like Elet Hall and Daniel "Flip" Rodriguez.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
DuMa
Canned

the japanese format is better in some ways.

and im amazed how people work so hard to get on this show only run it once a full year and yet do some stupid mistakes like that guy who finished the course but hit the buzzer .3s too late. wasted a lot of time between obstacles
DuMa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
kaiteng
EXCITED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
the japanese format is better in some ways.

and im amazed how people work so hard to get on this show only run it once a full year and yet do some stupid mistakes like that guy who finished the course but hit the buzzer .3s too late. wasted a lot of time between obstacles
Those people don't take it seriously enough. There should be enough information about the course so they could plan it out beforehand and train with. But yeah, nerves are other things.
kaiteng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA lottery pick

A little like Pawn Stars, this show is paced in a way where there just seems to be no limit to how much of it I can watch. All of a sudden I look up and it's 7:00 Sunday Night. It's weird.

I also prefer the Japanese version, mostly for the strangeness. But the American version has improved over the last couple seasons. Just the production value, and the quality of the athletes. It seems now that the American version is probably producing better competitors, or at least it's being edited that way.

There was a team free running show I think just last summer, and a lot of the better guys were on that. Levi Meewenburg, Frosty Zernow, Flip Rodriguez.

There was a Harlem Globetrotter on there a few years ago who was 6-5, and he pretty much walked through the course. Although that was a couple years ago and they didn't have as much of the upper body obstacles. The Salmon ladder looks to me like it'd be borderline impossible.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
Anyone watch it? It's actually pretty entertaianing, especially the women's edition.
i watch it. i think i could get pass the prelims and most of the semi finals, but the finals course looks hard as shit, especially since it's timed. they have a ninja warrior gym in my town now. i wanna join it but it's n the other side of town from where i live.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
KyleKong
ISH Rookie of The Year

MXC > Ninja Warrior.
KyleKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
The Salmon ladder looks to me like it'd be borderline impossible.

It's tough, but not as tough as it looks. All you have to do is master the pull-up. Get yourself to around 10-15 reps and you're prepared to start training on a Salmon Ladder.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
It's tough, but not as tough as it looks. All you have to do is master the pull-up. Get yourself to around 10-15 reps and you're prepared to start training on a Salmon Ladder.
yeah, if you can do a powerful pull up where you are practically throwing yourself into the air (or a muscle up) then you can do the salmon ladder.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle

The issue isn't strength, speed or agility with the competitors, it's the endurance. Even the best guys just gas out by the end of the course. And the American version has people that are just too heavy or tall, there is a reason why only the Japanese have cleared the whole thing. They are small enough to not strain themselves too hard, yet quick and powerful enough to actually get past the stages that require different attributes. And their diet helps too, eating sea food and other healthy products all your life keeps your body in perfect form. But when watching the American version you can tell those guys work on their strength and muscle tone too much instead of focusing on the endurance and breathing. I miss the Japanese version and my favorite player was that old fisherman that actually went all the way and climbed to the top.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
The issue isn't strength, speed or agility with the competitors, it's the endurance. Even the best guys just gas out by the end of the course. And the American version has people that are just too heavy or tall, there is a reason why only the Japanese have cleared the whole thing. They are small enough to not strain themselves too hard, yet quick and powerful enough to actually get past the stages that require different attributes. And their diet helps too, eating sea food and other healthy products all your life keeps your body in perfect form. But when watching the American version you can tell those guys work on their strength and muscle tone too much instead of focusing on the endurance and breathing. I miss the Japanese version and my favorite player was that old fisherman that actually went all the way and climbed to the top.

A lot of American competitors this season have the perfect body types for the course like their Japanese counterparts.

Makoto Nagano was a badass. I remember when Olivia Munn fell in the water after attempting the Japanese course a few years ago, she yelled "Naganooooooo!!" at the top of her lungs. Cracked me up.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

Makoto Nagano
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

I don't recall ever seeing this dude on the show, but his submission video is beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iclvPOq5ftg
Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #14
Immortal Bum
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleKong
MXC > Ninja Warrior.

i've never seen ninja warrior,but i used to watch mxc all the time. are they the same?
Immortal Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Anybody watch the Finale of American Ninja Warrior?

Amazing run. The Americans will be beastly next season after being inspired by that.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: