Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: Gametime Problems

Lot of good advice and info from Rake.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Yeah great post Rake, I think it's key that you work with your teammate, because the coaches will definitely notice him and if they see him not receiving the ball enough, they'll look to the source of the problem and find you putting up shot after shot, you better be making them cause if not, they'll see that you're really forcing the issue. And even if you're making them, Kobe style fade aways over 2 defenders aren't good shots so they'll think you're a bad decision maker.

Now compare if you work with your teammate. You guys could put up around 40 points per night and they'll be all over you. They'll think about how you two are unselfish, great teammates and excellent leaders. In fact, sacrificing just a little bit of your points will probably make you look much better. It also helps your team, because when they see 2 players actively involved in the offense, they'll be more involved as well. How many times have you seen a team where 1 player does everything? Watch the Lakers in late game situations. Apart from an occasional screen, most of Kobe's teammates iso out and stand straight. Not crouched ready to catch and shoot, but just standing without many cuts.

The more players you involve in the offense, the more active they'll be and the better rotation you'll have. It'll make your scoring load easier as well.

And one thing I forgot to mention: get to the line. I scan the draftexpress site and top 50 NBA player lists and one thing I constantly see under weaknesses is: "Ability to get to free throw line", "Free throws attempted", etc. It is so overlooked yet so effective. Coaches are looking for that because it puts the other team in a jam while providing easy points for yourself.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:47 PM   #18
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Yeah great post Rake, I think it's key that you work with your teammate, because the coaches will definitely notice him and if they see him not receiving the ball enough, they'll look to the source of the problem and find you putting up shot after shot, you better be making them cause if not, they'll see that you're really forcing the issue. And even if you're making them, Kobe style fade aways over 2 defenders aren't good shots so they'll think you're a bad decision maker.

Now compare if you work with your teammate. You guys could put up around 40 points per night and they'll be all over you. They'll think about how you two are unselfish, great teammates and excellent leaders. In fact, sacrificing just a little bit of your points will probably make you look much better. It also helps your team, because when they see 2 players actively involved in the offense, they'll be more involved as well. How many times have you seen a team where 1 player does everything? Watch the Lakers in late game situations. Apart from an occasional screen, most of Kobe's teammates iso out and stand straight. Not crouched ready to catch and shoot, but just standing without many cuts.

The more players you involve in the offense, the more active they'll be and the better rotation you'll have. It'll make your scoring load easier as well.

And one thing I forgot to mention: get to the line. I scan the draftexpress site and top 50 NBA player lists and one thing I constantly see under weaknesses is: "Ability to get to free throw line", "Free throws attempted", etc. It is so overlooked yet so effective. Coaches are looking for that because it puts the other team in a jam while providing easy points for yourself.

No... coaches appreciate scorers/ playmakers... so if your not scoring, you better have great D, or rebounding, or be a great passer. Any bum off the strret can be unselfish and work together, only a select few guys can drop 30.
This is for regulation games in high school, streetball and other leagues are different
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #19
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
No... coaches appreciate scorers/ playmakers... so if your not scoring, you better have great D, or rebounding, or be a great passer. Any bum off the strret can be unselfish and work together, only a select few guys can drop 30.
This is for regulation games in high school, streetball and other leagues are different

Well in OP's case he's a developing scorer and so is his teammate, so I'm saying if they work together it'll be impressive.

I'm thinking OP is also strong in the other areas of his game, as he is probably in the top tier of players on his team.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
bobbyflay
Kids at the park dunk on me

Yeah the simple things are so overlooked. I have a similar problem too. The freshmen team agreed I was the best one at shooting mid range jump shots, best one at ball handling, one of 3 best ones at shooting 3's, one of 3 best ones at penetrating, 2nd best passer in the team, 2nd best defender in the team, 4th highest jumper/rebounder, and the smartest on the team. Well the thing is that they never pick me. They always pick me last on a team. Why? It's because I have gametime problems such as yourself I believe. In horse, I have to start out with the letter s to give the people I play with a chance. Not to be cocky also but, I never lost a 1v1 yet(will probably this year from the jv/varsity randomly challenging me lol). I just am missing something that I can't seem to figure out. There is one clue though... My friend said that when he did play a game with me with fellow freshmens, he spotted fear and confusion in me. What should I change? :O
bobbyflay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #21
623baller
dedicate

i think you need to look at what are the type of shots you are taking and missing the most and work on it during practice

confidence can be built if you put in the work.

The moment you hesitate and start 2nd guessing yourself that's when defense got you where they want it

what position are you playing and what is your role on the team?

unless you are the first or second option, it's will be hard for you to consistently score 20+ . not saying it's not possible but it'll be hard to consistently avg 20 ppg.
623baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:37 AM   #22
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 623baller
i think you need to look at what are the type of shots you are taking and missing the most and work on it during practice

confidence can be built if you put in the work.

The moment you hesitate and start 2nd guessing yourself that's when defense got you where they want it

what position are you playing and what is your role on the team?

unless you are the first or second option, it's will be hard for you to consistently score 20+ . not saying it's not possible but it'll be hard to consistently avg 20 ppg.

Unless you go play for the Lakers, jk
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #23
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpevicis
Yeah great post Rake, I think it's key that you work with your teammate, because the coaches will definitely notice him and if they see him not receiving the ball enough, they'll look to the source of the problem and find you putting up shot after shot, you better be making them cause if not, they'll see that you're really forcing the issue.And even if you're making them, Kobe style fade aways over 2 defenders aren't good shots so they'll think you're a bad decision maker.

The key is to shoot good shots... and to do that, you have to be able to get good shots for yourself. Kobe can get good shots whenever he wants, he is jut an idiot and thinks he can make anything from anywhere over anyone. Lebron takes good shots, D wade takes good shots, D-Rose, Stephen curry... most good scorers get good looks and take good shots. Everybody jacks up a bad shot every now and then if they are feeling it or towards the end of the shotclock... but you can't use Kobe as an example. We all know he can be an extremely inefficient player, and the name of the game is to be as efficient as possible. Most people just aren't able to (or at least think they aren't able to) create good shots for themselves, hence the passive tendencies. Nobody wants to be the guy taking bad shots... but if you take a good shot, nobody has the right to be upset with you shooting (they still might be tho because everyone wants to get theirs... that's just the way it goes). I see guys turning down good looks tho, and you just can't do that. Also, when you get those guys who pass you the ball and say go to work, don't think "F this guy I don't play that way." Instead, think to yourself "Ok, now not only do I have the green light for myself, now others are giving me the greenlight... This is great!"

Quote:

Good players don't have to sacrifice... And once again, Kobe is the exception to this. You know when he is sacrificing his scoring. Most players will just make the correct play. You don't talk much about Lebron sacrificing his scoring because he's always making the correct play: looking to score and then dishing it to the open guy. Kobe tho, he'll just come out and play like "I'm going to play the team game tonight."... and it just shouldn't be like that. If you have 40 really good looks for yourself, then you should take 40 shots... but you won't ever get 40 good looks... out of those 40 plays, maybe 20 will be end up being good looks... and maybe 5 of those 20 you will have a good look, but a teammate has a great look... and then the other 15 you make the correct play and dish it to your teammate... You end up taking 15 shots while looking to score 40 times. Hopefully you scored 7+ times... but we all have off days.

I'm not just saying as soon as you get the ball look to score... I mean we all know the idiots like that and they are terrible and no fun to play with (usually very turnover prone). I can't tell you how many times a guy will get the ball in the post and immediately put the ball on the floor and try to score... that' going to be a turnover half the time cus they have no idea where anyone on the floor is. Survey the floor, look for cutters, look for good areas to attack. Sometimes it will be there immediately and that's when you can't hesitate. Dirk is great at that. He'll catch the ball and if his man is giving him too much space, he just lets it fly. You just have to approach the game like everytime you catch the ball you are ready to score... it's just that simple if you want to be a good scorer.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #24
MannyO
Super Cool E

Ok I understand what you guys are saying now and it really gives me an entirely different view on offense. Since I was playing passive I made the defense relax too much and focus on one or two players. Now I am going to be actively looking to score every time. In our last practice we actually worked on the triangle offense (not even joking). The great thing about the this offense is that everyone gets an opportunity to score and it is based on timing & reads which is why it is hard to learn. In practice we executed it flawlessly on both sides and hopefully in games it will be just as flawless.

Ok I want to give a situation and can someone help me figure out what to do in an instance like this.

The PG brings the ball down and our team is in a basic motion set with me on the perimeter. The PG passes it to me, my defender is about and arms length away and my teammates are standing still. Lets say the defense is in a 2-3 zone. How will I attack this defense?
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #25
dwadefan11
God is love Rev Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
Ok I understand what you guys are saying now and it really gives me an entirely different view on offense. Since I was playing passive I made the defense relax too much and focus on one or two players. Now I am going to be actively looking to score every time. In our last practice we actually worked on the triangle offense (not even joking). The great thing about the this offense is that everyone gets an opportunity to score and it is based on timing & reads which is why it is hard to learn. In practice we executed it flawlessly on both sides and hopefully in games it will be just as flawless.

Ok I want to give a situation and can someone help me figure out what to do in an instance like this.

The PG brings the ball down and our team is in a basic motion set with me on the perimeter. The PG passes it to me, my defender is about and arms length away and my teammates are standing still. Lets say the defense is in a 2-3 zone. How will I attack this defense?

This is a tough zone for a scorer but:
Dont be afraid to shoot-Open shot on the wing, let it fly

Use pass fakes then attack-Zones bite on these a lot and give you angles

Get out in the open court-Easiest way to score on zone

Get to the paint-Even if it a zone try to battle to the paint, get a short shot or an easy assist

Range-If you get hot and have range, step out and force the D to play you, if they dont, shoot
dwadefan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
MannyO
Super Cool E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwadefan11
This is a tough zone for a scorer but:
Dont be afraid to shoot-Open shot on the wing, let it fly

Use pass fakes then attack-Zones bite on these a lot and give you angles

Get out in the open court-Easiest way to score on zone

Get to the paint-Even if it a zone try to battle to the paint, get a short shot or an easy assist

Range-If you get hot and have range, step out and force the D to play you, if they dont, shoot

ok thanks really nice tips.

Another question I need to ask instead of making a new thread:

How can I be smooth with the basketball?
It may sound silly but some people say I play too robotic at times. Like some players just have a really smooth game and makes it look effortless.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #27
trig
Decent college freshman

what is your current avg?
what is your current role on your team?
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #28
magnax1
Not a mormon

I luckily don't have that problem. I have huge problems with jump shooting consistency. All I can say is that you just need to practice whatever move you use over and over until you use it the same way every time and make it most every time, and then you should be fine.
Also, playing defense always gets my confidence up. If you can get some dominant stops and some steals one defense, offense usually feels easier.
Or if you can't score, it's not a big deal. There are many other ways to play well. Play D, pass the ball and make some shots for the rest of your team, and try to get some rebounds. Don't try to limit yourself into the role of a scorer, because some people just aren't scorers and fit into other roles better.

Last edited by magnax1 : 10-28-2010 at 04:48 PM.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #29
JJ81
Good college starter

How old are you? It sounds like you just need to keep playing basketball and get more competitive game experience.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:13 AM   #30
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

I think he has quite a bit of game experience, but sometimes it is just as simple as that. I know for me when I don't play for a while, when I come back, my mind just isn't right... and that's just in pickup. It takes me a few times before I start getting comfortable again. Playing in real competitive games, I'm sure that's much harder to get adjusted to. Playing free definitely has to be a goal of everyone. Even if you are just role player, playing free and comfortable in your role... that's something to strive for because you will be a much more effective player.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: