Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
MannyO
Super Cool E

MannyO has decent reputation
Default Gametime Problems

I have a very frustrating problem. During shootarounds, scrimmages, pickup games and so on I do fine I just play the game and play well. But when a real game comes I start to miss my shots, make bad decisions, thinking too much, shooting too strong, and all sorts. I don't know what gets into me its like I start rushing things and forcing the action. My goal is to average 20 pts a game not that I am going to be selfish or anything but 5 layups each half shouldn't be too much. Also I have to play off the ball so I really am trying to find a way to get open create space and score.

Can someone give me advice for game time situations, because I feel hesitant during games and second guess shots.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Gametime Problems

hey let us a see a tape of you playing ..
How can you score 20 ppg and have that gametime problems? It's impossible .. or you play against poor guys or you are an incredible player.
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
ImmortalNemesis
Not Brazil 2014

ImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableImmortalNemesis is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
hey let us a see a tape of you playing ..
How can you score 20 ppg and have that gametime problems? It's impossible .. or you play against poor guys or you are an incredible player.

He said his goal is to average 20 ppg.
ImmortalNemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
miamiandorlando
Serious playground baller

miamiandorlando is popular on this boardmiamiandorlando is popular on this boardmiamiandorlando is popular on this boardmiamiandorlando is popular on this boardmiamiandorlando is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
I have a very frustrating problem. During shootarounds, scrimmages, pickup games and so on I do fine I just play the game and play well. But when a real game comes I start to miss my shots, make bad decisions, thinking too much, shooting too strong, and all sorts. I don't know what gets into me its like I start rushing things and forcing the action. My goal is to average 20 pts a game not that I am going to be selfish or anything but 5 layups each half shouldn't be too much. Also I have to play off the ball so I really am trying to find a way to get open create space and score.

Can someone give me advice for game time situations, because I feel hesitant during games and second guess shots.

i hesitate too
miamiandorlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Maga_1

Maga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMaga_1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalNemesis
He said his goal is to average 20 ppg.

So .. to average 20 you need to be good. Don't you?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think we all struggle with the gametime jitters or hesitancy at one point or another. I had some go-to thought processes that helped bust me out of that funk, even though I'm not sure I ever truly felt as free on a basketball court during a real game as I did anywhere else.

First of all, there had to be a point where I'd check myself and just ask, "Who cares?" When I had nerves on the floor or played with slight reluctance, it wasn't because I was afraid of failing for me, it was because I was afraid of failing in front of everyone that was there.

A big game for me was when 3,000 people would show up. You know what though? No one cared. If I scored 23 points and hit the game-winning free throws, all my friends and family would just forget about it a day later. I mean, they'd remember it, but in terms of registering on their "what I truly care about" scale, I was hardly a blip. Fortunately, it worked the other way around just as well. If I shot 1-8 and missed a point blank tip at the buzzer, people will groan, teammates will be upset, then they'll move on. Point being: anything we do on the floor is really not that big of a deal to everyone. One should find comfort in that. So what if you screw up?

Second, I struggled with my own confidence at times. When playing at any other level of ball, I was often familiar with my opponents. How good they were, how good I was in comparison, etc. Playing on a real club can sort of throw a lot of those expectations out of wac. I've been guilty of being so unfamiliar with my opponents that I just assumed they were all better than me at every aspect of the game.

It took me getting to a point in mid-high school where I just had to be a little bit of a punk. Instead of coming out of the gate wondering "alright, who on the other teams' going to be better than me and therefore stop me from playing well", I had to come out thinking like a jerk, with a "Welp, this sucks for the other squad, because they're not going to be able to stop me" attitude. The touch of death for the opposing team used to be when their coach would refer to me by first name in the pre-game handshake. When I discovered another team was aware of who I was, I knew I was going to have the upper hand. It let me know they were worried about me.

Finally, just stop thinking so much. Sometimes it pays to be stupid. I say this: what are you thinking when you miss a shot at the playground or at open gym? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you probably just run back downcourt and bide your time by playing hard until you get an opportunity to fire up another look.

Now, what do you think when you miss a shot in a real game? Are you thinking about how you should have made it? How now you need to make the next shot to make up for your last miss? How each subsequent miss is going to negatively affect your goal of averaging 20 points per game? Just forget it. If you miss a wide open breakaway dunk, just move on to the next play. It's not a big deal and no one cares. It's just basketball. I'm going to guess in your case it's not big time college ball or the NBA, in which case, anything horrible you do will stick with exactly zero people in the long run.

It's great playing awesome basketball in front of your family and peers. If you do great, it's a bonus, they'll congratulate you and smother you with kisses, fist bumps and butt slaps. But honestly, if you do horribly, your friends, family and even coaches will support you and love you anyway. It's a win-win for you.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 10-14-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I think we all struggle with the gametime jitters or hesitancy at one point or another. I had some go-to thought processes that helped bust me out of that funk, even though I'm not sure I ever truly felt as free on a basketball court during a real game as I did anywhere else.

First of all, there had to be a point where I'd check myself and just ask, "Who cares?" When I had nerves on the floor or played with slight reluctance, it wasn't because I was afraid of failing for me, it was because I was afraid of failing in front of everyone that was there.

A big game for me was when 3,000 people would show up. You know what though? No one cared. If I scored 23 points and hit the game-winning free throws, all my friends and family would just forget about it a day later. I mean, they'd remember it, but in terms of registering on their "what I truly care about" scale, I was hardly a blip. Fortunately, it worked the other way around just as well. If I shot 1-8 and missed a point blank tip at the buzzer, people will groan, teammates will be upset, then they'll move on. Point being: anything we do on the floor is really not that big of a deal to everyone. One should find comfort in that. So what if you screw up?

Second, I struggled with my own confidence at times. When playing at any other level of ball, I was often familiar with my opponents. How good they were, how good I was in comparison, etc. Playing on a real club can sort of throw a lot of those expectations out of wac. I've been guilty of being so unfamiliar with my opponents that I just assumed they were all better than me at every aspect of the game.

It took me getting to a point in mid-high school where I just had to be a little bit of a punk. Instead of coming out of the gate wondering "alright, who on the other teams' going to be better than me and therefore stop me from playing well", I had to come out thinking like a jerk, with a "Welp, this sucks for the other squad, because they're not going to be able to stop me" attitude. The touch of death for the opposing team used to be when their coach would refer to me by first name in the pre-game handshake. When I discovered another team was aware of who I was, I knew I was going to have the upper hand. It let me know they were worried about me.

Finally, just stop thinking so much. Sometimes it pays to be stupid. I say this: what are you thinking when you miss a shot at the playground or at open gym? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you probably just run back downcourt and bide your time by playing hard until you get an opportunity to fire up another look.

Now, what do you think when you miss a shot in a real game? Are you thinking about how you should have made it? How now you need to make the next shot to make up for your last miss? How each subsequent miss is going to negatively affect your goal of averaging 20 points per game? Just forget it. If you miss a wide open breakaway dunk, just move on to the next play. It's not a big deal and no one cares. It's just basketball. I'm going to guess in your case it's not big time college ball or the NBA, in which case, anything horrible you do will stick with exactly zero people in the long run.

It's great playing awesome basketball in front of your family and peers. If you do great, it's a bonus, they'll congratulate you and smother you with kisses, fist bumps and butt slaps. But honestly, if you do horribly, your friends, family and even coaches will support you and love you anyway. It's a win-win for you.

yea this is true, but the thing is I can shoot, and score but in a game setting if I miss like 2-3 shots I feel like my teammates will stop going back to me. In the summer league I played decent I used to score like 14-16 pts but then we got a transfer that now takes alot of shots himself so now there is a battle for who is going to be the offensive player. The things i have over him are height, strength, speed, quickness, and I also believe I am a better driver than him. After I dislocated my thumb my game has not been the same, I always have to baby it. So that slowed me down but I still believe I can be the scorer sometimes I just get nervous for no reason.

Btw if I was not good why will I even bother trying to average 20 ppg? -_-
Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
Maga_1

Quote:

thats why i asked you .
For my experience the players that are scorers are always confident, if they miss 1, 2 or 10 .. they continue to shoot.
And, weren't you in a All Star camp or something to see the best 40 players in your city?
I just asked for a video .. i really appreciate seeing people that i "know" playing.

Remember LilOJ? We pm'd like 2 or 3 days and we sent videos , i enjoyed a lot.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
yea this is true, but the thing is I can shoot, and score but in a game setting if I miss like 2-3 shots I feel like my teammates will stop going back to me. In the summer league I played decent I used to score like 14-16 pts but then we got a transfer that now takes alot of shots himself so now there is a battle for who is going to be the offensive player. The things i have over him are height, strength, speed, quickness, and I also believe I am a better driver than him. After I dislocated my thumb my game has not been the same, I always have to baby it. So that slowed me down but I still believe I can be the scorer sometimes I just get nervous for no reason.

If you two are competing with each other to try and be a better offensive player, it will be bad for your team. A great offensive player doesn't look to create for himself, he looks to create for what's best for the team. So don't hold back if he's calling for the ball because if he's near your offensive level, you'd be wasting his skills by shutting him out.

Combine both of your skills, don't try and best one another. That only leads to inflated stat lines, hurt egos and lost games. Remember that a win is much more than 20 ppg. Not saying you shouldn't be a scorer, but just remember that 20 ppg should be a target and not a minimum.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
thats why i asked you .
For my experience the players that are scorers are always confident, if they miss 1, 2 or 10 .. they continue to shoot.
And, weren't you in a All Star camp or something to see the best 40 players in your city?
I just asked for a video .. i really appreciate seeing people that i "know" playing.

Remember LilOJ? We pm'd like 2 or 3 days and we sent videos , i enjoyed a lot.

yea I posted a few videos before of my practicing/working out. Ill come with some game videos soon.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
If you two are competing with each other to try and be a better offensive player, it will be bad for your team. A great offensive player doesn't look to create for himself, he looks to create for what's best for the team. So don't hold back if he's calling for the ball because if he's near your offensive level, you'd be wasting his skills by shutting him out.

Combine both of your skills, don't try and best one another. That only leads to inflated stat lines, hurt egos and lost games. Remember that a win is much more than 20 ppg. Not saying you shouldn't be a scorer, but just remember that 20 ppg should be a target and not a minimum.

yea before I never really cared how much I scored or anything, but now its my senior year of HS and I really want to have this breakout year to propel me to the next level.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
Maga_1

Quote:
yea I posted a few videos before of my practicing/working out. Ill come with some game videos soon.

Where can i found them? Show me the links please
Old 10-14-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
MannyO
Super Cool E

i forgot what I called it, but if you check a bit back it will be the subject that says something like "working on my ballhandling" cant remember but can you check the threads started by me?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #14
Maga_1

Quote:
i forgot what I called it, but if you check a bit back it will be the subject that says something like "working on my ballhandling" cant remember but can you check the threads started by me?

I searched 15 pages and i didn't saw anything
Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #15
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
yea before I never really cared how much I scored or anything, but now its my senior year of HS and I really want to have this breakout year to propel me to the next level.
What Carp mentioned is all right on the money. But on that same hand, I totally feel what you're saying. I've been in that situation as a player and I see that situation as a coach every year.

I led my team in scoring my junior year, was on my way up the ladder, big things were a-brewing for my senior year. Truth be told, I had an alright senior year, but one of my teammates blew up the spot. He worked really hard on his game and he came out blazing, dropping numerous games of 30+. He was propelling us to victory, and you know what I did? I got pissed. Even when we dropped our rival thanks to my teammate dropping a school record 8 triples, postgame I said to myself, "Whatever, I had seven freaking points. I'm better than that guy. We always clearing out for him and it sucks."

I was afraid noone would notice me. And it was true, because I tended to withdraw from games and get a little bitter at times when my buddy started going bonkers. The truth is that I could have covered a slew of categories in which I was better than this guy, but that's not the point and it never will be. You can only deal with what is presented with you.

Like Carp said, if there's a competition within your own team, there's going to be disastrous results. In retrospect, how would I have handled switching from being the number 1 guy to being the number 2 guy? I would have embraced the darn thing. As a coach, or even as a fan, we can pick up on things that a lot of players don't realize. When you're a ballplayer, it's easy to assume you're just being noticed by how many points you score or how many sweet moves you pull off. False. Recruiters, coaches, fans, family members can all pick up on those hints where a player seems slightly upset about a teammates' success, or is withdrawing or forcing the issue after missing a shot or two.

Like I've mentioned before, when I watch a player play, it's not really the scoring that blows me away or makes me say, "Man, that's a good player". More often, it's what he does after he misses an easy bunny. Does he stand there as the other team breaks out the other way? Or does he sprint back to lock down on D? When his teammate is clearly stealing his sunshine (either by making a ton of shots or missing a ton), is that guy embracing his teammates' success or is he looking to make up for lost shot attempts by jacking shots anytime he touches the ball? Will he support his team by throwing statistics out the window and just doing the little things?

Believe it or not, a lot of coaches or recruiters' judgments on player's abilities in high school has nothing to do with points per game averages. Often, it has everything to do with how you handle your role, how you play the game, and how you respond to crisis.

Also, if you're tentative due to a past injury, you may as well not play. If you have the medical greenlight, then just go buckwild. There's no other way.

Finally, if you're just playing your game, don't start thinking about what your teammates are thinking. This was a serious issue during my sophomore varsity year. If I missed a jumper, I'd scan all the upperclassman's eyes to see if they were scowling. Most high school players are going to shoot under 50%. You're missing one out of two shots. Accept it. If they're good shots (i.e. not fallaways over double teams) then you've got nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 10-19-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: